Best Months for Alaska Cruise

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Best Months for Alaska Cruise

Search this Thread

Old Apr 18, 2017, 4:13 pm

Programs: IHG Platinum, HHonors Gold, DL Gold, Hyatt Discoverist
Depending on what you want to do, I also recommend renting a car for the day in Ketchikan and Juneau. You can do and see many of the same things offered as shore excursions, but on your own timetable.

That's what I did last year from a different HAL ship, the Volendam.

Are you familiar with the site cruisecritic.com? They have a cruising forum that's (almost!) as great as the flyertalk forum.
Old Apr 18, 2017, 4:19 pm

Programs: AA gold, DL Gold, HHonors Diamond, Hyatt Explorist, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by 12Mermaids
Depending on what you want to do, I also recommend renting a car for the day in Ketchikan and Juneau. You can do and see many of the same things offered as shore excursions, but on your own timetable.
We are going mid-June. What places to see do you recommend if we rent a car in Ketchikan? I found info on Juneau and Skagway but not Ketchikan. Thanks!
Old Apr 18, 2017, 4:40 pm

Programs: IHG Platinum, HHonors Gold, DL Gold, Hyatt Discoverist
Do you like hiking? Settler's Cove recreation area is north on Tongass Highway. Easy walks and interesting hikes. Interested in native Alaskan culture? Totem Bight state park is just a few minutes from the pier. South of town (I'll have to look at my notes) I ran across an inlet full of sea lions. While I was there taking photos, a bear came from further upstream. This was all during September, so your wildlife mileage may vary.

There's plenty to do on foot, though, so it's not like a car is necessary.

Also, there's scuba diving, but i think it has to be arranged through the ship. Finally, there are tours of the Misty Fjords, which would be beautiful, but would use up all of your 8 hours in port, iirc.
Old Apr 18, 2017, 4:54 pm

Programs: AA gold, DL Gold, HHonors Diamond, Hyatt Explorist, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by 12Mermaids
Do you like hiking? Settler's Cove recreation area is north on Tongass Highway. Easy walks and interesting hikes. Interested in native Alaskan culture? Totem Bight state park is just a few minutes from the pier. South of town (I'll have to look at my notes) I ran across an inlet full of sea lions. While I was there taking photos, a bear came from further upstream. This was all during September, so your wildlife mileage may vary.

There's plenty to do on foot, though, so it's not like a car is necessary.

Also, there's scuba diving, but i think it has to be arranged through the ship. Finally, there are tours of the Misty Fjords, which would be beautiful, but would use up all of your 8 hours in port, iirc.
We are interested in hiking, nature, photography. We are going with a family member who is 80 y.o. so keeping it low-key. Settler's cove and the inlet sound amazing. Would be interested in your notes if you find them. Thanks for the tips!!

Last edited by PilgrimsProgress; Apr 18, 2017 at 5:06 pm
Old Apr 21, 2017, 2:16 am

Alaska When to Visit

Originally Posted by hhoope01
The wife and I are looking at an Alaska cruise in 2018 for our 30th anniversary. Is there really a big difference in experience between going in May versus late June or July? Just wondering if we should limit our search or if going earlier in the season isn't a big deal?
if you are looking to save your money on booking you cruise, your best bet is to book at the end of August and in September. Most people will argue that the best weather you will find in the inside passage is during the summer months of June and July but in the last three years south east Alaska has seen more sun in September than in June and July combined. Since this is more at the end of the Alaska cruise season you will save at least $200 per person, and you will find great souvenir prices in every port of call. Booking your cruise at the right time of the year should always be in the back of your mind when you decide where to go, but in the case of Alaska you will more than likely have a rainy day during your cruise.

Last edited by l etoile; Apr 21, 2017 at 6:52 am Reason: Commercial link removed by moderator
Old Apr 21, 2017, 10:53 am

Programs: Au: UA, Marriott, Hilton; GE
Originally Posted by solitercruiser
Most people will argue that the best weather you will find in the inside passage is during the summer months of June and July but in the last three years south east Alaska has seen more sun in September than in June and July combined.
Welcome to FT, solitercruiser!

Regarding weather, for our first Alaska cruise, we had been warned that going in September could result in dicey weather. However, when we took this cruise around four years ago, it turned out that September was the absolutely best weather they had for the entire season. We has no rain at all , while they had a raining summer all year long.
Old May 29, 2017, 11:59 am

I like the end of May and first of June - historically this is a "dry time" for Alaska. Mid-September and on can have volatile weather in Alaska.

