Reload this Page >

Some cruise lines charging for room service, others considering it

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Some cruise lines charging for room service, others considering it

Search this Thread

Old Jan 28, 2019, 12:51 pm

Don't forget wearing a hat in the dining room. That ruins the lobster tail somehow, oh wait mass market lines no longer have lobster tail on less than 7-day cruises.
Old Jan 28, 2019, 4:20 pm

Programs: AA EXP, DL Silver, Global Entry
Originally Posted by Badenoch
There is a core cabal at Cruise Critic that is bitterly opposed to anything that falls outside of the "traditional" cruise model. They are horrified at new concepts like anytime dining, relaxed standards for formal night, lower-price options with reduced service, etc. and no doubt bemoan the loss of the Baked Alaska Parade.
There certainly those who complain about any change. Some I understand some not so much. The ones that get me are the loyalists that are so locked into their cruise line that the line can do no wrong. There is a balance between objecting to some changes, complaining about everything, and having blinders on.
Hoyaheel and HMPS like this.

Last edited by Randyk47; Jan 28, 2019 at 6:01 pm
Old Jan 28, 2019, 7:07 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: FB Silver going for Gold
Originally Posted by Randyk47
There certainly those who complain about any change. Some I understand some not so much. The ones that get me are the loyalists that are so locked into their cruise line that the line can do no wrong. There is a balance between objecting to some changes, complaining about everything, and having blinders on.
The same can be said here about some and their airlines/FFPs, some much more than others.
bicker, Hoyaheel, HMPS and 1 others like this.
Old Jan 29, 2019, 6:51 am

Programs: BAE Gold, Qatar Premium, CX Gold, Emirates, Hilton Honors, Golden Circle
Originally Posted by JDiver
Current cruise lines charging for room / cabin service.

Royal Caribbean charges $7.95 for room service other than Continental breakfast orders (as of March 2017).

Norwegian Cruise Line charges $7.95 for room service other than Continental breakfast orders (as of 2015).

Carnival Cruises actively considering room service charges link to USA Today article

Carnival Cruises announced on December 31 that they’d begin charging for room service orders ordered prior to 10 p.m., “to reduce food waste”. A per food item charge of $2.00-$5.00 charge was proposed.

The cruise line received a ton of feedback (40,000 posts and comments on Cruise Critic alone) and announced this week they’d be "making some adjustments to that plan to balance the interests of our guests with our efforts to reduce food waste costs. For the time being, there will be no changes until we finalize a plan that will be communicated to guests and travel agency partners alike."

Note that Carnival Corporation & PLC owns

. . . AIDA Cruises
. . . Carnival Cruise Line
. . . Costa Cruises
. . . Cunard Line
. . . Fathom
. . . Holland America Line
. . . P&O Cruises
. . . P&O Cruises Australia
. . . Princess Cruises
. . . Seabourn Cruise Line

If one initiates room service charges, you can bet these will become as ubiquitous as airline baggage fees and the like, and imagine other items currently considered included in cruise charges will become monetized. The unbundling of cruise fees will not be welcome, but they offer lots of revenue to cruise ship companies now left with over capacity due to their ship building binge.
We cruise with Seabourn which is owned by Carnival, there are no charges on board and I mean no charges everything from wines to liquors are included, the Thomas Keller restaurant the amazing sushi restaurant and bar EVERYTHING. Tipping is not only not allowed it is actively discouraged so a completely stress free experience which is how a good cruise should be.
Randyk47 likes this.
Old Jan 29, 2019, 6:56 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Finally back in Boston after escaping from New York
Originally Posted by Randyk47
I find it all a bit funny that the new cruise demographic supposedly wants less formality which has generally meant a lessening of dress codes and the disappearance of formal nights with gowns and tuxedos but increased class-like distinctions that harkens back to yesteryear.

I think a lot of it is about comfort, or at least, perceived comfort. I want the perks I've gotten used to over time, but I really don't feel like dressing up to go to dinner every night. I've been cruising for just over 30 years, so it's been interesting to watch the evolution over time. I remember going on Sitmar as a kid, when I wore a jacket to semi-formal night and the only "alternative" restaurant was the small pizza parlor. Personally, I'd rather go to dinner in shorts and a t-shirt every night, but I made that choice when I decided to go on a cruise.

