Recommendations for a short cruise departing Tampa

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Recommendations for a short cruise departing Tampa

Search this Thread

Old Jun 1, 2018, 3:42 pm

Originally Posted by Randyk47
All I’m saying is right now neither ports have near term plans to replace the subject bridges and would probably need a lot more incentive than simply accommodating bigger cruise ships.
Fair enough. They surely won't make changes until they risk losing too much money by not making changes. What we can rely on, though, is that the cruise lines won't retain old, smaller ships, or build new, smaller ships, when their profit model is built on the much greater efficiency of today's larger ships.
Old Jun 1, 2018, 3:51 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA
In the case of Baltimore and Tampa, with the limitations caused by bridge height, it is possible that, rather than modifying the facilities, they will become obsolete cruise ports once the shorter ships are no longer in service, similar to what happened to Philadelphia (when I first started cruising, there were cruises from Philadelphia).
Old Jun 2, 2018, 5:13 am

Tampa especially. With Baltimore, the question of alternative ports comes into play. Norfolk is too far away to be considered an alternative. Cape Liberty is two and a half hours away by car - probably still too far to serve BOS-WASH.

Then there is Wilmington DE. It's surely close enough for all but the most persnickety of Baltimore passengers, and it could even recapture some passengers from Philadelphia that find both Baltimore and Cape Liberty too far away.
Old Jun 2, 2018, 7:46 am

Programs: AA EXP, DL Silver, Global Entry
Originally Posted by bicker
Tampa especially. With Baltimore, the question of alternative ports comes into play. Norfolk is too far away to be considered an alternative. Cape Liberty is two and a half hours away by car - probably still too far to serve BOS-WASH.

Then there is Wilmington DE. It's surely close enough for all but the most persnickety of Baltimore passengers, and it could even recapture some passengers from Philadelphia that find both Baltimore and Cape Liberty too far away.
Holland America, and maybe other lines but not sure about that, tried Norfolk for a few years and pulled out. The sailings seemed to be popular at least in the sense they sold out many of the cruises but they also may have had to cut fares to attract cruisers. I think Norfolk even invested in a new cruise terminal or terminals but it didn’t pan out. I don’t recall all the issues but they ran along the lines of more difficult to get to if you couldn’t drive and limited itineraries because of the running time to reach even the more northern Caribbean islands.
Old Jun 2, 2018, 8:23 am

Norfolk is too far from the big northeastern cities. I'm not sure why "running time to reach even the more northern Caribbean islands" from Norfolk would be any worse than from Baltimore - I'd think better.

Regardless, Wilmington is a much better prospect. 46 million people live within 200 miles of Wilmington, and from that entire area it is almost as if "all roads lead to Wilmington" (I-95 from Richmond, Washington, Baltimore; I-66 from the Shenandoah Valley; I-76, I-70 and I-95 from Pittsburgh; I-95 from Philadelphia and New York; I-476 from Northeastern PA).
Old Jun 2, 2018, 8:59 am

Norfolk is too far from the big northeastern cities. I'm not sure why "running time to reach even the more northern Caribbean islands" from Norfolk would be any worse than from Baltimore - I'd think better.

Regardless, Wilmington is a much better prospect. 46 million people live within 200 miles of Wilmington, and from that entire area it is almost as if "all roads lead to Wilmington" (I-95 from Richmond, Washington, Baltimore; I-66 from the Shenandoah Valley; I-76, I-70 and I-95 from Pittsburgh; I-95 from Philadelphia and New York; I-476 from Northeastern PA).
Norfolk would be a little better than Baltimore but the “meat and potatoes” of cruising are 7-day cruises and you can only get so far and back again in seven days. Even the few 12-day cruises out of Baltimore don’t get to the more southern Caribbean islands.
Old Jun 2, 2018, 9:44 am

Programs: Delta Gold, silver, what yr is it?
Well, since we're so far afield from short cruises in Tampa....

My first cruise with my husband was 2006, 10day southern Caribbean out of Norfolk on HAL. We loved being able to drive (from central NC, not a short drive, but totally doable day of...) It's really the only drivable port for us, so we don't drive anymore. Of course, we're also not really interested in Caribbean cruising either, but we do mourn the loss of Norfolk as an option...We had a VERY ROUGH first couple days on that cruise. Like, rolling out of bed bad. And many of the people with cabins in the bow were looking for alternate places to sleep.
Old Jun 2, 2018, 10:01 am

The drive from W-S (for example) to Charleston is only a few minutes longer, as compared to Norfolk, and less prone to bad traffic in my experience.

