Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Recommendations for a short cruise departing Tampa

Search this Thread

Old May 24, 2018, 3:26 pm

Programs: AA EXP, DL Silver, Global Entry
Originally Posted by TribalistMeathead
Doubtful, since Baltimore is also a commercial port. I think it's more the fact that Baltimore is a "downmarket" port of origin.
Agree about Baltimore. Really comes down to a time and distance decision. It takes too much time to travel the distance to the more popular destinations. Some lines still run limited cruises out of ports like Baltimore and Norfolk to say Bermuda and “cruises to nowhere” but not many. Might add that the major issue in Tampa the Sunshine Skyway Bridge that limits the height of vessels entering/exiting Tampa Bay. Many of the larger cruise ships simply won’t fit under the bridge’s 180 foot height limit.
Old May 25, 2018, 7:07 am

Key Bridge limits the size of ships that can call at Baltimore. You also have the nice round trip down the Chessepeak, paying tax on all your purchases too, I know minor but was a surprise.
Old May 25, 2018, 7:39 am

Originally Posted by Randyk47

Agree about Baltimore. Really comes down to a time and distance decision. It takes too much time to travel the distance to the more popular destinations. Some lines still run limited cruises out of ports like Baltimore and Norfolk to say Bermuda and “cruises to nowhere” but not many. Might add that the major issue in Tampa the Sunshine Skyway Bridge that limits the height of vessels entering/exiting Tampa Bay. Many of the larger cruise ships simply won’t fit under the bridge’s 180 foot height limit.
I don't think it's time and distance, there are two cruises out of Baltimore to the Caribbean in July, and other cruise lines seem to make it down there from Bayonne and NYC just fine. I think it's the fact that passengers from Baltimore are especially budget-minded.
Old May 25, 2018, 9:12 am

I don't think it's time and distance, there are two cruises out of Baltimore to the Caribbean in July, and other cruise lines seem to make it down there from Bayonne and NYC just fine. I think it's the fact that passengers from Baltimore are especially budget-minded.
I didn’t say none but two in a month is not exactly high traffic either. What would be more interesting is the number during peak season. Obviously no port can compete with Ft Lauderdale during peak season.
Old May 25, 2018, 9:39 am

What would be more interesting is the number during peak season.
8 in December 2018 (5 on Carnival, 3 on Royal Caribbean), according to Costco Travel.
Old May 25, 2018, 10:38 am

8 in December 2018 (5 on Carnival, 3 on Royal Caribbean), according to Costco Travel.
So a whole month’s worth is about a typical weekend in Ft Lauderdale. 🙂
Old May 25, 2018, 10:56 am

So a whole month’s worth is about a typical weekend in Ft Lauderdale. 🙂
For largely the same reasons United offers flights every hour from O'Hare to LaGuardia, but one flight a day from O'Hare to Muskegon, MI, yes.
Old May 25, 2018, 12:29 pm

Regarding Baltimore, keep in mind the ships that cruise out of the port.

To Bermuda:
From Baltimore: Grandeur of the Seas; 22 years old.
From New York: Anthem of the Seas; 3 years old.

To Grand Turk:
From Baltimore: Carnival Pride; 16 years old. Also: The Bahamas.
From New York: Carnival Horizon; brand new. Also: PR and DR.

Baltimore (and Galveston) seem to be where the less popular ships end up home-porting, and from where the more cost-effective albeit perhaps less desirable itineraries are assigned.
Old May 26, 2018, 6:09 am

Cruise lines are restricted to older ships because the new ones are too big heightwise to get to Baltimore port. An Oasis, Breakaway or Horizon class ship won't fit under the bridges.

After getting there the port infrastructure would need to be modified. NYC had to rebuild the passenger gangway for the Breakaway class. Her first visit Breakway had to lower a few lifeboats before docking and tie them up at the pier. The old gangway only reached her boatdeck not the deck designated for embarkments.

So older shorter ships at Baltimore.
Old May 26, 2018, 7:02 am

Tampa has that restriction as well, but at one point so did other ports that have since been restructured to support newer, taller ships. There's no need to do that in Baltimore (and Tampa) because the intention is to keep older, shorter ships there. Eventually, those ships will go by the wayside and today's newer, taller ships will become the older ships that need to cruise out of these budget ports, and the ports will have to be restructured to support them or lose the homeport altogether.
Old May 27, 2018, 8:26 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

my understanding is that grandeure of the seas sells out weekly out of balt(2200 guests). the boat was rebuilt(restored?) in 2018. we have been on it 4 times(to nowhere), and have a 12 day scheduled for nov 10. we just got off a viking transatlantic, and i prefer it to RCC, but the cost is 3x on viking, and i think i prefer RCC at the low price.
Old May 28, 2018, 6:24 am

Originally Posted by slawecki
my understanding is that grandeure of the seas sells out weekly out of balt(2200 guests).
No surprise given how cheap those cruises are.

Though, when you think about, which ships don't "sell out weekly"? You can find reports of that for just about every ship these days.
Old May 30, 2018, 9:02 am

Originally Posted by bicker
Tampa has that restriction as well, but at one point so did other ports that have since been restructured to support newer, taller ships. There's no need to do that in Baltimore (and Tampa) because the intention is to keep older, shorter ships there. Eventually, those ships will go by the wayside and today's newer, taller ships will become the older ships that need to cruise out of these budget ports, and the ports will have to be restructured to support them or lose the homeport altogether.
Might not, actually most probably not, in my lifetime that you see either Baltimore or Tampa make substantial port changes to accommodate larger cruise ships. Expanding docks and piers is one thing but the two big hurdles are the bridges that limit the height of ships that can enter the respective ports. When I lived in the DC area 15 years ago the replacement of the Key Bridge was oft discussed and debated but they have chosen to spend considerable amounts expanding the carrying capacity rather than replace the bridge. The Sunshine Skyway Bridge is relatively new and replacing or raising the height of the bridge would be expensive. The more probable scenario is that some lines will continue to sail out of these ports as long as they have the older, smaller ships but will eventually abandon these ports.
Old Jun 1, 2018, 3:50 am

Might not, actually most probably not, in my lifetime that you see either Baltimore or Tampa make substantial port changes to accommodate larger cruise ships. Expanding docks and piers is one thing but the two big hurdles are the bridges that limit the height of ships that can enter the respective ports.
I hate to quote Spock from "The Wrath of Khan", but your analysis "exhibits 2-dimensional thinking".

Portland approves plan to dredge harbor to allow big cruise ships
https://bangordailynews.com/2012/03/...bor-megaberth/

major dredging projects in the Eastern Caribbean ports and Cozumel
Ports invest eagerly to handle Royal Caribbean's mega-ships: Travel Weekly
Old Jun 1, 2018, 4:47 am

Originally Posted by bicker
I hate to quote Spock from "The Wrath of Khan", but your analysis "exhibits 2-dimensional thinking".

https://bangordailynews.com/2012/03/...bor-megaberth/

Ports invest eagerly to handle Royal Caribbean's mega-ships: Travel Weekly
That’s all fine and good and certainly is an option for ports needing deeper access but has nothing to do with Tampa and Baltimore. Their limitation is primarily the height of bridges not the depth of water. Dredging in those cases won’t make the bridges taller. If in some future date they build new and taller bridges then water depth and dredging could or would be the next consideration or option. All I’m saying is right now neither ports have near term plans to replace the subject bridges and would probably need a lot more incentive than simply accommodating bigger cruise ships.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.