Cruise lines present the extras as "offering choices." It is still easy enough to have an enjoyable cruise and not pay a penny out of pocket. The truth of the matter is, though, that these "choices" often replace things that were free. Extra deck space, the libraries (I love the libraries, btw), etc. Some of it's evolution, some of it's the "because we can" factor. But it's also important to remember that there are far fewer cruise brands today than there were over the past decades. CCL and RCL control 75% of berth capacity. Throw in NCL and you're well over 80%. Each of these is a publicly traded company, and they're going to keep adding fees and cutting perks until it's no longer profitable.

Several years ago, we decided that Princess no longer fit our needs, so we started expanding. Ultimately, we came back to Princess when they fixed some of the issues, but we're not wed to them, either.

Mike
YVR Cockroach likes this.
Old Jan 29, 2019, 7:56 am
Suspended

Programs: Aeroplan, IHG, Enterprise, Avios, Nexus
Originally Posted by mikeef
I think a lot of it is about comfort, or at least, perceived comfort. I want the perks I've gotten used to over time, but I really don't feel like dressing up to go to dinner every night. I've been cruising for just over 30 years, so it's been interesting to watch the evolution over time. I remember going on Sitmar as a kid, when I wore a jacket to semi-formal night and the only "alternative" restaurant was the small pizza parlor. Personally, I'd rather go to dinner in shorts and a t-shirt every night, but I made that choice when I decided to go on a cruise.
With the possible exception of Cunard the mass-market lines have concluded it is better to stop expecting passengers to accommodate what was once the "traditional cruise model." The ancients may despair at the mere thought of shorts and t-shirt in the dining room or an absence of formal wear on fancy pants night but it is a small price to pay to attract new people who when told they need to wear a suit and tie will respond with "screw that noise" and select another travel option.

The airlines have aided this shift with checked baggage charges. I did two cruises last year both carry-on only. The suit and tied stayed at home.
Old Jan 29, 2019, 8:36 am

Programs: Hilton LTD, Hyatt Glob, Marriott LTTE, AA LTP, Avis PC, National EE, Seabourn DE
Originally Posted by midorosan
We cruise with Seabourn which is owned by Carnival, there are no charges on board and I mean no charges everything from wines to liquors are included, the Thomas Keller restaurant the amazing sushi restaurant and bar EVERYTHING. Tipping is not only not allowed it is actively discouraged so a completely stress free experience which is how a good cruise should be.
As stated in previous post, you can still cruise and not pay an extra cent. You can even do that on Seabourn if you enjoy drinking cheap wine. Still looking for a sushi restaurant on Seabourn.....oh, you are referring to the 650 capacity ships. Sad to say, many passengers have brought their filthy tipping habits from other cruise lines to Seabourn.
Old Jan 29, 2019, 8:49 am

Programs: AA EXP, DL Silver, Global Entry
Talking

Originally Posted by hedoman
As stated in previous post, you can still cruise and not pay an extra cent. You can even do that on Seabourn if you enjoy drinking cheap wine. Still looking for a sushi restaurant on Seabourn.....oh, you are referring to the 650 capacity ships. Sad to say, many passengers have brought their filthy tipping habits from other cruise lines to Seabourn.
“Filthy” is an interesting adjective to use in connection with tipping but I catch your meaning. We see that on Silversea also though I guess I would call it “regrettable” rather than “filthy”. 😀
Old Jan 29, 2019, 9:22 am

I would prefer paying for meals on cruises, rather than having them included.

Under the current system, there is a tendency to overeat. Charges for individual meals would act as brake on that.
Old Jan 29, 2019, 10:15 am

Programs: Au: UA, Marriott, Hilton; GE
Originally Posted by midorosan
We are frequent Seabourn cruisers, and while Seabourn is mostly inclusive, it is not all-inclusive. Premium wines cost more. Spa services are not free. Excursions are not included. There are charges for all-access internet.

Finally, while tipping is not exoected, it is certainly allowed and much-appreciated.

We do enjoy not having to show our room key to access most services!
Old Jan 29, 2019, 11:11 am
formerly BackSlash3

Programs: AC P25, Marriott Gold, IHG Diamond AMB
I was just on the Celebrity Edge over the Christmas break and was surprised how all-inclusive it ended up being. Our booking included a middle of the road drink package, gratuities, & $300 in on-board credit. This is a pretty common package for booking early. The OBC covered Internet and the 1 specialty restaurant we wanted to go to, and my bill at the end of the trip was just excursions.

My account ended up being $150, but It's the first cruise I can remember where the on-board bill wasn't over $1000 despite me not paying attention to costs.

It's just 1 data point, but I found it notable that I spent less on account on this trip than on cruises 10 or 20 years ago.

Also, speaking to OP, this ship did have the $7.95 room service charge.
Old Jan 29, 2019, 11:41 am

Programs: Hilton LTD, Hyatt Glob, Marriott LTTE, AA LTP, Avis PC, National EE, Seabourn DE
Originally Posted by 747FC
Finally, while tipping is not exoected, it is certainly allowed and much-appreciated.
The staff, all the staff are very well paid. Not so long ago, tipping staff was considered an insult and often turned down. But, what can you expect when they have to fill berths? They've gone from 600 total capacity to 2600+ in very few years. People come on board and think they are sailing on an ultra luxury line. They're not. Same with Silversea, but at least SB has adjusted prices accordingly to maintain some kind of value proposition.
Old Jan 29, 2019, 12:05 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: FB Silver going for Gold
Originally Posted by RoutingWonk
I was just on the Celebrity Edge over the Christmas break and was surprised how all-inclusive it ended up being. Our booking included a middle of the road drink package, gratuities, & $300 in on-board credit. This is a pretty common package for booking early. The OBC covered Internet and the 1 specialty restaurant we wanted to go to, and my bill at the end of the trip was just excursions.

My account ended up being $150, but It's the first cruise I can remember where the on-board bill wasn't over $1000 despite me not paying attention to costs.
I do want to ask how much the cruise costed you, in what cabin category, and for how long. The hypothesis is that the cruisecos that throw in these packages aren't giving it away for free, and Celebrity's mgmt in particular hates to do this. Reportedly, Edge rates were somewhat competitive when bookings were first offered but rose (very) steeply as the hype built up.

I remember looking at a Celebrity cruise a few years ago. The fare offerings, for the same cabin category and sub-type, were either a fairly expensive one that had most of these items included, or a no-package resident fare that was substantially less.

On a note, someone on CC booked a Celebrity TATL where the web site showed the 4 "perks" offered (Celebrity is loathe to offer any sort of deals on repo cruises), taking screen shots all the way through the booking process. Paid and took it up with them when the perks didn't show up in the confirmation. The poster claimed that Celebrity acknowledge the mistake and honored the reservation though the perks were converted into the equivalent in OBC (perhaps a better deal)..

My first and only Celebrity cruise was a TPAC repo. End of cruise bill was just the service charge less $75 OBC was our end bill and we had no perks, not even elite ones. Even better, our per diem was in the range of $40.
Old Jan 29, 2019, 2:55 pm

Programs: Au: UA, Marriott, Hilton; GE
Originally Posted by hedoman
The staff, all the staff are very well paid. Not so long ago, tipping staff was considered an insult and often turned down. But, what can you expect when they have to fill berths? They've gone from 600 total capacity to 2600+ in very few years. People come on board and think they are sailing on an ultra luxury line. They're not. Same with Silversea, but at least SB has adjusted prices accordingly to maintain some kind of value proposition.
Surely you don’t mean the ship’s capacis 2600? Their largest ship holds 600.
Old Jan 29, 2019, 3:24 pm

Programs: US Air, UA BA LH AI DELTA MARRIOTT CHOICE SGP
Originally Posted by mendezka
100% agree. I tend to only order room service early mornings on port days & late at night anyway. It's worth paying $2-5 when you have an early port & want to get out quickly!
+1

Out of 30 odd cruises I do not remember oredering room service but about 8 times, mainly while we were in a large suite. So yes charging for it is takeaways, how many people order room service. Cool coffee, cold eggs, etc have no apppeal for me !

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.