Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Cruises
Reload this Page >

Cruise from the West Coast of US to Hawaii?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Cruise from the West Coast of US to Hawaii?

Search this Thread

Old Feb 2, 2019, 10:21 pm

You could consider decoupling the cruise from your Hawaii trip. I'd advise 7 nights as a tester as shorter cruises can be pretty rushed with a different feel to them.
Advanced Search terms for Vacations To Go
  • Set Start & End Date to ~ 1 year or you'll get too many results
  • Maximum Nights: 7
  • Minimum Ship Rating: 5.5 and up
  • Maximum # of Passengers: 1000
There's plenty of Alaska cruises if you'd like to drive to the port instead of flying as some cruisers prefer to drive to the departure port. You can also find Hapag Lloyd on cruiseplum.com as it isn't on Vacations To Go. Double check for bilingual German English sailings/ships.
Old Feb 2, 2019, 11:40 pm

Programs: Au: UA, Marriott, Hilton; GE
Originally Posted by david55
To be honest I was less interested in cruising around the Hawaiian islands then I was transiting to them from a US west coast port... Just wanted a few days on cruise ( which we have never been on) We were planning on getting off and doing our own thing once we were there.
If you are wanting to test out whether you like cruising, you might want to do a 7-day Alaska cruise.Also, at the end of the season, some of the lines sail south from Vancouver or Seattle to LA or San Diego.
Old Feb 3, 2019, 12:36 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: FB Silver going for Gold
If it doesn't have to be Hawaii and you don't need a large cabin, here's a couple of look at

For this year
https://en.ponant.com/cruises/north-...rnia-s030919-2
VTG is selling this one for USD 3,170 inc taxes & fees and 1st time cruisers (presumably your wife and you) can get an introductory discount of $1,200 (USD 600 each). Discount wasn't available to us (this deal or the one below) because we bought our cruises (on this ship but not the itinerary above, or below) at ~53% off during some secret-ish sale last year.

For 2020
https://en.ponant.com/cruises/latin-...xico-a290919-2

Note that you can go on these cruises for free (just pay taxes and port fees) if you sail on the preceding or following cruise.

I just don't think you're going to be able to get a short, direct sailing between west coast U.S. and Hawaii unless NCL sells a repo on the Pride of America (unlikely) or one of the small coastal ship lines sail to Hawaii (also unlikely) or the PVSA gets repealed (probably very unlikely).
Old Feb 3, 2019, 7:09 am
Original Poster
Marriott Contributor Badge

I'll take a serious look at the Ponant. The Latin vibe appeals to us and we both have an interest in archaeology which their port stops emphasize. While I have always thought of taking a first " trial" cruise to Alaska ( Seabourn has a really nice one) my husband ( note: not wife) has always said he won't go north of Bellingham..... south bound and warmth for him.
Old Feb 3, 2019, 7:42 am

Programs: AA EXP, DL Silver, Global Entry
Originally Posted by NYC Flyer
Not a lot of options, strangely.

Regent Navigator sails from Los Angeles to Tahiti 05DEC19, 18 nights with three Hawaii port days
Regent Navigator sails from Miami to Honolulu 22DEC20, 24 nights
Personally I really like the LA to Tahiti itinerary but that’s because a cruise to or in the South Pacific is on my bucket list. That said looking at the Regent site they don’t offer any segment options for either cruise. I suppose one could always call and see if they would accommodate a non-published segment but I’m betting a LA to Honolulu segment would violate PVSA and wouldn’t be able to be booked.
Old Feb 3, 2019, 8:02 am

Programs: Delta Gold, silver, what yr is it?
I'll take a serious look at the Ponant. The Latin vibe appeals to us and we both have an interest in archaeology which their port stops emphasize. While I have always thought of taking a first " trial" cruise to Alaska ( Seabourn has a really nice one) my husband ( note: not wife) has always said he won't go north of Bellingham..... south bound and warmth for him.
Too bad! We're cold weather cruisers (well, not Caribbean cruisers, at least) We did Seabourn 11 days Alaska in September and had the BEST time.

