Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Cruises
Reload this Page >

Cruise from the West Coast of US to Hawaii?

Old Feb 2, 19, 7:59 am
Original Poster
Marriott Contributor Badge

Programs: Only what my AmEx Plat offers me

Looking for a small luxury cruise ship from the West coast of the US ( LA, SF, SEA) to Hawaii where we can get off for a few days and then fly home. My web searches have been weak with only one cruise I can find in Jan '20 on Azamara...but it is nearly sold out ( except for the lower end cabins).

Looking for something in 2020 on a ship with 700 or fewer passengers.

Thanks in advance for any leads.
Old Feb 2, 19, 8:09 am

Programs: AA EXP, DL Silver, Global Entry
Originally Posted by david55 View Post
Looking for a small luxury cruise ship from the West coast of the US ( LA, SF, SEA) to Hawaii where we can get off for a few days and then fly home. My web searches have been weak with only one cruise I can find in Jan '20 on Azamara...but it is nearly sold out ( except for the lower end cabins).

Looking for something in 2020 on a ship with 700 or fewer passengers.

Thanks in advance for any leads.
Good luck with trying to find a luxury line that does that itinerary. Unless it’s a rare segment of a “world cruise” almost none of the small lines run that route. A quick look at Seabourn, Silversea, and Viking doesn’t show any cruise itinerary that includes Hawaii regardless of origin.
Old Feb 2, 19, 8:37 am

Programs: Delta Gold (2020)
For a nice broad search, go to vacationstogo.com and enter your dates, Hawaii as region. (I use that site all the time for searching; have never used it as a travel agent) Regent has Hawaii on its 2020 world cruise, no clue what the individual segment would be. Crystal has some but their ships are larger than 700 pax. Looks like most of the ships are Southern CA to Tahiti, stopping at Hawaii en route. I would think, due to Jones Act, going LA to Hawaii wouldn't work for disembarkation? Celebrity sales Vancouver to Honolulu (avoiding Jones Act issues), but that's not a small luxury ship.
Old Feb 2, 19, 9:47 am

Programs: Au: UA, Marriott, Hilton; Ex-HA Pt (now not), GE
Here is the source for all scheduled cruise ship port calls in Hawaii:

Harbors Passenger & Cruise Schedules

https://hawaii.portcall.com/#!?tab=2

ETA: Seabourn Sojourn will be here in Hawaii in May 2020.

Last edited by 747FC; Feb 2, 19 at 9:53 am
Old Feb 2, 19, 10:00 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by 747FC View Post
Here is the source for all scheduled cruise ship port calls in Hawaii:

Harbors Passenger & Cruise Schedules

https://hawaii.portcall.com/#!?tab=2

ETA: Seabourn Sojourn will be here in Hawaii in May 2020.
I really would love to be on the Sojourn.... but it appears to be a stop on a 30 day cruise...too long for us.
Old Feb 2, 19, 10:39 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: statusless these days
For the most part, it'll have to be a round trip unless the ship goes to or starts from Mexico (some place called Ensaneda is popular) but on large MM ships. Otherwise and also for OW, it'll usually have to be from Vancouver to avoid PVSA (Jones Act is for cargo, though pax on the MM lines might as well be cargo). Ponant ran a 9-or-so-nighter Vancouver-Honolulu 1 1/2 years ago but that doesn't seem to have any in the future schedule (ship did an Arctic transit, came down the west coast, and repo'd to either Japan or Australia.)
Old Feb 2, 19, 11:47 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

seem to recall they are pacific > hawaii > US when they happen
Old Feb 2, 19, 1:00 pm
Original Member

Programs: AS, UA, HY, Hil, Merr
We are taking a cruise to Hilo and Honolulu (from San Diego) then on to the South Pacific...Just the leg to HA is 6 days at sea! HAL, leaves early Mar '19
Old Feb 2, 19, 4:13 pm

Originally Posted by YVR Cockroach View Post
PVSA (Jones Act is for cargo, though pax on the MM lines might as well be cargo).
I realized that after I posted and didn't feel like going back to fix. Thank you! (most cruisers on cruisecritic say "Jones Act" regardless...)

Originally Posted by ranles View Post
We are taking a cruise to Hilo and Honolulu (from San Diego) then on to the South Pacific...Just the leg to HA is 6 days at sea! HAL, leaves early Mar '19
Does it stop anywhere between San Diego & Hilo that would allow an American to disembark in Hawaii?

Other than the closed loop mentioned, or the US flagged-lines (does NCL still have??) it wouldn't work without Canada or Mexico involved, or onward to the South Pacific for disembarkation. Is there an "easy" foreign port between LA and HI?
Old Feb 2, 19, 4:20 pm

Info on PVSA/Jones Act for those who don't know what the heck it is and why it matters when discussing this itinerary.
wrp96 and 747FC like this.
Old Feb 2, 19, 5:11 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: statusless these days
Originally Posted by Hoyaheel View Post
Other than the closed loop mentioned, or the US flagged-lines (does NCL still have??)
Pride of America. Still there. Expensive. Only cruises around the inhabited Hawiian islands.

it wouldn't work without Canada or Mexico involved, or onward to the South Pacific for disembarkation. Is there an "easy" foreign port between LA and HI?
Doesn't work on a OW cruise: Canada and Mexico don't have distant-enough ports. I think on the OW cruises between Hawaii and "SoCal", you get bussed to/from Ensenada or some such.
Old Feb 2, 19, 5:25 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA
For a one way cruise ending in Hawaii, the OP would have to start in Canada or Mexico. Starting in California wouldn’t be possible.
Old Feb 2, 19, 5:39 pm

Programs: US Air, UA BA LH AI DELTA MARRIOTT CHOICE SGP
Originally Posted by ranles View Post
Couple of Princess cruises too on sale.....One Way cruises have to be repositioning..
I am always looking for those.
Old Feb 2, 19, 7:16 pm

Programs: AA MM; AS Gold; Nexion, LLC/Travel Leaders
Originally Posted by Hoyaheel View Post
Regent has Hawaii on its 2020 world cruise, no clue what the individual segment would be.
Not a lot of options, strangely.

Regent Navigator sails from Los Angeles to Tahiti 05DEC19, 18 nights with three Hawaii port days
Regent Navigator sails from Miami to Honolulu 22DEC20, 24 nights
Hoyaheel likes this.
Old Feb 2, 19, 9:54 pm
Original Poster

To be honest I was less interested in cruising around the Hawaiian islands then I was transiting to them from a US west coast port... Just wanted a few days on cruise ( which we have never been on) We were planning on getting off and doing our own thing once we were there.

Search this Thread
Search Engine: