Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Cruises
Reload this Page >

Galapagos on points/miles (including cruise potentially)?

Old Dec 22, 17, 4:52 pm
Original Poster

Please move if wrong forum.

I've always wanted to go to the Galapagos, but the prohibitive cost of the cruises always kept me away. I understand that to visit the Galapagos, you don't NEED to do a cruise, but that it is the best way to see all the islands have to offer.

Are there any programs (e.g., UR) that have some kind of back door way of paying for one of these 8 day Galapagos cruises with points/miles rather than cold hard dollars? Thanks!
Old Dec 22, 17, 9:01 pm

Originally Posted by FrequentFlyer9000 View Post
Please move if wrong forum.

I've always wanted to go to the Galapagos, but the prohibitive cost of the cruises always kept me away. I understand that to visit the Galapagos, you don't NEED to do a cruise, but that it is the best way to see all the islands have to offer.

Are there any programs (e.g., UR) that have some kind of back door way of paying for one of these 8 day Galapagos cruises with points/miles rather than cold hard dollars? Thanks!
Yes. I just redeemed UR points for $17,500 credit toward a Galapagos cruise booked with Chase travel.
Old Dec 23, 17, 12:16 pm

Programs: AA Gold. UA Silver, Marriott Gold, Hilton Diamond, Hyatt (Lifetime Diamond downgraded to Explorist)
You can transfer the US points to United and redeem them for a cruise but if you think they're expensive in cash wait until you see how many miles are required.
Old Dec 29, 17, 8:41 am

Programs: WN A-list., Marriott Plat, National EX, UA Silver
Originally Posted by wetsand View Post
Yes. I just redeemed UR points for $17,500 credit toward a Galapagos cruise booked with Chase travel.
So to redeem UR points it can only be done over the phone. Is there any way to view the the cruise ship options online before I call?
Old Jan 1, 18, 12:09 pm

Originally Posted by flyguy6 View Post
So to redeem UR points it can only be done over the phone. Is there any way to view the the cruise ship options online before I call?
What cruise do you you want to take? Know the information on it, the dates, and the cost the cruise company is charging for it. Call Chase travel to book it with your points or a portion of it with your points.
Depending on the card you have CSP or CSR your points are worth 25 to 50% more when redeeming for travel.
Old Jan 2, 18, 5:15 am

Programs: WN A-list., Marriott Plat, National EX, UA Silver
Originally Posted by wetsand View Post
What cruise do you you want to take? Know the information on it, the dates, and the cost the cruise company is charging for it. Call Chase travel to book it with your points or a portion of it with your points.
Depending on the card you have CSP or CSR your points are worth 25 to 50% more when redeeming for travel.
I was just starting to look are potential cruise option for 2018. I lookup a few options and call Chase so I can get a ball park on how many points I will need. I have CSR.
Old Jan 3, 18, 10:17 am
Moderator: American AAdvantage, TAP, Mexico, Technical Support and Feedback, and The Suggestion Box

Programs: AA LT Plat; HH LT Diamond, Maître-plongeur des Muccis
I’ve been to the Galápagos three times (naturalist cruises and a live aboard dive boat). Select your cruise carefully. (The first cruise we were due to be on, the boat caught fire at sea - that got us to be more cautious, though fortunately the fire occurred months before we were due to board. The second boat was okay, but it brilliant - air conditioners were normal Land window hung devices which, though new, were already rusting and preparing for death.)

There is no safety-tasked organization, like Transport Canada or US Coast Guard, vetting the boats.

Be aware sime cruises are scams - a seven day cruise can be three and four day cruises sold together - you are visiting Islands close to your port of embarkation and wasting a day at that port in the middle.

Be aware different sized ships may be destination-limited. Some Islands are limited to small groups - the larger boats can’t stop there.

Be aware some boats have basic naturalist guides, others have u ivetsity trained naturalist guides. Your experience will be far better with the latter.

My advice is go for a cruise with sixteen or fewer passengers, and one sufficiently long you will see some of the westernmost Islands.

Unfortunately, Barry Boyce stopped publishing his excellent Guide to the Galápagos; he rated boars and agencies, and offered a huge resource to people interested in this unique, normally once in a lifetime, experience.

But do some preparation. Bradt, Moon, Lonely Planet, etc. do publish guides, and a natural history guide (Fitter and Fitter, Jackson, etc.) is indispensable to get the most of your fauna encounters.
squeakr and StartinSanDiego like this.
Old Jan 3, 18, 11:25 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend, Moderator, Information Desk, Ambassador, Alaska Airlines
Hilton Contributor BadgeIHG Contributor Badge

Programs: AS MVP Gold75K, AS 1MM, Maika`i Card, AGR, HH Gold, Hertz PC, Marriott LTG, SPG Gold, CO, 7H, BA, 8E
Please follow the redirect as we send this to our Cruise forum.

~beckoa, co-moderator Information Desk

Search this Thread
Search Engine: