Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Quick advice for a first time cruiser?

Search this Thread

Old Jun 9, 2017, 9:20 am

Programs: Au: UA, Marriott, Hilton; GE
Originally Posted by Hoyaheel
On the other hand - I am looking forward to doing a TATL repositioning cruise in the future - preferably on a luxury line (repo cruises tend to have the cheapest per diem rates - might be the only way I get to try a luxury line^) Lots of time to enjoy that luxury. But we also like small ships, and TATLs on the small ships take a long time - 10 days without ports might be too much for me. We'll see!
Try a x-DBX cruise to the Med on a luxury line. Last year we did a 20-day cruise that was about 66% less expensive than what we are paying per day on a Northern Europe cruise. Great way to experience a luxury line.
Old Jun 9, 2017, 9:28 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Originally Posted by 747FC
Try a x-DBX cruise to the Med on a luxury line. Last year we did a 20-day cruise that was about 66% less expensive than what we are paying per day on a Northern Europe cruise. Great way to experience a luxury line.
Do these route past Somalia and Yemen or go around the tip of South Africa? For twenty days, I would assume the latter. Did it stop in any ports along the way?
Old Jun 9, 2017, 10:30 am

Programs: Delta Gold, silver, what yr is it?
That doesn't appeal at the moment but a good reminder that "good deals" can pop up all over the place when you're flexible! (part of the issue for me is that a port-intensive cruise is not a relaxing vacation for me - it's why we don't cruise often - I'd prefer to go to one place and enjoy for a few days ;-) But when traveling far, that's not necessarily my "best" use of time.....)
Old Jun 9, 2017, 10:40 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA
A friend did Windstar's repo from Aruba to Tenerife this year, and I was highly jealous. Basically the ship was at less than half capacity and the attention from crew was stellar. It was a 14 night repo I believe, and they did make an unexpected stop in Barbados due to a tropical storm popping up unexpectedly. She sent pictures showing herself as the only one on the pool deck on a sunny day at noon.

I started with a 4 night cruise, then went to 7 nights. Now, I prefer much longer cruises, but will occasionally go back for a 3-7 night just for a quick fix. I love sea days for relaxing, and even frequently turn visits to ports I've visited previously into "port day sea days."

But with everything it's going to be about personality. I have a few friends I would never recommend take a cruise. Others I would send to Carnival for a 4-5 night cruise. And yet others I'm going to recommend a longer cruise on Silver Seas. It's all about what you look for in a vacation.
Old Jun 9, 2017, 10:45 am

Originally Posted by wrp96
But with everything it's going to be about personality. I have a few friends I would never recommend take a cruise. Others I would send to Carnival for a 4-5 night cruise. And yet others I'm going to recommend a longer cruise on Silver Seas. It's all about what you look for in a vacation.
That point of view is why this is a great "travel" website! So many people on other sites are like my in-laws - if they have a good time, they assume everyone else will just love the same thing. Not true!
Old Jun 9, 2017, 10:53 am

Programs: AA EXP, DL Silver, Global Entry
Originally Posted by Hoyaheel
On the other hand - I am looking forward to doing a TATL repositioning cruise in the future - preferably on a luxury line (repo cruises tend to have the cheapest per diem rates - might be the only way I get to try a luxury line^) Lots of time to enjoy that luxury. But we also like small ships, and TATLs on the small ships take a long time - 10 days without ports might be too much for me. We'll see!
We might feel differently in the future. Mrs K is a senior executive and while she gets what might be considered ample vacation time taking it in large chunks is problematic. Once she retires in five or so years we won't be as constrainted.
Old Jun 9, 2017, 10:56 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA
Originally Posted by Randyk47
We might feel differently in the future. Mrs K is a senior executive and while she gets what might be considered ample vacation time taking it in large chunks is problematic. Once she retires in five or so years we won't be as constrainted.
It is very possible. When I went on my first transatlantic, my traveling companion had an issue with the total length of the vacation and the number of sea days in a row, and ours was unusual in that we only had a maximum 3.5 sea days in a row.

We just did another, more traditional transatlantic together last fall (one longer than the first one even), and she was completely fine, in fact wished it was longer, with even more sea days. Between the two she went from working full time to being retired, and the pace of her life completely changed.
Old Jun 9, 2017, 11:11 am

Programs: Au: UA, Marriott, Hilton; GE
Originally Posted by MSPeconomist
Do these route past Somalia and Yemen or go around the tip of South Africa? For twenty days, I would assume the latter. Did it stop in any ports along the way?
mine was a 20-day DXB-Monte Carlo, with stops in Qatar, Oman, Jordan, Israel and Rome. Special Forces contractors on board while cruising near Yemen and Somalia.
Old Jun 9, 2017, 1:24 pm

Originally Posted by Randyk47
We might feel differently in the future. Mrs K is a senior executive and while she gets what might be considered ample vacation time taking it in large chunks is problematic. Once she retires in five or so years we won't be as constrained.
Understood - we're both still working (and, as Americans, that means 4 weeks a year for me? Husband owns his own small business and couldn't be away for that long a stretch. We did 21 days away this past fall and it was too much - Asia cruise, pre & post, travel time etc)

There's a Princess (I think?) 60 day around South America that looks so interesting! I don't think I could do 100+ days of a World Cruise (never say never ;-) but I might be able to do 60 days - esp since I've never been to South America (well, except the Cartagena, Colombia on a Panama Canal cruise...) I don't really want to be on that ship (I think it's Island, so bigger than we like - we prefer to stay under 1000) but it would be more affordable than 2 months on Silversea, for sure
Old Jun 9, 2017, 10:32 pm

Take a couple of highlighter pens to mark activities that interest you on the "daily ship paper'/'patter'. and in a pinch as a BINGO marker (paper game board.)

The cabin walls probably are metal and a few magnets can help keep your schedules tacked up for viewing.

Relax, enjoy your family time together & apart, pace yourselves as to how many activities to try, and enjoy food & drink in moderation.

Do a pre cruise budget plan to try to avoid extravagant impulse buying or gambling.

Happy cruising!
Old Jun 10, 2017, 5:37 am
Original Poster

Programs: MR Plat Premier, IHG Spire, Hilton Diamond, Southwest CP
Originally Posted by fromthewing1972
Great choice. I recently traveled to Labadee and it was absolutely beautiful. Definitely my favorite port in the Caribbean.
What did you do when you were there? Anything special I don't want to miss?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.