Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Cruises
Reload this Page >

Cruise from the West Coast of US to Hawaii?

Cruise from the West Coast of US to Hawaii?

Old Feb 5, 2019, 6:09 pm

Programs: US Air, UA BA LH AI DELTA MARRIOTT CHOICE SGP
Originally Posted by YVR Cockroach
Yes, but it's possible but also very unlikely that a local TA will be competitive (commission rebate and access to blow-out inventory). I'll admit the only B'nM TA I've dealt with is Expedia CCS and only because the cruises, repos, booked so cheap it was all NCCF taxes and fees. Just about the whole fare was "non-commissionable cruise fare" which means there's very little profit earned) and thus no rebates, OBC or anything to earn. I've shopped Costco travel for the same cruises and there was nothing to give away.

As an FYI, if you can get a TA to show you how much a cruise is invoiced at showing full fare and NCCF, see if NCCF is small relative to the whole amount. You expect a rebate.if so.

FWIW, Expedia CCS appears to be a franchise so the owners/franchisees have to make enough money to pay Expedia. In addition, the agents are independent contractors who essentially have to pay to train and make their money (and travel privileges) by not only booking enough cruises but selling ancilliary items such as flights, hotel, insurance, excursions, etc.

Be aware of the apparent deep discounts that are advertised for some cruises (usually the luxury/premium U.S market-oriented cruisecos). Whenever I look, these cruises always seem to be going at at least 60-75% off if not more. Mind you, I have heard that some people do want to get onto fully-booked cruises so bad that they'll pay full sticker (or very close to it). An old FTer I know once got a bump offer that included a full cash refund on his cruise (bought at a discount which was still not cheap by any means), a not-insignifcant amount of OBC, flight refund costs, and a choice of cruises, free.

For what the OP is looking for (even if they're open a closed-loop cruise), I'd highly recommend avoiding Princess. I don't think I would even go for a very cheap Princess repo cruise anymore. Those cruises also chug all the way south to Kiribati (or thereabouts) and back to comply with the PVSA.
1. The cruise starts and ends in Hawaii touching several islands.

2 Different people like different lines. Used to love Celebrity, NO MORE. Among the "mass merchandisers" current fav is RCCL.

Old Feb 5, 2019, 6:47 pm

Programs: AA EXP, DL Silver, Global Entry
Originally Posted by HMPS
1. The cruise starts and ends in Hawaii touching several islands.
Which is not what the OP was looking for. His initial request was for information on a one-way west coast cruise to Hawaii on a smaller luxury cruise line. He express no initial interest in cruising around Hawaii.
Old Feb 5, 2019, 8:01 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: FB Silver going for Gold
Originally Posted by Randyk47
Which is not what the OP was looking for. His initial request was for information on a one-way west coast cruise to Hawaii on a smaller luxury cruise line. He express no initial interest in cruising around Hawaii.
Or a mass-market line. Princess is as mass market as they come, with (in)appropriate ship size and attendant waiting. I think we can all safely assume the OP wants a luxury experience without waiting to get onboard, having to wait for meals, crowds, waiting to get off, etc. I rather not cruise then put up with all that. I'd do a MM cruise only if it is a smaller <<2,000 pax) ship which is underbooked (HAL repo cruises seem to be good candidates).

Last edited by YVR Cockroach; Feb 5, 2019 at 8:18 pm
Old Feb 5, 2019, 8:38 pm
Original Poster
Marriott Contributor Badge

As often happens in threads the original post gets diluted by various opinions and suggestions, some off base. As Randyk47 said, we have zero interest in cruising around the islands. We were looking for a small cruise line that left a west coast port and docked on one of the Hawaiian islands where my husband and I could get off and continue to do our own thing for a vacation. I soon realized from the early posts that this would not be possible.

We are now focusing on a week at the Punta Mita St. Regis to celebrate this milestone birthday.
Old Feb 5, 2019, 8:46 pm

Programs: IATA, Sabre, AvgeekAgent
Originally Posted by david55
We are now focusing on a week at the Punta Mita St. Regis to celebrate this milestone birthday.
Great choice! It's beautiful.
Old Feb 6, 2019, 6:49 am
Original Poster
Marriott Contributor Badge

Originally Posted by NYC Flyer
cool...thanks.
Old Feb 6, 2019, 6:51 am

Originally Posted by NYC Flyer
Not a big fan of Marriott but St Regis Punta Mita looks beautiful.
Old Feb 6, 2019, 7:44 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

with st regis being starwood's top brand, and marriott acquiring starwood pretty recently
(if paid 2/3BR beachfront, can pay similar rate for similar villa at Four Seasons punta mita)

does silversea still do personalized voyages? only required 5 nights and 2 countries

Last edited by Kagehitokiri; Feb 6, 2019 at 8:48 am
Old Feb 6, 2019, 7:58 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA
Expedia CSC has a lot of overhead as it almost seems like a MLM of sorts. Owners of the local agencies have overhead to pay in the way of rent + all the accoutrements required for a physical walk-in location, as well as pay fees to Expedia. The TAs who are ICs have to drum up business (not much walk in apparently). Expedia of course provides the listing and pricing information for cruises and all the accoutrements cruise pax can be sold.
It's interesting that you bring up Expedia Cruiseshipcenters. A good friend of mine in Vancouver has worked for them since before they were purchased by Expedia and is actually my usual travel agent. It's not an MLM. It's just like any other business that Expedia has purchased and brought into their fold.

And yes they do offer group cruises, etc. Most likely you just aren't looking at cruises where group space is offered. My agent monitors to see if groups open up for cruises I've already booked and asks if I want to move into them for the perks. She also monitors for price drops for me. She helps me find independent tour guides, recommends hotels, transportation, etc if I want it. Sometimes I do book my flights through her if she can find a deal, but not always. But not every travel agent does that so it's best to shop around, ask questions, etc.
NYC Flyer and gretchendz like this.
Old Feb 6, 2019, 8:42 am

Originally Posted by Kagehitokiri
does silversea still do personalized voyages? only required 5 nights and 2 countries
They were a year ago but can’t say for sure now as they have been bought so policies and procedures may have or are being changed. A little over a year ago we were on an 18-day Rome to Dubai cruise. The attraction of that cruise was a couple of stops in Egypt and Jordan that permitted visiting the Giza Plateau, Valley of the Kings, and Petra. Most of those stops took place in the first half of the cruise with no much afterwards. A number of passengers negotiated leaving at the midway point rather than stay on for three or four uninteresting stops and five or six sea days.
Old Feb 6, 2019, 3:05 pm

Programs: US Air, UA BA LH AI DELTA MARRIOTT CHOICE SGP
Originally Posted by Randyk47

I knew that...this was an attempt to give them information that may help them.
Old Feb 6, 2019, 4:40 pm

Or a mass-market line. Princess is as mass market as they come, with (in)appropriate ship size and attendant waiting. I think we can all safely assume the OP wants a luxury experience without waiting to get onboard, having to wait for meals, crowds, waiting to get off, etc. I rather not cruise then put up with all that. I'd do a MM cruise only if it is a smaller <<2,000 pax) ship which is underbooked (HAL repo cruises seem to be good candidates).
Couldn’t have expressed our feelings better.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.