Of course, as we mentioned earlier, the problem with all these cruises from the off-price ports is that you tend to get lesser ships and lesser itineraries. Having said that, there are cruises from Charleston that visit Aruba and Curacao.
Old Jun 2, 2018, 10:24 am

The drive from W-S (for example) to Charleston is only a few minutes longer, as compared to Norfolk, and less prone to bad traffic in my experience. Of course, as we mentioned earlier, the problem with all these cruises from the off-price ports is that you tend to get lesser ships and lesser itineraries. Having said that, there are cruises from Charleston that visit Aruba and Curacao.
We're finicky about the size of ships we'll cruise on. Right now, the only line using Charleston looks to be Carnival? (last I checked, I think they were the only ones using Norfolk too) So, not gonna work for us....But also it's an hour and a half quicker to Norfolk. So it really depends on where you live ;-) And moot anyway, for us...
Old Jun 2, 2018, 1:47 pm

Originally Posted by Hoyaheel
We're finicky about the size of ships we'll cruise on. Right now, the only line using Charleston looks to be Carnival? (last I checked, I think they were the only ones using Norfolk too) So, not gonna work for us...
If you restrict yourself to a local port then your choices are going to be limited, and again, inferior to what you can get by embarking from a major cruise port, like Miami.
Old Jun 3, 2018, 8:24 am

Originally Posted by slawecki
for a 3 day,you will get on the boat at around 2pm, have a whole day, and then get off the boat at 10am the next day. you will hardly have time to play the slot machines.

i like RC. we yacht(fly?) out of Baltimore. they only have one boat that services Balt. it is old, and been rebuilt a time or two. the something of the sea. cooking is very good, staff is terrific. one gets nickel and dime to death, but the berths are cheap. my understanding is that both balt and tampa have a problem with water depth, so the monster boats do not fit.
FYI.. . I would suggest not calling the Ship a
"boat" arround crew members. Boats are on the ship to save you if the ship sinks.
Old Jun 3, 2018, 9:18 am

If you restrict yourself to a local port then your choices are going to be limited, .
I would have thought saying we don't enjoy sailing the Caribbean but live in NC would have already limited us. We don't drive to cruise ports. We did it once, for our first cruise together. It is highly unlikely we ever will again. That's where the "moot" in my original quotation comes into play ;-)
Old Jun 3, 2018, 10:14 am

Originally Posted by Hoyaheel
I would have thought saying we don't enjoy sailing the Caribbean but live in NC would have already limited us. We don't drive to cruise ports. We did it once, for our first cruise together. It is highly unlikely we ever will again. That's where the "moot" in my original quotation comes into play ;-)
We did the Caribbean for several years and pretty much went to every island cruise ships go to. Only once did we drive to Galveston to catch a cruise. Living in Texas driving to any other port in the US isn’t an attractive option so “moot” to us also. Seven years ago we gave up cruising the Caribbean and changed our focus to Europe and primarily the Med. We’ve now spent some 100 days cruising and another 12 or so on land in the Med and pretty much seen what we wanted so there are no plans to go back. Not sure where or when we’ll cruise again though the Baltic, Asia, and the South Pacific are potential destinations.
Old Jun 4, 2018, 7:53 am
Suspended

Programs: Aeroplan, IHG, Enterprise, Avios, Nexus
Originally Posted by bigbuy
FYI.. . I would suggest not calling the Ship a
"boat" arround crew members. Boats are on the ship to save you if the ship sinks.
I've never seen or heard of a crew member objecting to what you called the vessel. You might find a cruise culture snob tut-tutting if you use the term "boat" but like most annoying pests they are easy to shoo away.
bicker likes this.
Old Jun 4, 2018, 7:58 am

Originally Posted by Badenoch
I've never seen or heard of a crew member objecting to what you called the vessel. You might find a cruise culture snob tut-tutting if you use the term "boat" but like most annoying pests they are easy to shoo away.
I have never heard it either. They would probably get fired if they reprimanded a guest. I have heard passengers call it a boat in front of ship personnel and in every instance, the employee used the term "ship" in their response.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.