Reload this Page >

American Queen Steamboat Company cheats clients

Old Nov 12, 2018, 4:56 pm
Original Member
Original Poster

Programs: AS, UA, HY, Hil, Merr

Don't know if the title should have a ? or a !.

Took a 22 days river cruise on the Mississippi with the American Queen Steamboat Company. They failed to make one of the ports, without explaining why (reason does not matter). Missing a port, while
disappointing, is not uncommon. What is uncommon is for the cruise line to keep the port fees collected and not refunding them! No replacement port was added.

Further this is a cruise that includes tours and entry fees to venues. No repayment was offered for these either!

So I wrote them a letter. They were consistent, they have not responded. I have held up my trip report (mixed), hoping I would have an outcome first, so it would not taint my report.

The port fees alone would be likely $50+ times 150 passengers times the number of times this has happened before time the number of ships time the number of years operating...a tidy sum for some attorney!

What has been your experience? We have always been reimbursed on our bill (not cruise credit, but money) when this has happened with foreign carriers!
Old Nov 14, 2018, 5:06 am

Programs: Mileage Plus
Seabourn is scrupulous about refunding port fees if a port is missed
Old Nov 14, 2018, 5:16 am
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
Send them a note advising that you will initiate a chargeback for the port and venue fees if a refund is not issued within 7 business days. On the 8th day, initiate a chargeback for that amount. Make certain that the chargeback specifies the fees. Not worth your time chasing stuff. Make one ask and then follow-up.

Remember that while most card issuers now permit chargebacks well after 60 days, the law only allows you 60 days. So time is not on your side.
Old Nov 14, 2018, 11:19 am
Original Member
Original Poster

Do not know how much to tell cc company. The $50 is the port fees charged divided by the number of ports.
Old Nov 14, 2018, 12:10 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
Originally Posted by ranles
Do not know how much to tell cc company. The $50 is the port fees charged divided by the number of ports.
You said that it was $50 x 150 passengers. But, the cruise only skipped one port out of how many?

That would make your calculation entirely incorrect.

If there were 5 stops and the port fees are the same, we are talking about $10 per passenger. Not sure that really equates to "cheats" customers.
Old Nov 14, 2018, 3:58 pm
Original Member
Original Poster

Sorry that I was not clear. Price I paid for port fees ($100's) divided by the number of ports was about $50. I paid the same for my wife. So we are out approximately $100, if fees for each port are approximately the same.

They missed a major port and did not return the port fees collected. That's the issue.

My further analysis is the WHY I believe they are not responding, and likely will not. While it is only $100 for us, it is $75,000 for this one cruise. They have a lot cruises and boats, how many and long have they done this. So it could be millions for them? or not. Also they may have to come thru with a like sum or more for the entry fees, and labor cost of tours they did not have to perform.
Old Nov 14, 2018, 4:15 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: HH Diamond, Marriott Gold, IHG Gold, Hyatt something
Originally Posted by ranles
Sorry that I was not clear. Price I paid for port fees ($100's) divided by the number of ports was about $50. I paid the same for my wife. So we are out approximately $100, if fees for each port are approximately the same.

They missed a major port and did not return the port fees collected. That's the issue.

My further analysis is the WHY I believe they are not responding, and likely will not. While it is only $100 for us, it is $75,000 for this one cruise. They have a lot cruises and boats, how many and long have they done this. So it could be millions for them? or not. Also they may have to come thru with a like sum or more for the entry fees, and labor cost of tours they did not have to perform.
Do you know the charges that are actually charged for each port? I know for international ports, the fees vary greatly.

Do your cruise T&Cs mention port fees, and refunds for missing ports and activities? I know cruises Ive taken have pretty explicit mentions of such.
Old Nov 14, 2018, 9:49 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: SF CA USA. I love large faceless corporations. And they cherish me in return (sometimes). ;)
Programs: UA Premier Gold/disappointed 1MM, HH Gold, IHG Plat, MB Gold, BW Diam Sel
Have you researched this, for example, on CruiseCritic, at all?
Old Nov 16, 2018, 7:48 am

Programs: AA EXP, DL Silver, Global Entry
Looking at the website for American Queen I see the port fees for a cruise of this length run around $550 +/- per person. I didn’t count the stops but I guess I can see the OP’s claim that the line owes them at least some refund of fees for the missed stop. Never taken a river cruise but we do have a few hundred cruise days on salt water cruises and luckily have only missed a few ports. In every case the cruise line has credited back the port fees to our onboard ship account so that’s kind of my expectation for the OP’s situation. I don’t agree that the OP is owed anything for missed tours unless he paid separately for a tour. American Queen apparently includes a number of no-additional-charge tours at most stops so the OP other than being disappointed about missing a port and a tour is not directly out any money. I suppose the line could throw out a small goodwill refund as a apology for the missed port opportunity but I don’t see that as required.
Old Nov 20, 2018, 7:26 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

agree with last post, could go up to class action lawsuit re history of charging port fees and not delivering (typical for class actions) so less to get back $50 or whatever, but to get them to stop and have to take a hit for past behavior

when things (tours) are bundled rather than a la carte and supplements, usually terms say they can 'change' as well, more 'service' issue
Old Nov 21, 2018, 7:14 am

Originally Posted by Kagehitokiri
agree with last post, could go up to class action lawsuit re history of charging port fees and not delivering (typical for class actions) so less to get back $50 or whatever, but to get them to stop and have to take a hit for past behavior

when things (tours) are bundled rather than a la carte and supplements, usually terms say they can 'change' as well, more 'service' issue
The rub here is that on the OPs cruise there were less than 200 passengers so basically less than 100 couples give or take. Would enough of the 100 families feel enraged enough to even have a number join a class action suit even if you could find an attorney willing to pursue a small case. Naturally youd be looking to more than this one instance and youd have to look to the lines past behavior and if this was standard practice or a one-off situation. Looking at CruiseCritic, which is not the end all of sources but one of the few, I dont see any complaints about this. Id imagine missing ports is relatively rare especially on a river cruise so there may not be many cases to go on.
Old Nov 21, 2018, 7:58 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

class action are usually everyone who has ever done it, thats what i was referring to

OP said something about them frequently skipping ports, thats all i was going by
Old Nov 23, 2018, 8:26 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: SF CA USA. I love large faceless corporations. And they cherish me in return (sometimes). ;)
Programs: UA Premier Gold/disappointed 1MM, HH Gold, IHG Plat, MB Gold, BW Diam Sel
Originally Posted by Randyk47
.Looking at CruiseCritic, which is not the end all of sources but one of the few, I dont see any complaints about this. Id imagine missing ports is relatively rare especially on a river cruise so there may not be many cases to go on.
I searched CruiseCritic and there are thousands of complaints about missed ports and about port fees not being refunded, across multiple cruise lines. There may or may not be any such complaints about this one specific cruise line (or cruise) on CC, but missing ports is not rare; neither are things like bad weather and mechanical problems, which can lead to missed ports.
Old Nov 26, 2018, 6:51 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

hmm, seems there is something preventing liabiltiy

however, AQSC presumably not giant corporation, may be liable
Old Nov 26, 2018, 6:54 pm

Originally Posted by Kagehitokiri
hmm, seems there is something preventing liabiltiy

however, AQSC presumably not giant corporation, may be liable
Not sure I get your point. ??????

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.