Wiki Posts
Search

Royal Caribbean Acquires Controling Interest in Silversea

Search this Thread

Old Jun 15, 2018, 5:43 am
Original Poster

Programs: AA EXP, DL Silver, Global Entry
Royal Caribbean Acquires Controling Interest in Silversea

Interesting announcement that Royal Caribbean Cruises Ltd is paying $1B to acquire a controlling interest in Silversea. Silversea was the largest luxury line not owned by a larger umbrella corporation. With the acquisition adds RCCL a supposedly ultra-luxury line and a small fleet of expedition ships to their Celebrity, Royal Caribbean International, and Azamara lines. Naturally there is a bit of angst among Silversea loyalists as they worry about that this might mean in terms of potential degradation of the Silversea experience now controlled by a larger bottom line driven corporation. Likewise Azamara loyalists are concerned about what this might mean to the long term survival of Azamara. While not exactly the same level product there are a lot of similarities between Silversea and Azamara and Azamara up until now has been pushed as RCCL’s luxury line. Some point to the fact that the three Azamara ships are older rehabbed ships and RCCL has not seen fit to program or plan replacements or additional ships. Time will tell.
Old Jun 17, 2018, 4:39 am

From what I understand, some Silversea loyalists have been worried about how Silversea has been degrading over the last several years. There are those who are even expressing optimism that the degradation in progress might slow with a new influx of investment from RCL.

But definitely: Time will tell.
Old Jun 17, 2018, 6:06 am

Programs: QFF LTG , HHD
Originally Posted by bicker
From what I understand, some Silversea loyalists have been worried about how Silversea has been degrading over the last several years. There are those who are even expressing optimism that the degradation in progress might slow with a new influx of investment from RCL.

But definitely: Time will tell.
You are no doubt right that time will tell. But rest assured that there isn't a cruise line in existence where the regulars do not think it is declining. Things are never as good as they were.
DJ_Iceman likes this.
Old Jun 17, 2018, 6:59 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by turtlemichael
You are no doubt right that time will tell. But rest assured that there isn't a cruise line in existence where the regulars do not think it is declining. Things are never as good as they were.
That’s very true. We’ve taken eight cruises on Silversea since 2012 and indeed there has been some degradation. I will say the Silversea acquisition by RCCL is a bit of a head scratcher as Silversea launched their new Muse this year, stretched the Spirit and basically “Musified” it, repurposed and strengthened the Cloud to be a expedition ship, and announced the ordering of another Muse-clone ship to be called the Dawn. Sounds like a healthy company but I think they had secured something like a $500M line of credit to make all this happen and they have to service that debt so maybe the influx of $1B makes sense. The cruising industry is also a bit like the airline industry where there are fewer and fewer truly standalone lines. I don’t know the exact percentage but between the umbrella Carnival Corporation and Royal Caribbean Cruise Lines corporations they pretty well have a liplock on the industry.
turtlemichael likes this.
Old Jun 17, 2018, 12:14 pm

Programs: Au: UA, Marriott, Hilton; GE
Appears that RCCL's investment strategy in Silversea may be borrowing from the playbook of CCL's eventual acquisition of Seabourn:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Seabou...e_Line#History
Old Jun 17, 2018, 12:39 pm

Originally Posted by Randyk47
I don’t know the exact percentage but between the umbrella Carnival Corporation and Royal Caribbean Cruise Lines corporations they pretty well have a liplock on the industry.
It is a high percentage, but I think it is worth including NCL and MSC. Once you are considering all four corporations, you can safely say that the rest of the industry is substantially marginal.

Regardless:

Carnival = 47.4%
Royal Caribbean (including Silversea) = 23.3%
NCL = 9.5%
MSC = 7.2%
(by passengers)

The entire rest of the cruise industry worldwide is less than 13%, and that even includes some not-so-small cruise lines like Disney.
Old Jun 18, 2018, 6:54 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by bicker
It is a high percentage, but I think it is worth including NCL and MSC. Once you are considering all four corporations, you can safely say that the rest of the industry is substantially marginal.

Regardless:

Carnival = 47.4%
Royal Caribbean (including Silversea) = 23.3%
NCL = 9.5%
MSC = 7.2%
(by passengers)

The entire rest of the cruise industry worldwide is less than 13%, and that even includes some not-so-small cruise lines like Disney.
Thanks for the research and stats. Revealing and interesting that four companies control 87% +/- of the entire industry with the two big ones controling 71% +/-. I probably ought to have at least included NCL as they now control NCL, Regent, and Oceania cruise lines which gives them a presence in the mass market, premium, and luxury markets.

Last edited by Randyk47; Jun 18, 2018 at 7:57 am
Old Jun 20, 2018, 6:39 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

while small ships are obviously small in all measures, there are a bunch, are they included in those kinds of statistics?
Old Jun 21, 2018, 4:12 am

Originally Posted by Kagehitokiri
while small ships are obviously small in all measures, there are a bunch, are they included in those kinds of statistics?
Yes. Bount, SeaDream, Paul Gauguin, Grand Circle, Travel Dynamics, etc. all included.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.