Reload this Page >

New to Cruises... Need advice

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

New to Cruises... Need advice

Search this Thread

Old Feb 1, 2018, 12:44 pm

Programs: Delta Gold, silver, what yr is it?
Originally Posted by wrp96
Several friends with kids reported their kids enjoyed the kids programs more on HAL and Celebrity that Royal, Carnival, NCL, Princess, etc because typically there are less kids and they get more attention. Of course it all varies by kid.
Many things on a cruise are determined by staff & by other passengers, so I can totally see that having one great counselor, passenger composition, staff ratios etc could be a big deal on a trip. We don't have kids so it's not something I've ever researched - but there are reviews upon reviews on this topic, so read up if it's going to be a component of your cruise!! ( we tend to actively cruise off-season and/or away from "family destinations" to limit the number of kids on board, so....I really have no good advice on this topic other than do your research - but I'd say that for any reason :-)
Old Feb 1, 2018, 2:11 pm

Programs: AA Lifetime Platinum; Amex Plat; Four Seasons; Fairmont; HH; etc.; "Retirees-In-Training"
Originally Posted by wrp96
The outside of the Epic is UGLY!!!! But friends that have sailed her enjoyed their cruises onboard.
We haven't sailed on NCL Epic, but we've read *many* comments, mostly negative (and *very* negative) about the bathroom set-up, so do check that if you are considering the ship.

GC
Old Feb 1, 2018, 2:46 pm

At $1800, you're more in the "mass market" range. Holland and Celebrity are known to be on the upper end of the mass market lines. However, I just learned that there's quite a bit of upselling on Celebrity. I find that uncouth for a line with their claimed image. Accordingly, I'd recommend Princess (their history and culture is of the classic British liner, like a cheaper Cunard) or Disney. Yes, Disney. They occasionally sail the Mediterranean. They have adult only areas. If you've seen their theme park prices, especially compared to other companies, you know they're premium. However, they know how to do the small and luxury details that sets a 4/5 star hotel apart from a new 3 star.

I'm booked on a Norwegian, but I'm sorry, IMO, Carnival and Norwegian are slumming it.

Yes, I would definitely reach our direct with your IATA card.

As a backup, Vacationstogo is a good place to get an overview on price. Cruisecompete.com is good as well.
Old Feb 1, 2018, 7:49 pm

Programs: Delta Plat & Million Miler
Deals

Another vote for cruisecritic here

What month are you looking at?

If you are looking for mid range, Princess can be a good bet. I think they have some nice outside cabins in your price range.
Old Feb 1, 2018, 9:35 pm

First time cruisers should be aware that ships can move front to back and side to side so try to book a cabin mid ships on a lower deck. That placement provides the smoothest ride.
Also be aware that gratuities are not generally included in your fare. Celebrity does offer promotions from time to time that could include gratuities and/or internet and/or onboard credit (OBC). Travel agents often offer additional perks. This applies to each passenger in the cabin.
The Med cruises are very port intensive with costly shore excursions. Use the Ports of Call forums to use recommended tour operators. They can not only access the major sites but do so with fewer passengers so you get to see more in a more comfortable setting.
Absolutely plan on arriving a day, or more, before you sail and heed the advice about booking return flights. Some of the Med airports are almost an hour from a cruise port. Plan on at least three hours preflight at the airport.
Old Feb 1, 2018, 10:41 pm

Programs: Mileage Plus
About middle of the ship lower cabins, that's good advice on minimizing motion which for some people will be an issue, even a seriously unpleasant issue. However, higher decks can have nicer views and cabins at the ends rather than the middle of the ship can be significantly cheaper. So for different folks, different preferences.
Old Feb 1, 2018, 10:52 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: No programs & No Points!!!
Originally Posted by GeezerCouple
We haven't sailed on NCL Epic, but we've read *many* comments, mostly negative (and *very* negative) about the bathroom set-up, so do check that if you are considering the ship.

GC
Bathrooms are small and crap on many ships. Not just NCL.
Old Feb 2, 2018, 4:50 am

Originally Posted by Annalisa12
Yes, but the bathroom sinks on the Epic are in the bedroom.
Old Feb 2, 2018, 4:55 am

Programs: AA EXP, DL Silver, Global Entry
Originally Posted by onlysuites
Wow! Just saw some of the prices so I guess my idea of luxury is around $1,800 for a 7 night cruise around the Med! Any suggestions what ship I should be looking for? Ideally want a sea view cabin and not one of those inner rooms without a view.

