Wiki Posts
Search

Advice needed: Holland America cruise compensation for noisy cabin

Search this Thread

Old Jan 16, 2019, 7:40 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: FB Silver going for Gold
Originally Posted by ranles
Just a comment from one who has traveled a number of lines, including HAL and Regent 7 Seas. When we had problems on HAL, fixing it on board often did not occur. The issues on R7S were addressed promptly. This has more to do with the ratio of staff to cabins, tha attitude? We have had issues that were not adequately addressed on both because in was not possible (HAL), at sea. Both have disappointed (value differences) when asking for compensation at corporate. The loss of the use of a veranda for 1/2 of a 24 day cruise on HAL was valued as $20 on ship (2 lunches). We though it should be more the upgrade cost of a portion of the $2800 we paid. We are still "negotiating" with HAL. They think an upgrade, in the same category, makes up for a full category paid for into a cabin with known (by them) problems. Guess it was not an issue for them, as they got revenue for a defective cabin on a ship scheduled for retirement. Hope this is not a big issue for those that follow us, until the retirement takes place. Beats making major changes?
Out of interest, which HAL ship and what was the issue that prevented use of the balcony? I don't think the staff on board for the mass market lines (haven't sailed any premium/luxury ones yet, and the next one is French....) are empowered to do very much, not even move cabins (even on ships that are not sailing full) when there's a problem. I do think they're also trained to smile and fob off doing anything of value. Fortunately I've never had any issues that weren't easily addressed.

Originally Posted by freecia
At least they didn't send you a plate of chocolate covered strawberries and hope that would take care of it? Yes, some mass markets would leave it at that.
On my first HAL cruise, that was exactly how onboard CS response was to top-tier loyal customers who paid for suites. The issue was raw sewage stench on one (sunny) side of the ship that pretty much made sitting on the verandah impossible (we noticed it walking around the ship). Fortunately we were on the shady side which had no stench.
Old Jan 17, 2019, 3:17 am

Originally Posted by ranles
Just a comment from one who has traveled a number of lines, including HAL and Regent 7 Seas. When we had problems on HAL, fixing it on board often did not occur. The issues on R7S were addressed promptly.
This difference makes a lot of sense and should be expected. Holland America is a mass-market, mid-grade cruise line, affordable by a sizable portion of the marketplace. As do all mass-market service providers, in all industries, Holland America crafts a product offering deliberately balancing costs and quality. Meanwhile, Regent Seven Seas is a luxury cruise line, affordable by very few, and so they had better offer substantially better - everything - as compared to Holland America.

Originally Posted by freecia
Unless you have issues with letting things go and it brings a sour taste to your mouth to give them more of your business.
Yes, there are surely a lot of people who jump from the frying pan into the fire, spiting themselves out of some misguided believe that some other service provider of the same grade will perform differently in the same circumstances. After you jump from Holland America to Princess to Celebrity (or Royal Caribbean to Carnival to NCL, for that matter) and then back again, you come to realize all you have done is spread your patronage around, thereby making it more difficult to obtain the valuable elite status on any of the cruise lines.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.