Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Cruises
Reload this Page >

First time cruise. Have picked Celebrity.

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

First time cruise. Have picked Celebrity.

Search this Thread

Old Jan 20, 2018, 2:17 am

Programs: Au: UA, Marriott, Hilton; GE
Originally Posted by Randyk47

Two ships out of the same terminal? That’s unique though Seabourn and Costa are at least both part of the larger Carnival Corporation. The closest we’ve come to that was Port Everglades and two Holland America ships in side by side terminals. There was a bit of confusion and the shore staff were forever checking to make sure people were in the right terminal. Given the somewhat older demographic of Holland America it was actually kind of interesting to watch.
Yes. A bit chaotic getting out of cab, but we quickly spotted Seabourn employees who whisked away our bags and guided us to separate but geographically parallel processing areas. Still, we were exposed to the Costa scrum and that made for an interesting thought exercise (“Are those kids dressed like they are a cheerleading squad going on our ship?”
Old Jan 22, 2018, 2:43 pm

Ship preferences are a funny funny thing. I've been on several of the Celebrity Solstice class ships which Silhouette is part of and enjoyed them a lot. I've read that some cruisers prefer a smaller ship, a wrap-around promenade deck, another set of elevators, or perhaps the glass blowing instead of a restaurant.

I've also been on RCCL's Anthem and Allure. Oasis (/Allure) class is gigantic with plenty of higher energy activities and I felt the upsell was more frequent than Celebrity. Wifi does cost less, though, which is nice. Quantum (/Anthem) class is also built by Meyer Weft shipyards which did the Solstice class and some refer to it as a mini Solstice. There's a bit less outdoor viewing on the lower levels than Solstice. Can't fully speak for Quantum balcony cabin size comparison as I sailed in a solo cabin on Anthem with large angled balcony. Oasis ocean facing balcony cabin was smaller than standard Solstice class balcony cabin.

I wouldn't say either would wow me if I didn't opt-up for dining or a suite with dedicated suite restaurant as the food budget for the main dining room isn't sufficient for a "Wow" factor. I don't mind paying to opt-up for better food and just factor it into my cruise cost as the next step up to premium line (think Y+) for Azamara, Viking Sea, or Oceania costs a good bit more and has fewer (new) ships. Celebrity markets itself as upmarket but I think of it more as a slightly quieter mass market. When I compare standard balcony pricing to the premium ones, Celebrity's balcony pricing (esp. for Caribbean) is more in line with mass market when I account for cabin, dining opt-up, drink packages, and tips.

Last edited by freecia; Jan 22, 2018 at 2:48 pm
Old Jan 24, 2018, 5:50 pm

Programs: Avis President's Club, Global Entry, Hilton/Marriott Gold. No more DL/AA status.
Originally Posted by Sealink
Thanks all. I'm not bothered about paying for premium restaurants, it just looked like EVERY restaurant was premium and the idea of dining in the same place every night OR paying a supplement almost every night was a bit odd.
But believe there are about four restaurants to choose from plus premium.
Welcome back! Note that this is standard for all cruise lines. The buffet and the main dining are included, and everything else is an upcharge. Celebrity and RCCL even offer optional supplements on the main dining menu now, which I think is obnoxious.

We have done two Celebrity and two RCCL cruises and much preferred Celebrity and will sail with them again this year. So for your first, I think you picked a nice one!
Old Jan 25, 2018, 2:13 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

"The buffet and the main dining are included, and everything else is an upcharge. Celebrity and RCCL even offer optional supplements on the main dining menu now, which I think is obnoxious." sounds reasonable to me. 10 bucks add on for a quality prime steak properly cooked is a deal. the quality and prep are better than what i would get in DC in a brand name steak house. so is the service.

the menu choices are not that bad, but the steak is great. try one on me.

lets not talk about the wine prices. royal runs on wine profits.
Sealink likes this.
Old Jan 31, 2018, 2:06 pm