Got a quote of $1,700 per AD and $649 per child on NORWEGIAN EPIC ship from a TA But a quick look at CC website suggests this is a horrible ship.
I wish there was such a thing as a 7-day luxury Med cruise for $1,800 per person but haven’t seen that in my lifetime. $3,000 to $4,000 per person would be the bare minimum for luxury lines like Silversea and Seabourn and even those fares would be for less attractive itineraries during the shoulder months like May and September. As others have said you pretty much square in the mass market cruise lines and that’s probably a non-verandah ocean view cabin not in their upper level suite categories. I would also second Holland America and Celebrity recommendations.
Old Feb 2, 2018, 6:08 am

Programs: DL Gold, DL MM 8/22/16!
On Discount Cruises, Last Minute Cruises, Cruise, Cruise Line, Cruise Vacation I can see a Barcelona-Barcelona 7 night May 13 Norwegian Epic per person:

Suite $1122
Balcony $977
Oceanview $977
Inside $734

I think the above are senior rates, since that is what I am and I'd have to unset it. But you get the idea.

I did look up the smallest suite (and that is what you'd get at the above rates). Stateroom: 189 sq.ft., Balcony: 56 sq.ft. Wash basin still in the room.

I agree it isn't a pretty ship, but I enjoyed it, washbasin in the room nonetheless. A 14 night transatlantic. And I had a bottom of the boat inside cabin.

One note - with taxes and tips and such, you do end up paying somewhat more no matter what that initial quote is.

Last edited by Romelle; Feb 2, 2018 at 6:57 am
Old Feb 2, 2018, 6:26 am

Programs: AA Lifetime Platinum; Amex Plat; Four Seasons; Fairmont; HH; etc.; "Retirees-In-Training"
Originally Posted by Annalisa12
Have you read about the bathrooms/llayout on Epic?
A different critter entirely, odd lack of privacy in many ways.
(Many people bring along extra supplies, e.g., shower curtains, to help with privacy.)

It's not a "size matters" situation.

GC
Old Feb 2, 2018, 5:08 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: BA Silver, EY Gold, HH Diamond, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by gretchendz
Another vote for cruisecritic here

What month are you looking at?

If you are looking for mid range, Princess can be a good bet. I think they have some nice outside cabins in your price range.
We are looking at the last week of August for 7 nights or less. We wouldn't mind 5 nights if that was a option. Can depart from anywhere to anywhere in the med as we are based in Europe then.

Some great advice above. Appreciate it.
Old Feb 2, 2018, 7:59 pm

Programs: AA EXP, DL Silver, Global Entry
We are looking at the last week of August for 7 nights or less. We wouldn't mind 5 nights if that was a option. Can depart from anywhere to anywhere in the med as we are based in Europe then.

Some great advice above. Appreciate it.

Oh lord. Peak of the peak season when all of Europe goes on vacation. Truth is 9 to 11 day cruises are more common than 7 day cruises and anything below that are less common than hens’ teeth.
Old Feb 2, 2018, 8:23 pm

OP,
Perhaps one of the European lines might have a 5 night offering. Something out of Athens to the isles would be my first guess. The US carriers will not do a 5 night unless it is a lead up tp a repositioning cruise or inaugural seasonal sailing. That would not affect an August sailing.
Have you spoken to a cruise travel agent? You should. A good travel agent will find the most fitting itinerary and ship and clearly lay out all the costs, obvious and hidden.
The last week of August is going to be pricy in addition to challenging once on shore.
Once again I strongly recommend you arrive at or near your port of embarkation at least a day prior to sailing. I would make the same recommendation for a US based passenger emarking from a US port.
What do you other traveling companions want?
Old Feb 3, 2018, 12:42 am
nnn

Programs: All-Around Kettle
I have never been on a cruise. Ask me about flights and I will give you the low down on everything but know absolutely nothing about cruises. We are 3 couples and looking at a 7 day cruise around the Mediterranean. Two rooms will need to have space for a kids bed (is that possible on a cruise liner?)

- What is the best ship? We are looking at the luxury liners.
- I have a IATA card so is it worth contacting the companies direct for a TA discount?
- Any suggested itineraries?
- What is the best way to book as I have read that discounts can vary hugely.

Any advice would be appreciated.
With three rooms booked, the kids will be free on Crystal Serenity, which will be in the Med in August, under the Crystal Memories program. Truly great experience -- we are going with our kids again this summer. But it's at the high end of the price range.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.