Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Cruises
Reload this Page >

taxi/uber/lyft from place where cruise sho

taxi/uber/lyft from place where cruise sho

Old Jul 25, 18, 9:36 am
  #1  
Original Poster
 
Join Date: Jan 2003
Location: COS/DEN
Programs: WN RR, UA M+, Hilton, Marriott
Posts: 6,108
taxi/uber/lyft from place where cruise ship docks?

I am trying to figure out whether I will be able to get a taxi/uber/lyft to take me from whereever I disembark at ports of call on a Holland America cruise going from SEA up to Ketchikan AK. The cruise line offers a "handoff" service to shore excursion services at the ports of call, but of course, the handoff service is about double what I expect a taxi would cost, and you are stuck departing and returning when the shore excursion service can pick you up.

The ports of call are Juneau,
Glacier Bay National Park, Sitka, Alaska, Ketchikan, Alaska
Victoria, British Columbia

Anyone have experience with catching a cab at the dock when on a cruise?
Thanks in advance

Last edited by COS_Flyer; Jul 25, 18 at 10:20 am
COS_Flyer is offline  
Old Jul 25, 18, 9:41 am
  #2  
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Programs: Delta Silver (2019)
Posts: 1,904
Glacier Bay is a cruising day - you are not at a port. I know you can get cabs in Juneau but they aren't cheap. Renting a car is an option (might be cost-effective depending on the number in your party and what you plan to do) Juneau also has public buses. Ketchikan has a free shuttle that goes in a loop around the area.https://visit-ketchikan.com/en/Getting-Around-Ketchikan Rental cars too.

Every port in Alaska has a GREAT visitors page with all sorts of useful information. I'm currently planning my 3rd AK cruise ;-) We leave at the end of August....
Hoyaheel is offline  
Old Jul 25, 18, 9:58 am
  #3  
Original Poster
 
Join Date: Jan 2003
Location: COS/DEN
Programs: WN RR, UA M+, Hilton, Marriott
Posts: 6,108
Thanks
COS_Flyer is offline  
Old Jul 25, 18, 10:24 am
  #4  
Original Poster
 
Join Date: Jan 2003
Location: COS/DEN
Programs: WN RR, UA M+, Hilton, Marriott
Posts: 6,108
So my wife really wants to see bears on a shore excursion but all the tours affiliated with the Holland cruise line filled up. Any suggestions for other shore excursion tours that would include bear watching? I'm not sure how long we will have at each stop, but I'm just trying to run down other options at this point.
COS_Flyer is offline  
Old Jul 25, 18, 11:39 am
  #5  
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: SFO/SMF
Programs: Holder of six "persona non-grata" awards
Posts: 1,903
Will this work?




Originally Posted by COS_Flyer View Post
So my wife really wants to see bears on a shore excursion but all the tours affiliated with the Holland cruise line filled up. Any suggestions for other shore excursion tours that would include bear watching? I'm not sure how long we will have at each stop, but I'm just trying to run down other options at this point.
Jaimito Cartero likes this.
fozziedoggie is offline  
Old Jul 25, 18, 11:50 am
  #6  
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Programs: Delta Silver (2019)
Posts: 1,904
For DETAILED information on Alaska cruising, cruise critic has a TON of info & informed passengers (and locals) in the Alaska ports of call forum.

https://boards.cruisecritic.com/forumdisplay.php?f=55

You can read reviews from past years and read the forum to see who recommends which tour(s) in which ports. We haven't done a bear watching tour specifically so I can't help with that, though I know they're offered in at least Juneau and Ketchikan. Might be flightseeing though, which just means more $. But all ports have private tour operators (again, many are linked from town visitor's guide sites, but personal recs can be found on CC and also on tripadvisor) We almost never book a ship's excursion - I'm too frugal for that ;-)

For port timing information, your itinerary on HAL should have this information - time they expect to be in port as well as leave. That way you'll know if you can spend 5 hours on an excursion or only 2. Is this your first cruise?
wrp96 likes this.
Hoyaheel is offline  
Old Jul 25, 18, 10:18 pm
  #7  
Original Poster
 
Join Date: Jan 2003
Location: COS/DEN
Programs: WN RR, UA M+, Hilton, Marriott
Posts: 6,108
"Bear -watching", not "Bare-watching"

Originally Posted by fozziedoggie View Post
Will this work?


Last edited by COS_Flyer; Jul 25, 18 at 10:23 pm Reason: If my wife wanted to see a gray haired shirtless guy, she can do that without going to Alaska (or leaving the house).
COS_Flyer is offline  
Old Jul 25, 18, 10:20 pm
  #8  
Original Poster
 
Join Date: Jan 2003
Location: COS/DEN
Programs: WN RR, UA M+, Hilton, Marriott
Posts: 6,108
Originally Posted by Hoyaheel View Post
For DETAILED information on Alaska cruising, cruise critic has a TON of info & informed passengers (and locals) in the Alaska ports of call forum.

https://boards.cruisecritic.com/forumdisplay.php?f=55

You can read reviews from past years and read the forum to see who recommends which tour(s) in which ports. We haven't done a bear watching tour specifically so I can't help with that, though I know they're offered in at least Juneau and Ketchikan. Might be flightseeing though, which just means more $. But all ports have private tour operators (again, many are linked from town visitor's guide sites, but personal recs can be found on CC and also on tripadvisor) We almost never book a ship's excursion - I'm too frugal for that ;-)

For port timing information, your itinerary on HAL should have this information - time they expect to be in port as well as leave. That way you'll know if you can spend 5 hours on an excursion or only 2. Is this your first cruise?
With the cruisecritic website, we did manage to book something. Thanks
COS_Flyer is offline  
Old Jul 27, 18, 2:00 am
  #9  
 
Join Date: Mar 2003
Location: San Francisco, CA
Programs: DL SkyMiles, RCCL CAS D+, B6 TrueBlue, VX eleVAte, HHonors, SPG, AAdvantage, andAS MilagePlan.
Posts: 987
Originally Posted by COS_Flyer View Post
So my wife really wants to see bears on a shore excursion but all the tours affiliated with the Holland cruise line filled up. Any suggestions for other shore excursion tours that would include bear watching? I'm not sure how long we will have at each stop, but I'm just trying to run down other options at this point.
You could always go online and book independently from another tour provider... if you must do a excursion with the ship... i would check onboard and see what they have to offer at sailing. Some time they hold some inventory to be sold onboard... basically check as soon as you get onboard.. if none are available see if they can put you on a wait list.. some cruise line offer wait list while others don't.. not sure about Holland America. In addition, keep checking online.. most prebook shore excursions are cancelable and people do tend to cancel and book another tour.. so just keep checking. The only other alternative is to search for tours that may be offer by another company not affiliate with the cruise line. I tend to do that a lot if it get be back to port with plenty of time to spare... the biggest advantage of doing that is the cost saving AND often time it's a smaller group. The disadvantage is theres no guarantee the ship will wait for you or provide you with transportation to the next port should that tour run late and you miss the ship.
SkaterJasp is offline  
Old Jul 27, 18, 7:26 pm
  #10  
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: MSP
Programs: DL Gold, DL MM 8/22/16!
Posts: 2,526
After you figure out which stop is for seeing a bear, take a look at the cruise port locations vs the actual cities for the other stops. When we weren't doing some tour/excursion, my son and I usually just walked into the city, and then walked around. Most of the ports are pretty close. Cruise Critic suggested by an earlier poster is also a good way, but I usually do mapping because I also spot different things I'd like to see.
Romelle is offline  
Old Jul 28, 18, 6:41 am
  #11  
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Programs: Delta Silver (2019)
Posts: 1,904
Originally Posted by Romelle View Post
but I usually do mapping because I also spot different things I'd like to see.
I have a Google My Map for pretty much every place I visit - AK cruise included ;-) It's part of my vacation research. Because I'm a dork ;-) So when I'm watching a travel show and a restaurant looks fun, I add it to my map for that place.....
Hoyaheel is offline  
Old Aug 20, 18, 8:44 pm
  #12  
Original Poster
 
Join Date: Jan 2003
Location: COS/DEN
Programs: WN RR, UA M+, Hilton, Marriott
Posts: 6,108
Thanks all. We had a good trip and booked several enjoyable shore excursions, some through Alaska Shore Excursions, and some through Viator. We went on a Holland America ship, and found the food and on-board amenities were very nice. The rooms were a bit snug, considerably less square footage than a regular hotel room, but we did have a room with a place to sit two chairs next to each other on our deck. My wife wants to go back again, so that's saying something, given how wearing she can find travel.
Hoyaheel likes this.

Last edited by COS_Flyer; Aug 20, 18 at 8:45 pm Reason: omitted word
COS_Flyer is offline  

Thread Tools
Search this Thread