You could also do a quick CA/Mexico cruise - I see short trips online all the time. Wouldn't necessarily be my preference as I don't love Mexico (I don't love beaches and most of the ports are very focused on beach/water activities) but you might be able to find something interesting.Trips shorter than a week do tend to have more of a reputation as party cruises, but that might depend on the line. I don't know if luxury lines have itineraries that short, but I'd guess their demographic wouldn't have quite the same party reputation as Carnival or Royal Caribbean....
Old Feb 3, 2019, 8:56 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I'll take a serious look at the Ponant. The Latin vibe appeals to us .
I'll let you know in March-April what sort of Latin vibe Le Soléal has. We'll be on that ship for 27 nts at a per diem of well under than $200 (can't stomach paying for some/most of the other itineraries where it's well over $1,000). I don't think the French are the warm-blooded latins you're looking for though. I'd say they're the Germans of the Latin world. on't get me wrong, I love France, the food and the culture but don't think the people - even the Provencals and Occitans - exude much if any Latiness. Maybe the only other Latin/romance language people that exudes even less vibe are the Romanians.
Randyk47 likes this.

Last edited by YVR Cockroach; Feb 3, 2019 at 9:07 am
Old Feb 3, 2019, 10:18 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Hoyaheel
Too bad! We're cold weather cruisers (well, not Caribbean cruisers, at least) We did Seabourn 11 days Alaska in September and had the BEST time.

I'll work on him about Alaska..... I love the idea of minimal travel to get to the ship.

We have a place in Mexico so doing a Mexican cruise seems redundant and emphasizes most of what we try to avoid when we are there.
NYC Flyer and Hoyaheel like this.
Old Feb 3, 2019, 10:40 am

Programs: IATA, Sabre, AvgeekAgent
I'll work on him about Alaska..... I love the idea of minimal travel to get to the ship.
Lots of choice then on Silversea, Seabourn, Regent, etc. Queen Elizabeth is also doing Alaska. Though clearly not a smaller ship, a "Grills" stateroom might be an interesting option.
Old Feb 3, 2019, 11:05 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Alaska? Try this one:

https://us.ponant.com/cruises/alaska...220819-sv044-4

Includes flight from SEA and transfer to Seward

Unfortunately you can't continue on to SD on this one as that will contravene the PVSA but you could go all the way to Mexico (3 cruises alltogether).
Old Feb 3, 2019, 11:13 am
Original Poster

This is the cruise I have been eyeing..... either a a veranda suite or a penthouse suite, although I am not sure the extra 4K a person is worth the upgrade.

https://www.seabourn.com/en_US/find-...S07A/5029.html
Old Feb 3, 2019, 11:20 am

Programs: Delta Gold, silver, what yr is it?
We were on Sojourn in a veranda suite and found it suited us fine. Amazing storage! We didn't feel the need to spend a lot more for the Penthouse. I'm a really big introvert but actually spent a lot of time in public spaces on Sojourn - much to my surprise!! I think because we're used to small ships (R class) that are about the same size as Sojourn but with 700 passengers instead of 450. But you might be able to find a TA that could get you a nice deal. If you do book Seabourn, make sure you get a referral from a past passenger for onboard credit for both of you.....
Old Feb 3, 2019, 11:58 am

Originally Posted by Hoyaheel
But you might be able to find a TA that could get you a nice deal. If you do book Seabourn, make sure you get a referral from a past passenger for onboard credit for both of you.....
Looks a bit early for exclusive TA promotions for the June 19 voyage, but I imagine they will materialize.
Old Feb 3, 2019, 12:34 pm

Programs: Hilton LTD, Hyatt Glob, Marriott LTTE, AA LTP, Avis PC, National EE, Seabourn DE
This is the cruise I have been eyeing..... either a a veranda suite or a penthouse suite, although I am not sure the extra 4K a person is worth the upgrade.

https://www.seabourn.com/en_US/find-...S07A/5029.html
For referral coupon good for $400 OBC, contact me. You'll survive nicely enough in a Veranda. Would risk a guaranty type booking if concerned about price. Also, suggest not booking through your local TA.
Old Feb 3, 2019, 12:56 pm

Originally Posted by hedoman
Also, suggest not booking through your local TA.
You can book directly through Seabourn, then authorize Seabourn to have your TA to take over the booking and apply any agency and consortia promotions/group rates to your voyage. TA might even show some appreciation with some personalized extras for you doing all the work!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.