FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Cruises (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/cruises-179/)
-   -   Some cruise lines charging for room service, others considering it (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/cruises/1950370-some-cruise-lines-charging-room-service-others-considering.html)

Randyk47 Jan 18, 2019 6:22 am

Originally Posted by Super Mario (Post 30641305)
The average consumer is so fickle and uneducated about what really goes on. We hear all of the time of things that went away from cruising and how much better it was 30 years ago. When it reality, there are so many apples to oranges comparisons. Mass market brands of today were closer to luxury cruises back in the day. That model would not have made cruising as large as it is today. People want a lower barrier to entry. Adjusted for inflation, the mass market is more affordable that cruising used to be, by far. It is basically a different product. The luxury cruises still exist, but we'd rather complain instead of paying more for them.

Actually we made the change about six years ago. By happenchance we came across a Med cruise on Silversea that was very close in cost to a similar cruise on Holland America. When we factored in our typical on-board charges for wine, liquor, and specialty coffees, and yes we do consume, there was virtually no difference. As it turned out Silversea was having a pretty deep sale for an early Med season 14-day cruise while Holland America had a 12-day full fare cruise. We figured what the heck and talked our cruising partners into giving Silversea a try. Seven cruises later and we don’t even look at Holland America as a potential venue. Sure we pay more and maybe don’t cruise as often but as Super Mario points out the luxury experience of today is much and more like Holland America of 25 years ago.

freecia Jan 18, 2019 3:28 pm

I wonder if they'd consider waiving the room service charge as a perk for high status loyalty members and suite guests. Seems like they would be able to satisfy those who have been cruising long enough to remember "the good old days" and newer cruisers who might not expect an all inclusive vacation on a mass market cruise line.

Also, to be fair as a cruiser who tends to go through at least a book a day, I see a lot more cruisers attending "Facebook tips and tricks" style classes than using the library. A lot of people bring kindles or tablets with adjustable font sizes. It'd be nice to be borrow a physical book but it also makes sense to deploy a digital library similar to airlines and let people use their own devices via the ship's local wifi.

Randyk47 Jan 19, 2019 8:00 am

Originally Posted by freecia (Post 30672470)
I wonder if they'd consider waiving the room service charge as a perk for high status loyalty members and suite guests. Seems like they would be able to satisfy those who have been cruising long enough to remember "the good old days" and newer cruisers who might not expect an all inclusive vacation on a mass market cruise line.

Also, to be fair as a cruiser who tends to go through at least a book a day, I see a lot more cruisers attending "Facebook tips and tricks" style classes than using the library. A lot of people bring kindles or tablets with adjustable font sizes. It'd be nice to be borrow a physical book but it also makes sense to deploy a digital library similar to airlines and let people use their own devices via the ship's local wifi.

As I said before in and of itself the library demise in the larger scheme of things is probably not a big deal for most. However cruise lines have been cutting or reducing a lot of fringe services they once provided. Just off the top of my head many have discontinued or reduced things like gentlemen hosts, bridge directors and instructors, AA meetings, clergy, computer classes, crafts classes, and sewing and knitting groups and classes to name a few. Again no one particular reduction or discontinuance is significant by itself but it adds up. Now add that some lines are now prohibiting, limiting, or charging corkage fees for bringing your own wine on board whereas before as long as consumed in cabin there was no problem. And a few are now prohibiting or limiting bringing on board even things like water and soda. Pretty understandable that some, who I call legacy cruisers with 20+ years of cruising, are starting to see and feel a degradation of the experience and are left with a nagging “what next?”. Have to say I don’t particularly blame or fault the cruise lines as they have to evolve their products as the demographics change and cruise lines move away from “newlywed, overfed, and nearly dead” perception.

YVR Cockroach Jan 19, 2019 9:26 am

I don't think the cruisecos are looking to eliminate every passenger comfort, but just looking at any potential to increase revenue (in mgmt's relentless quest to grow earnngs), so any "dead" space is now converted. I think there are still sobriety/abstinence and religious services but those are unhosted and self-led and certainly the personnel that did some of the above (dance host, etc. - even if unpaid) and gone.. They'll probably provide a venue until the available venues have been turned into revenue-generating functions. Certainly there are no card rooms left which is why you have people occupying any sit-down space with tables available.

