Search

Reefer Madness on Alaska cruises?

Search this Thread

Old Aug 2, 2018, 7:49 am
Suspended
Original Poster

Programs: Aeroplan, IHG, Enterprise, Avios, Nexus
Reefer Madness on Alaska cruises?

Recreational cannabis is currently legal in Alaska, Oregon and Washington State. In October, it will be legalized in Canada. Most Alaska cruises start, finish and remain within those territories. How will cruise companies on those itineraries handle this newly-legal product? How should they?
Old Aug 2, 2018, 8:03 am
Moderator, Marriott Bonvoy & FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: United Silver; AA Plat/2MM; Marriott LT Titanium; Hilton Gold
I do believe it is still technically illegal under US Federal law. Thus I'd guess cruise ships still can't/won't allow it.
Old Aug 2, 2018, 8:09 am

Programs: AA EXP, DL Silver, Global Entry
Originally Posted by Badenoch
Recreational cannabis is currently legal in Alaska, Oregon and Washington State. In October, it will be legalized in Canada. Most Alaska cruises start, finish and remain within those territories. How will cruise companies on those itineraries handle this newly-legal product? How should they?
Cruise lines have been pretty consistent on the position that as long as it is against US Federal law they will not allow it. As for us personally my wife works for the US Army as a Federal civil servant and is still subject to random drug testing. A positive test can be grounds for immediate dismissal. Neither of us care for the stuff and the random testing and potential consequences totally remove any temptation.

Related is that many cruise lines, particularly those that a based or cruise out of US ports, still adher to the “legal” drinking age of 21 years old. Even in Europe where many countries have much lower age limits lines will enforce the 21 years old drinking age. We were on a Med cruise last year where one of the passengers was celebrating his 20th birthday and was from a country with an 18 year old limit. The line wouldn’t let him drink unless a parent said it was okay. He wasn’t cruising with a parent but an older lady volunteered to become “mom” and had to approve him getting served alcohol.

Last edited by Randyk47; Aug 2, 2018 at 8:48 am
Old Aug 2, 2018, 11:34 pm

Programs: Delta SkyMiles Gold, Hilton HHonors Diamond, and Royal Caribbean Pinnacle Club
It may be legal in those States and also will be in Canada however it's still very illegal to carry them across state line and across international boarders. Also for all the cruise line that I know of, it's still on the prohibited item list. You can smuggle it on but you'll get into a lot of trouble if you get caught.
Old Aug 3, 2018, 3:59 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: SF CA USA. I love large faceless corporations. And they cherish me in return (sometimes). ;)
Programs: UA Premier Gold/disappointed 1MM, HH Gold, IHG Plat, MB Gold, BW Diam Sel
The other problem (not mentioned yet) is that the smoke can drift around and some (many?) of the other passengers might not appreciate involuntarily inhaling pot smoke -- just as a lot of people don't appreciate inhaling other people's tobacco smoke. Even if all the legal barriers are removed, the drifting smoke problem might be hard to overcome. Would vaping be better in this regard than smoking? (Of course, people could use edible or other forms without it having a direct impact on other passengers.)
Old Aug 3, 2018, 4:17 am

Programs: BA Gold
Just pitching in here, I don't know how far out to sea these cruises go but once you're 12 miles off the coast and in international waters the laws of the Country of registry / homeport of the ship will be pre-emininent. So regardless of the legality of cannabis in Alaska perhaps it's different in Nassau or wherever the ship is 'from'. In addition most if not all maritime laws will allow the Captain to set tighter restrictions onboard. So it might be legal to smoke in place X but the captain can say no smoking on board at all and that's the rule you have to follow.
Old Aug 20, 2018, 11:10 am

Programs: American Airlines, Marriott, Hertz, Avis
I was on an Alaska cruise with Regent Seven Seas in July during sailaway from Ketchikan (I think) sitting outside by the smoking area chatting with one of the ship's officers. A group of older (60's-70's) men came outside, told everyone out there what they were going to do and that they were all welcome to enjoy with them.

I continued chatting with the officer - who was there for another 10 minutes or so - while the group smoked their joint and headed back inside. Neither of us reacted at all, beyond declining the offer to join in.

Other than that, the only mention I saw of marijuana was in ship's documentation reminding us that we weren't supposed to be bringing it or using it on board.
Old Aug 22, 2018, 9:10 am

I had a tablemate who actually worked security at corporate for the cruise line. We were walking past some passenger cabins when we smelled the distinctive odor and she said that she had to call it into ships security that it was specifically banned in the cruise contract let alone the trouble they cruise line could get into from the country of the port of call. I continued to dinner and she came later but the subject didn't come up further.
Old Mar 12, 2019, 12:02 pm

Originally Posted by SkaterJasp
It may be legal in those States and also will be in Canada however it's still very illegal to carry them across state line and across international boarders. Also for all the cruise line that I know of, it's still on the prohibited item list. You can smuggle it on but you'll get into a lot of trouble if you get caught.
USA has got to have some of the dumbest laws. Re alcohol, CA is now considering lowering the BAC max to .05. How ridiculous but I suspect legislators will approve it. Most people function fine after two drinks within an hour and aren't the ones who cause accidents. Meanwhile, Germany allows 16 year-olds to begin maturing with alcohol (beer and wine) and many others at 18 years. At any rate, good to know if you're a young foreigner already adapted to alcohol that your cruise ship may prohibit you from it.
Old Mar 12, 2019, 12:16 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: SF CA USA. I love large faceless corporations. And they cherish me in return (sometimes). ;)
Programs: UA Premier Gold/disappointed 1MM, HH Gold, IHG Plat, MB Gold, BW Diam Sel
Originally Posted by Tailgater
USA has got to have some of the dumbest laws. Re alcohol, CA is now considering lowering the BAC max to .05. How ridiculous but I suspect legislators will approve it. Most people function fine after two drinks within an hour and aren't the ones who cause accidents. Meanwhile, Germany allows 16 year-olds to begin maturing with alcohol (beer and wine) and many others at 18 years. At any rate, good to know if you're a young foreigner already adapted to alcohol that your cruise ship may prohibit you from it.
When you make statements about alcohol and driving, it's a good idea to provide some citations backing up your supposed facts. (Anyhow, the thread is about marijuana on cruises, not DUI laws.)
mendezka likes this.
Old Mar 12, 2019, 1:11 pm

Programs: Delta Gold, silver, what yr is it?
I meant to post a photo I took on our Alaska cruise in Sept - specifically called out marijuana not being allowed on the ship, posted at security to board...I'll see if I can find the photo. I've been terrible and don't think I've indexed any of my pics from the trip :-( (husband took the "good" photos....)

Last edited by Hoyaheel; Mar 12, 2019 at 1:23 pm
Old Mar 12, 2019, 1:23 pm

dangit I cannot figure out how to upload this stupid pic and I swear it's going to flip a switch and 17 photos of the sign will show up.....
Old Mar 12, 2019, 1:28 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Regardless of laws or rules, people use cannabis on cruises every day everywhere.
Old Mar 12, 2019, 1:30 pm

And this thread only mentions "smoking" - edibles & vapes & tinctures all popular options.....
rickg523 likes this.
Old Mar 12, 2019, 1:56 pm

Programs: American Express got a hit man lookin' for me
Originally Posted by tinkicker
Just pitching in here, I don't know how far out to sea these cruises go but once you're 12 miles off the coast and in international waters the laws of the Country of registry / homeport of the ship will be pre-emininent. So regardless of the legality of cannabis in Alaska perhaps it's different in Nassau or wherever the ship is 'from'. In addition most if not all maritime laws will allow the Captain to set tighter restrictions onboard. So it might be legal to smoke in place X but the captain can say no smoking on board at all and that's the rule you have to follow.
Domestic cruises have to be on US-flagged ships; otherwise it's a cabotage violation.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.