There are activities that have certain months that are better. Denali - go after June 1st. Bears are best mid-July and August. Dog mushing on a glacier, before mid-August, etc..
Old Jun 4, 2017, 7:18 pm
Aman 10+ BadgeMandarin Oriental Contributor Badge

Programs: TPPS, UA, EK ...; Marriott BONVOY , HH, GP, GC..
Originally Posted by Starfish
I like the end of May and first of June - historically this is a "dry time" for Alaska. Mid-September and on can have volatile weather in Alaska.

There are activities that have certain months that are better. Denali - go after June 1st. Bears are best mid-July and August. Dog mushing on a glacier, before mid-August, etc..
Seems a good time for Alaska about this time - June .
On Oceania ' s M . S . Regatta now . Having mostly lovely weather .
Clear at Hubbard Glacier today .

Having a wonderful time !

Any FTers on board ?

Welcome to FT , solitercruiser !
Old Jun 4, 2017, 7:27 pm
Moderator, Marriott Bonvoy & FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: United Silver; AA Plat/2MM; Marriott LT Titanium; Hilton Gold
I'm definitely jealous. This time next year we will be on our cruise.

We talked with a couple of friends that have been heading up to Alaska for years (though they don't cruise.) They rent an RV out of Anchorage and drive where they want (they are big-time photographers). So we are now thinking about renting an RV and spend about 5-7 days driving through parts of Alaska rather than staying in hotels in various places.
Old Jun 5, 2017, 9:39 am

Programs: Delta Gold, silver, what yr is it?
My in-laws did an RV trip a few years back and loved it. I hate camping & driving on vacation, so I'm not going to do it either, but I agree it's a great way to see the state! When we did a cruise (eek, so long ago -2007) we flew to Fairbanks and rented a car, stayed there a couple days then visited family who were in Delta Junction for 3 more days, then drove to Anchorage. We took the "long" route (down 4, not through Denali) and we saw so much wildlife. Amazingly so! More than people who did the pre-cruise trip up to Denali on the train saw. And that was just 6 hours on the road. Imagine a week! (it was NOT cheap doing a one-way rental car, either - just barely cheaper than 2 plane tickets Fairbanks-Anchorage - but we did want to see a little of the interior of the state so it made sense)
Old Jun 13, 2017, 7:32 pm

Originally Posted by FlyerEC
Seems a good time for Alaska about this time - June .
On Oceania ' s M . S . Regatta now . Having mostly lovely weather .
Clear at Hubbard Glacier today .

Having a wonderful time !

Any FTers on board ?

Welcome to FT , solitercruiser !
Glad you are loving Alaska!
Old Jun 23, 2017, 9:00 am

I cruised a few years back in late June, early July. The weather was a mix of everything (rain, sunshine, fog) except for snow. But, the temperature overall was great. Jeans and sweatshirts or jackets on the cooler days, and T-shirts on the warmer, sunnier days.

The scenery is incredible, maybe not as much snow as usual, but still worth it. If you're outdoorsy or love photography, Alaska won't disappoint!
Old Jun 25, 2017, 5:08 pm
Aman 10+ BadgeMandarin Oriental Contributor Badge

Programs: TPPS, UA, EK ...; Marriott BONVOY , HH, GP, GC..
Welcome to FT BlueSkies86 !

Jet lagging after a wonderful cruise / trip ..

We had brilliant weather .. some days saw Bermudas / shorts on quite a few .
Pool was pretty well used .

Was good to be back in Alaska after more than 30 years !
Relieved that the ice shields we flew over & others we sailed past still there .

Saw pods of humpbacks a few times too
Old Jun 25, 2017, 5:52 pm

I too am looking at an Alaskan Cruise late August/beg September. AAA has good incentives (2 dinners and a $50 credit), it is following the $ amount as other sites for cabins. Also looked at United for booking but found their cruise site is 3rd party (I think). This is new to me, I usually book my own land travel, does an agent really make that much of a difference?
Old Jul 11, 2017, 7:18 am

Originally Posted by hhoope01
The wife and I are looking at an Alaska cruise in 2018 for our 30th anniversary. Is there really a big difference in experience between going in May versus late June or July? Just wondering if we should limit our search or if going earlier in the season isn't a big deal?
Hi
Snap, it's our 30th as well next August and we just booked HAL 7 night Vancouver return for next August, then taking the Via Rail sleeper train to Toronto and then Niagria Falls for a few nights. All in BA first hopefully when it's available to book..

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.