As for suite privileges,this will make life more difficult for those not in suites. The new Celebrity Edge reportedly has no forward-looking spaces - inside or out - for non-suite pax. Great swarths of open deck (and there's only so much of this no matter how big the ship) are increasingly reserved for suite pax (the Celebrity Millennium is schedule to have all deck space forward of the pool to be converted into such). It's only a matter of time before non-suite pax are crammed into small spaces of deck in a partial reversion to steerage.

In ranles's post above re: suite privileges, Holland America was recently trialing selling suites privileges to non-suite passengers. Prioirity disembarkation and suite dining privileges for one.

Maybe the younger clientele who are new to cruises will tolerate this, as you speculate, or maybe not.

worldspan Jan 20, 2019 4:20 am

It certainly appears cruise ships are reverting to what trans-atlantic crossings once were. Cunard Line and French Line, 2 classes first and tourist. Italian Line, 3 classes, first, cabin, and tourist. Celebrity for e.g. is now just like Italian Line once was with (1) Luminae for suite passengers, Blu for Aqua class, and main dining room for everyone else.

Cruising has morphed into something I no longer recognize. After 137 of them taken since 1971, I've had enough. Just rather stay home and sit in my house!

Randyk47 Jan 20, 2019 8:08 am

Originally Posted by worldspan (Post 30677455)
It certainly appears cruise ships are reverting to what trans-atlantic crossings once were. Cunard Line and French Line, 2 classes first and tourist. Italian Line, 3 classes, first, cabin, and tourist. Celebrity for e.g. is now just like Italian Line once was with (1) Luminae for suite passengers, Blu for Aqua class, and main dining room for everyone else.

Cruising has morphed into something I no longer recognize. After 137 of them taken since 1971, I've had enough. Just rather stay home and sit in my house!

It is true that mass market lines are moving more toward what passes for class distinctions based on cabin categories. They generally avoid calling them 1st class, 2nd class, etc., and generally associate “class” distinctions along the lines of verandas, ocean view, and inside cabin categories. Of course there are variations where there are two classes that roughly break down between upper category suites and all other categories like Cunard’s model. Holland America is experimenting with a slightly different approach with their Club Orange where a lower category cabin passenger can buy their way up to some of the upper suite amenities for a fee per day. All kind of flies in the face of the old notion that once you were out of your cabin the “playing field” was level for everybody and all were treated the same. I find it all a bit funny that the new cruise demographic supposedly wants less formality which has generally meant a lessening of dress codes and the disappearance of formal nights with gowns and tuxedos but increased class-like distinctions that harkens back to yesteryear.

Badenoch Jan 20, 2019 9:14 am

Cruise companies exist for one reason alone and that is to extract the maximum amount of money from you that they can. If they can't do it on the initial fare they will do it to you in every possible other way.

747FC Jan 20, 2019 9:58 am

Originally Posted by Randyk47 (Post 30677945)
I find it all a bit funny that the new cruise demographic supposedly wants less formality which has generally meant a lessening of dress codes and the disappearance of formal nights with gowns and tuxedos but increased class-like distinctions that harkens back to yesteryear.

I think the public wants a modicum of service and comfort, and that is only achievable by "buying up," either to a suite on a ship or a J/F cabin on a plane. For those who can't afford these classes, they either purchase an "amenity package," such as Club Orange or -- in the UA ecosystem, an Economy Plus subscription. The travel providers need to brand their offerings so the public can ask for them, hence the class distinctions.

Jay71 Jan 22, 2019 1:54 pm

Only skimmed the thread so please correct me.
But as mentioned in the thread, I have to agree with the analysis that the industry is increasing capacity and trying to fill those berths by attracting customers with low base fares but at the trade-off of nickle and diming previously free amenities/perks/services. And if you want the previous experience, you're needing to purchase a higher end category or cruise on a higher end line. However, as they push people towards that choice, they will likely be correspondingly higher expectations by people buck up for the higher end cabins.
And for better or worse, we're in the age of analytics where businesses are analyzing habits and responses on how to best maximize their profits. .

I'm torn about the changes. Personally, I don't mind paying for things I selectively choose. I have paid for breakfast room service to get up and going before an early port day or enjoying it on the balcony at sea. But I do hate to see the demise of the cruise experience where most everything is included. We'll likely eventually migrate to higher cabin classes.

Hoyaheel Jan 23, 2019 7:48 am

I feel like I have to care about this issue. I don't, but I do care about "erosion". Of course, it's super cheap to cruise today if you're willing to cruise that way. I'm not. My issue isn't so much luxury or all-inclusiveness (though it's nice!) but that we like small ships. All the mass market lines have been getting rid of their small ships, and they've been going to more expensive (premium or luxury) lines, so to get the experience we want, we have to spend more money up front. Ah well. I don't have a problem creating a travel spreadsheet (I really like it ;-) to compare my options & prices, but having been a long time member of this message board and even longer at Cruise Critic, I'm aware there are MANY people who don't do that level of research, then they get disappointed, THEN they come to the message boards to complain. Instead of STARTING at the message board to do the research in advance to avoid disappointment....I'm way off target now so I'll stop ;-)

Randyk47 Jan 23, 2019 8:05 am

Originally Posted by Hoyaheel (Post 30690312)
I feel like I have to care about this issue. I don't, but I do care about "erosion". Of course, it's super cheap to cruise today if you're willing to cruise that way. I'm not. My issue isn't so much luxury or all-inclusiveness (though it's nice!) but that we like small ships. All the mass market lines have been getting rid of their small ships, and they've been going to more expensive (premium or luxury) lines, so to get the experience we want, we have to spend more money up front. Ah well. I don't have a problem creating a travel spreadsheet (I really like it ;-) to compare my options & prices, but having been a long time member of this message board and even longer at Cruise Critic, I'm aware there are MANY people who don't do that level of research, then they get disappointed, THEN they come to the message boards to complain. Instead of STARTING at the message board to do the research in advance to avoid disappointment....I'm way off target now so I'll stop ;-)

For us you’re not way off target. I could have easily written your post as it is exactly where we’re at with cruising. As it stands right now we haven’t cruised for a year and have no plan to cruise for at least another year. Lots of factors went and go into that decision but we’ve reached the point where we won’t compromise and cruise just for cruise sake. It has to be an interesting itinerary at a time that works for us. It has to deliver a premium cruise experience in terms of service, food, and accommodations. It has to be a small ship of no more than 600 or 700 max and we prefer even smaller.

Randyk47 Jan 23, 2019 8:15 am

Can’t tell if it’s just typical resistance to change or not but the reviews and comments on Cruise Critic of Holland Anerica’s Club Orange experiment are not good. Realizing some changes take time to settle in and may require some adjustments I’ve got to think Holland America is not getting a warm-fuzzy feeling.

bicker Jan 28, 2019 4:43 am

Originally Posted by worldspan (Post 30677455)
It certainly appears cruise ships are reverting to what trans-atlantic crossings once were.

Not exactly. Rather, they're simply doing what every sector in the hospitality industry is doing: Recognizing consumer behaviors and adapting. We flew on Delta airlines last weekend. In the main cabin, itself, now, there are three separate classes of service, Basic Economy, Economy, and Comfort+. A new Disney hotel will have two different classes of studio unit, one so small that it is capacity limited to two and the other with a capacity limit of five. Effectively, the family-friendly company is surcharging traveling with your family. We can also talk about how ballparks and movie theaters and concert venues are all adapting to consumer behaviors in the same way.

bicker Jan 28, 2019 4:49 am

Originally Posted by Randyk47 (Post 30690397)
Can’t tell if it’s just typical resistance to change or not but the reviews and comments on Cruise Critic of Holland Anerica’s Club Orange experiment are not good.

It's fitting that they call it Cruise Critic. I've been a member there for almost fifteen years and I have never seen a change reflective of adapting the business to consumer behaviors that Cruise Critic members haven't hated - not just disliked - hated. The internet in general often serves as a dumping ground for pent up frustration of consumers not being able to get one over on service providers, so I don't put any significance on reviews and comments in that regard. What matters - and all that matters - is what people pay for. "I hate it but I did it anyway," should be viewed as a ringing endorsement. Even, "I hate it and won't ever do it again," is an endorsement, since that frustration factor makes that comment indistinguishable from, "I hate it and will say I won't do it ever again but I actually will."

Badenoch Jan 28, 2019 5:58 am

Originally Posted by bicker (Post 30709359)
It's fitting that they call it Cruise Critic. I've been a member there for almost fifteen years and I have never seen a change reflective of adapting the business to consumer behaviors that Cruise Critic members haven't hated - not just disliked - hated.

There is a core cabal at Cruise Critic that is bitterly opposed to anything that falls outside of the "traditional" cruise model. They are horrified at new concepts like anytime dining, relaxed standards for formal night, lower-price options with reduced service, etc. and no doubt bemoan the loss of the Baked Alaska Parade. :rolleyes: