Search

Ponant must be getting desperate?

Search this Thread

Old Oct 24, 2018, 11:55 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: FB Silver going for Gold
Originally Posted by Nicoolio
I don't think it was a VC -- same owner as Kering - Pinault family - one of the richest in France -- owns Gucci, Bottega, Puma I think - and then industrial companies as well.
This confirms it.
PPR or whoever is indeed assembling a portfolio of luxury brands.

I know it was sold by CMA-CGM and one of the children of CMA-CGM founder Jacques Saadé apparently till has a senior position at Ponant.
Old Oct 24, 2018, 12:01 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: FB Silver going for Gold
Originally Posted by Randyk47
I’ll give Ponant credit for some of the sexiest looking ships afloat and indeed they advertise themselves as luxury yachts. Unfortunately, and while I give them a grain of salt, most reviews are still mixed leaning slightly to the negative.
I've seen/read that too. Not sure what to make of it or validity. I'd like to see reviews from French (or German) customers as I wonder if lack of English (primacy) onboard is a factor in some of these reviews. The alleged poor or substandard food (seems mainly from Australian) may be a worry though some may find French food rather uninspired when compared to new culinary ad flavorful trends that have taken hold down there (forgetting what the food was like in the past century).

Standard cabins admittedly seem rather small compared to say, RSSC or even Seabourn's old ships.. I'd almost want to compare them to Holland America cabins in size.
Old Oct 28, 2018, 7:25 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by YVR Cockroach
This confirms it.
PPR or whoever is indeed assembling a portfolio of luxury brands.

I know it was sold by CMA-CGM and one of the children of CMA-CGM founder Jacques Saadé apparently till has a senior position at Ponant.
PPR is the former name for Kering - They're used to running brands at a loss for years as they try to develop them - like Alexander McQueen, Bottega Veneta, Stella McCartney - It took them years to make money. I would think they are all-in with Ponant. I think I read Pinault bought it because they've cruised with them and like it personally so definitely not some VC looking to cut costs and flip. I think KKR will definitely want to have a consistent product. This is their answer to LVMH's 5-star hotels.
Old Nov 20, 2018, 4:56 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
IHG Contributor BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge

Programs: Delta - Silver; UA - Silver; HHonors - Diamond; IHG - Spire Ambassador; Marriott Bonvoy - Titanium
Last summer my mother and I took a Ponant cruise, chartered by Tauck entirely for English speakers. I thought the experience okay, but she pretty much disliked it. Buffet food better than server-at-table option. I wouldn't recommend them.
Old Nov 20, 2018, 5:10 pm

Programs: Au: UA, Marriott, Hilton; GE
Originally Posted by Points Scrounger
Last summer my mother and I took a Ponant cruise, chartered by Tauck entirely for English speakers. I thought the experience okay, but she pretty much disliked it. Buffet food better than server-at-table option. I wouldn't recommend them.
Aside from the food experience, what causes you not to recommend them?
Old Nov 29, 2018, 10:37 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
IHG Contributor BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge

Programs: Delta - Silver; UA - Silver; HHonors - Diamond; IHG - Spire Ambassador; Marriott Bonvoy - Titanium
Originally Posted by 747FC
Aside from the food experience, what causes you not to recommend them?
We were booked as separate cabins, given separate cabin numbers by Tauck before boarding the ship. Ponant insisted on trying to assign us both to the same cabin, which was not resolved until the Tauck tour director finally got through to them. I am not ascribing it to a language issue, so much as that they just weren't getting it.

I wasn't thrilled with the separate WC and shower-sink spaces, which made the shower room seem much smaller, and the WC a small, dank closet indeed; my sense of smell isn't the strongest, but I definitely noticed the "odor" other reviewers have mentioned. I didn't find the bedroom particularly small, but it was only my second cruise and I was sleeping solo. Another cruiser who was able to upgrade to a suite stated that she would never travel them without an upgrade.

Food quality aside, I had breakfast in the buffet daily, which was fine. However, my mother went to the dining room, where she felt the attention was lacking; bear in mind that she's definitely not someone who needs to be fawned over.
747FC likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.