Community
Wiki Posts
Search

New to Cruises... Need advice

Search this Thread

Old Feb 3, 2018, 4:53 am

Programs: DL Gold, DL MM 8/22/16!
IATA

Have you searched the web for what that IATA card will do for you? Nobody here has addressed that factor yet. A couple minutes poking around, and it looks like you could do better with that than us civilians can do. One person even said it isn't worth much for airlines, but is great for cruises. And since your expertise is in airlines, maybe that set your expectations for cruises.

But be a good sport and let us know, just to satisfy curiosity even if it makes us jealous.
Old Feb 3, 2018, 4:56 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: BA Silver, EY Gold, HH Diamond, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by Romelle
Have you searched the web for what that IATA card will do for you? Nobody here has addressed that factor yet. A couple minutes poking around, and it looks like you could do better with that than us civilians can do. One person even said it isn't worth much for airlines, but is great for cruises. And since your expertise is in airlines, maybe that set your expectations for cruises.

But be a good sport and let us know, just to satisfy curiosity even if it makes us jealous.
I was going to do that. First wanted to narrow down 2-3 different liners and then contact them direct. There is just so much option that I got lost as soon as I started playing around with the different ships.

Originally Posted by fredjr
OP,

What do you other traveling companions want?
Just a 4* cruise liner that has some interesting stops and great food. Oh and some activities for kids. Maybe slides in the pools and a decent kids club. Balcony for sure.
Old Feb 3, 2018, 8:03 am

Programs: AA EXP, DL Silver, Global Entry
Originally Posted by onlysuites
I was going to do that. First wanted to narrow down 2-3 different liners and then contact them direct. There is just so much option that I got lost as soon as I started playing around with the different ships.

Just a 4* cruise liner that has some interesting stops and great food. Oh and some activities for kids. Maybe slides in the pools and a decent kids club. Balcony for sure.
With the exception of the slides in the pools I’d say you ought to look at either Celebrity or Holland America.
Old Feb 3, 2018, 8:20 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Randyk47

With the exception of the slides in the pools I’d say you ought to look at either Celebrity or Holland America.
Celebrity is Ł3,000 for a 6 night med cruise in middle of august for 2AD and 1CH. Is that a good deal? This is the offer that I got

The World Is Open. The Sale Is On.
Book an eligible Ocean View Stateroom or above on selected 2018/19 Europe and Abu Dhabi sailings and your partner will pay just half the cruise fare; and you'll both receive free drinks. While 3rd and 4th guests in your stateroom will get 50% off their cruise fare. Offer ends 15 March 2018. T&Cs apply.
Old Feb 3, 2018, 8:58 am

Celebrity is Ł3,000 for a 6 night med cruise in middle of august for 2AD and 1CH. Is that a good deal? This is the offer that I got
That seems about right but hard for me to judge as I don’t what cabin category you’re looking at.
Old Feb 3, 2018, 11:07 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

That seems about right but hard for me to judge as I don’t what cabin category you’re looking at.
balcony class - 3 people. Middle of the ship stateroom. (Celebrity Reflection)
Old Feb 3, 2018, 2:32 pm

balcony class - 3 people. Middle of the ship stateroom. (Celebrity Reflection)
Then you’re right in the going price structure, not an out and out bargain but a fair price with some nice benefits like free drinks.
onlysuites likes this.
Old Feb 18, 2018, 11:39 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I wish there was such a thing as a 7-day luxury Med cruise for $1,800 per person but haven’t seen that in my lifetime. $3,000 to $4,000 per person would be the bare minimum for luxury lines like Silversea and Seabourn and even those fares would be for less attractive itineraries during the shoulder months like May and September.
current med >
2500x2 seabourn
2599x2 seadream

1800x2 / 7 = 514
past med seabourn >
571 - 2010 2011 2013
500 - 2010

Last edited by Kagehitokiri; Feb 18, 2018 at 12:37 pm
Old Feb 19, 2018, 11:37 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Kagehitokiri
current med >
2500x2 seabourn
2599x2 seadream

1800x2 / 7 = 514
past med seabourn >
571 - 2010 2011 2013
500 - 2010

What dates are the $2,500 x 2 for?
Old Feb 20, 2018, 4:51 am

We cruised on EPIC in Med 2 years ago and it was great. We did tours at every port through the line and it went smoothly. We were so tired at the end of the day, we just ate at the buffet and the food was great. The ship is large so a room by the buffet elevator was nice for us.
Old Feb 20, 2018, 10:29 am

What dates are the $2,500 x 2 for?
I see just one cruise at that price and that’s a 7-day cruise out of Civitavecchia on 20 October. Not exactly prime Med time but if potentially cool weather isn’t an issue then that’s a good price for an ocean view cabin. Also may not work if school age kids are involved.
Old Feb 20, 2018, 10:48 am

Originally Posted by Kagehitokiri
current med >
2500x2 seabourn
2599x2 seadream

1800x2 / 7 = 514
past med seabourn >
571 - 2010 2011 2013
500 - 2010
Problem is that OP wants to cruise in August and those fares are for at least Seabourn are for the very extreme end of the Med season. Mid to late October in the Med can be great but then again last year it was cool and rainy.

Last edited by Randyk47; Feb 20, 2018 at 10:54 am
Old Feb 21, 2018, 3:15 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Earned status with AA, DL, SPG, HH, Hyatt, Marriott, Seabourn, NCL, National, Hertz...I miss my bed!
Mid to late October in the Med can be great but then again last year it was cool and rainy.
I did a 10 night Seabourn Med cruise in late October 2016 and it was cold and rainy Friday for over half our time. We missed one port completely and were cut short on another due to weather. Fares may be better but weather won’t be.
Old Feb 21, 2018, 3:21 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Earned status with AA, DL, SPG, HH, Hyatt, Marriott, Seabourn, NCL, National, Hertz...I miss my bed!
Seabourn/Holland America has a dedicated site for travel industry rates. They are normally offered for cruises less than 90 days from departure (i.e. after they’ve maximized full revenue travel) but you’ll save 35-50% off going rates. They have more restrictive qualifying rules for industry travel than some lines do though so getting multiple cabins may be tough.
Old Feb 21, 2018, 7:45 pm

Originally Posted by techgirl

I did a 10 night Seabourn Med cruise in late October 2016 and it was cold and rainy Friday for over half our time. We missed one port completely and were cut short on another due to weather. Fares may be better but weather won’t be.
For sure. I guess luckily our cruise started in Civitavecchia (Rome) in cool and rainy weather but got to say it wasn’t exactly shorts and t-shirt time. Next stop was Naples and still sweaters and wind breakers. Next stop after a couple of sea days was Alexandria, Egypt and it still wasn’t really warm but comfortable. It was an 18-day cruise ending in Dubai in late November. Overall comfortable but never hot. Best was the Med can get really rough that time of year and we had very calm seas.

Last edited by Randyk47; Feb 21, 2018 at 8:03 pm

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.