Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Cruises
Reload this Page >

Monaco Grand Prix

Monaco Grand Prix

Old Nov 18, 17, 11:42 am
  #1  
Original Poster
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: SFO/SMF
Programs: Holder of six "persona non-grata" awards
Posts: 1,903
Question Monaco Grand Prix

Has anyone ever cruised into Monte Carlo and been able to view the Grand Prix from onboard ship, or must you purchase grandstand seats? Azamara seems to anchor every race Satuday/Sunday and even adverises this as a "Grand Prix" cruise. Would be interested if anyone here has actually done this particular Azamara itinerary.

TIA
fozziedoggie is offline  
Old Nov 18, 17, 3:24 pm
  #2  
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: HNL
Programs: Au: UA, Marriott, Hilton; Ex-HA Pt (now not), GE
Posts: 5,514
Originally Posted by fozziedoggie View Post
Has anyone ever cruised into Monte Carlo and been able to view the Grand Prix from onboard ship, or must you purchase grandstand seats? Azamara seems to anchor every race Satuday/Sunday and even adverises this as a "Grand Prix" cruise. Would be interested if anyone here has actually done this particular Azamara itinerary.

TIA
Last year our Seabourn ship anchored in Monte Carlo a day or two before it started. Our bus driver who brought us on a tour and to Nice airport, briefly stopped at the starting gate, and then jolted forward Our anchoring point was very close to the starting line, and I cannot believe that Azamara would be using that dock on the day of the event.

Be warned: The entire city is a zoo at this time. Make sure that you have Azamara-hired transportation to take you where you want to go. One is unlikely to find reliable transportation on their own.
747FC is offline  
Old Nov 18, 17, 10:50 pm
  #3  
Original Poster
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: SFO/SMF
Programs: Holder of six "persona non-grata" awards
Posts: 1,903
Originally Posted by 747FC View Post
Last year our Seabourn ship anchored in Monte Carlo a day or two before it started. Our bus driver who brought us on a tour and to Nice airport, briefly stopped at the starting gate, and then jolted forward Our anchoring point was very close to the starting line, and I cannot believe that Azamara would be using that dock on the day of the event.

Be warned: The entire city is a zoo at this time. Make sure that you have Azamara-hired transportation to take you where you want to go. One is unlikely to find reliable transportation on their own.
Thank you 747FC; will definitely use Azamara's contracted vendors if we decide to go.
fozziedoggie is offline  
Old Aug 23, 19, 12:44 pm
  #4  
Original Poster
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: SFO/SMF
Programs: Holder of six "persona non-grata" awards
Posts: 1,903
Reviving my original post

Would really like to hear from anyone having first-hand experience of docking in Monte Carlo on race day. Specifically, can you race watch from the marina on the top deck of a cruise ship? Considering both Regent and Silver Sea, assuming both will be anchored away from the dock. I'm most interested in determining if I can avoid having to spend for a separate grandstand excursion.

Thanks all.
fozziedoggie is offline  
Old Aug 23, 19, 2:55 pm
  #5  
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: MEM
Posts: 593
CruiseCritic

Originally Posted by fozziedoggie View Post
Reviving my original post

Would really like to hear from anyone having first-hand experience of docking in Monte Carlo on race day. Specifically, can you race watch from the marina on the top deck of a cruise ship? Considering both Regent and Silver Sea, assuming both will be anchored away from the dock. I'm most interested in determining if I can avoid having to spend for a separate grandstand excursion.

Thanks all.


I bet if you post this question on the Ports of Call section on CruiseCritic (Monaco) you will get answers from a variety of cruises who have been there/done that on a few of the lines. I too have looked at possibly doing one of these cruises.I think I looked for fun at Silversea or Crystal? this year. They had a VIP package for 25K ( in addition to the cruise). I've been to Silverstone and Canada. It would be a one-in-a-lifetime race. I suspect there are nicer/better races to view. Belgium? Spain? I'd like to do a few more.
stan1162 is offline  
Old Aug 23, 19, 3:17 pm
  #6  
Original Poster
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: SFO/SMF
Programs: Holder of six "persona non-grata" awards
Posts: 1,903
Thanks stan1162, I will investigate Cruise Critic.
fozziedoggie is offline  
Old Sep 17, 19, 7:22 am
  #7  
 
Join Date: Aug 2000
Location: Roseburg, OR
Posts: 253
No view from ship

We were in Monte Carlo last year for Gran Prix on Crystal Serenity. We could not see anything from the ship or from the streets. They do a good job of blocking views for those that do not have a ticket! We had a blast though. Lots going on. It was a long walk back to ship though because many streets were closed.
sgosline is offline  
Old Sep 17, 19, 9:05 am
  #8  
Original Poster
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: SFO/SMF
Programs: Holder of six "persona non-grata" awards
Posts: 1,903
Thank you, looks like Windstar may be the way to go; included in the cruise is GP access/viewing.
fozziedoggie is offline  

Thread Tools
Search this Thread
Search Engine: