Wiki Posts
Search

price reduction

Search this Thread

Old Aug 7, 2018, 9:47 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

price reduction

wife bought a week(sep 23) in a suite from united on carnaval. the price was just cut in half over the weekend. who i contact to get the price i paid reduced? how i go about it? should i contact united or carnival
Old Aug 7, 2018, 11:09 am

Programs: DL Gold, DL MM 8/22/16!
When I had a somewhat related situation where I spotted a price drop, I contacted the agency where I'd bought the cruise (VacationsToGo). In my case it was a lowly inside cabin. They wouldn't give me any money back, but instead upgraded me to a window cabin and gave me some on-board-credit. I was happy with the deal as the original price I'd paid was already excellent. I know the agent went back to the cruise line to sort things out, but I didn't deal with them. Another later cruise I spotted a price drop and thought I'd go for something similar. No luck this time, the agent explained to me, as I'd passed the full-payment date.

I have to assume the results are pretty arbitrary and depend on all sorts of things. Some of which we will never know.

Hope someone has experience more specifically relate to your situation. But you might check the full-payment date and be sure to act before that.
Old Aug 7, 2018, 11:19 am

Programs: Au: UA, Marriott, Hilton; GE
Originally Posted by slawecki
wife bought a week(sep 23) in a suite from united on carnaval. the price was just cut in half over the weekend. who i contact to get the price i paid reduced? how i go about it? should i contact united or carnival
You contact the agency that made your reservation, in this case, United Vacations or whatever they are called.
Old Aug 7, 2018, 12:15 pm

Programs: AA EXP, DL Silver, Global Entry
Originally Posted by slawecki
You do realize you’re probably inside the final payment date and there’s a good chance you’ll get nothing or very little. The fine print in this case could be very limiting.
Old Aug 8, 2018, 12:53 am

Originally Posted by Randyk47

You do realize you’re probably inside the final payment date and there’s a good chance you’ll get nothing or very little. The fine print in this case could be very limiting.
I do have a friend whose TA was able to get her OBC and a cabin upgrade on Seabourn after final payment date when the price of suites drastically decline. A case of YMMV.
Old Aug 8, 2018, 5:12 am

Originally Posted by 747FC
I do have a friend whose TA was able to get her OBC and a cabin upgrade on Seabourn after final payment date when the price of suites drastically decline. A case of YMMV.
Indeed it happens but the smaller luxury lines like Seabourn and Silversea are much more likely to try to accommodate passengers than the mass market lines. In fact Silversea has a fare guarantee program that extends any fare cuts to already booked passengers. Of course what they do is rather than cut fares they’ll throw in other incentives like free air or pre-cruise hotel rooms and those don’t automatically extend to booked passengers. When that happens I have sometimes been able to get something like a slightly offsetting OBC. Will be interesting to see what RCCL does with Silversea now that they control it as they’re bringing a whole different set of fare management practices. As you said YMMV.
Old Aug 8, 2018, 5:18 pm

Programs: Mileage Plus
It worked for me with Seabourn. I booked a cruise and months later talked my in-laws into booking. I cut and pasted the current Seabourn offer to show them and noted that the price had gone down. I called Seabourn and asked for the new deal and they gave me the lower price. I always book direct with Seabourn, don't know if that helps.
Old Aug 8, 2018, 11:22 pm

Originally Posted by jonsail
I always book direct with Seabourn, don't know if that helps.
Randyk47 and I share the same travel agent (thanks to Randy's referral). She is able to offer 10% off Seabourn bookings. Since I have started to use her 1.5 years ago, I've saved around $7K. Thank you Randyk47

PS: I used to book directly with cruiselines, but these saving are too good to pass up.
Randyk47 and Hoyaheel like this.
Old Aug 9, 2018, 1:26 pm

Programs: Delta Gold, silver, what yr is it?
Yep, we started using that TA (and my inlaws happened to book 2 Oceania cruises with them at the same time and used us as their referrals, so....) Spread the good cheer! [our Seabourn cruise is in just under 3 weeks and I am SO excited.]
Old Aug 11, 2018, 5:50 am

I wonder if the OP was able to get either the price reduction or at least some compensation?
dealOCD likes this.
Old Aug 11, 2018, 8:47 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

i made a mistake. my wife got the suite for $1100 for 7 nights up front. so we have a suite on the very back of the boat. we going through the chesapeake canal.
Old Aug 11, 2018, 2:16 pm

Programs: DL Gold, DL MM 8/22/16!
Out of eleven cruises, I got a very back of the ship veranda once. The view can't be beat. It is a wonderful place to be. Just tell your wife "good job" and enjoy.
Old Aug 14, 2018, 7:31 am

I too was spoiled by an aft-facing suite, love the wake at night and the view. Done it twice.
Old Aug 15, 2018, 8:28 pm

Programs: Delta SkyMiles Gold, Hilton HHonors Diamond, and Royal Caribbean Pinnacle Club
Always request the new pricing from where ever you book the cruise from.
Old Aug 16, 2018, 12:47 pm

Originally Posted by 747FC
Randyk47 and I share the same travel agent (thanks to Randy's referral). She is able to offer 10% off Seabourn bookings. Since I have started to use her 1.5 years ago, I've saved around $7K. Thank you Randyk47

PS: I used to book directly with cruiselines, but these saving are too good to pass up.
Totally agree with this. Can't remember when I last booked direct with cruise line.
I paid exactly $2k less than Seabourn was charging on one of their cruises a few years ago using www.cruisecompete.com

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.