The upsell is barely noticeable, if at all, on some cruise lines. Disney for sure. The main dining rooms are sort of events in and of themselves so most people don't want to leave the main dining rooms and Disney acknowledges it. Their specialty dining rooms are more for the few guests who really want a more adult meal and to please those guests rather than to make a ton of extra money. They can easily make more money with some upcharge in the main dining room. The upsell isn't very high on Princess either.
Old Feb 1, 2018, 1:39 am

Programs: Avis President's Club, Global Entry, Hilton/Marriott Gold. No more DL/AA status.
Originally Posted by codex57
The upsell is barely noticeable, if at all, on some cruise lines. Disney for sure. The main dining rooms are sort of events in and of themselves so most people don't want to leave the main dining rooms and Disney acknowledges it. Their specialty dining rooms are more for the few guests who really want a more adult meal and to please those guests rather than to make a ton of extra money. They can easily make more money with some upcharge in the main dining room. The upsell isn't very high on Princess either.
I haven't tried Disney or Princess (the latter is on my radar). Celebrity has people standing outside the buffet every afternoon hawking the specialty restaurants and usually offering discounts. One night in the MDR the maitre'd came by and offered us 20% off QSine. I countered at 30% (having read cruise critic) and it was accepted.
Old Feb 1, 2018, 12:40 pm

Originally Posted by Gig103
I haven't tried Disney or Princess (the latter is on my radar). Celebrity has people standing outside the buffet every afternoon hawking the specialty restaurants and usually offering discounts. One night in the MDR the maitre'd came by and offered us 20% off QSine. I countered at 30% (having read cruise critic) and it was accepted.
Whoah! That's not what I would have expected of a higher end line like Celebrity. I don't even think the cheapy lines like Carnival or Norwegian have a guy offering discounts off the specialty restaurants. Well, they just make the free dining rooms' food so bad, people go more out of desperation.
Old Feb 5, 2018, 9:15 am

Programs: Au: UA, Marriott, Hilton; GE
Originally Posted by codex57
Whoah! That's not what I would have expected of a higher end line like Celebrity.
That is standard operating procedure at Celebrity.
Old Feb 10, 2018, 9:04 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Mucci, BA Bronze, Hilton Gold
I would not call Celebrity High End.
Old Feb 13, 2018, 1:57 pm

Originally Posted by Sealink
I would not call Celebrity High End.
"Higher end" of the mainstream lines. By "mainstream", I'd say, in terms of the average US (not sure how the lines are marketed in other countries) vacationer's mind, they really just consider cruises amongst Carnival, Norwegian, Royal Caribbean, Princess, Disney, Holland, and Celebrity. Cunard is small enough and not well known enough that I wouldn't call them "mainstream".

I'd say this guy's list is pretty accurate, although I'd say Royal Caribbean bleeds into the Premium category. They sorta straddle the line between Mass Market and Premium along with Princess.
http://www.kevinderntravel.com/blog/2016/1/7/intro-to-cruise-line-categories

Mass Market
Carnival
Norwegian
Royal Caribbean

Overview
"Massive ships that offer something for just about everyone, from multiple pools to high-energy shows to bingo. Ideal for families, these cruise lines offer some of the most extensive programs for children and teens."
(Fodor's)

Premium
Holland America
Celebrity
Princess
Cunard
Disney
Azamara
Oceania

"Ships tend to be newer midsize to large vessels that carry fewer passengers than mainstream ships and have a more spacious feel. Even the onboard decor may be a bit more glamorous and subtle than on a mainstream line." (Fodor's)

Luxury
Seabourn
Crystal
Regent Seven Seas
Silversea
Seadream

Luxury cruises offer smaller ships, more interesting ports, better service, higher quality food, more inclusions, and larger cabins.
Sealink likes this.

Last edited by codex57; Feb 13, 2018 at 2:00 pm Reason: Forum's formatting is weird

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.