Wiki Posts
Search

best food for top half dozen cruise boats

Search this Thread

Old Nov 6, 2016, 10:14 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

best food for top half dozen cruise boats

we have done a cruise. 10 days balt to halifax and return. wife loved it. i thought it "OK". since i have lost most of my ability to walk, i think i will be taking more boat trips.

which of the cruise companies are considered to have the better food? say the top half dozen. this celebrity chief stuff does not impress me. too many of them, and i presume name brand guy is on the boat about twice a year.
Old Nov 6, 2016, 10:31 am

Programs: Au: UA, Marriott, Hilton; GE
Originally Posted by slawecki
we have done a cruise. 10 days balt to halifax and return. wife loved it. i thought it "OK". since i have lost most of my ability to walk, i think i will be taking more boat trips.

which of the cruise companies are considered to have the better food? say the top half dozen. this celebrity chief stuff does not impress me. too many of them, and i presume name brand guy is on the boat about twice a year.
The best option really depends on your price point. Are you interested in high-end (Crystal, Seabourn, etc) or mass-market?
Old Nov 9, 2016, 10:37 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

re ms europa >

hl-cruises.com/cruisefinder/EUR1716

at one point >

Originally Posted by Kagehitokiri
Dieter Müller is currently scheduled to be on 14 of the next 28 itineraries through mar 2015. the restaurant seats 26.
at another point - "Muller is on board for 70 days of the year."

wonder how seadream is these days, new crystal espirit is actually much smaller

when economy was really down, christina o megayacht took some individual reservations, with dinner by Don Alfonso 1890 (2 michelin star)

Last edited by Kagehitokiri; Nov 9, 2016 at 10:43 am
Old Nov 10, 2016, 2:51 pm

I had dinner last night on the Seabourn Quest - a great ship by the way which I wholeheartedly recommend. Only weak point was dinner at The Grill, supervised by Thomas Keller, he of The French Laundry. It was awful and nothing like as good as the food in The Colonnade, the ship's informal restaurant.

You must remember that a cruise ship does not have daily access to the sort of fresh produce that a proper restaurant enjoys. You cannot replicate high-end Michelin food on a ship, apart from fancy presentation and fawning service.
Old Nov 10, 2016, 5:23 pm

Programs: Au: UA, Marriott, Hilton; GE
Originally Posted by Pausanias
I had dinner last night on the Seabourn Quest - a great ship by the way which I wholeheartedly recommend. Only weak point was dinner at The Grill, supervised by Thomas Keller, he of The French Laundry. It was awful and nothing like as good as the food in The Colonnade, the ship's informal restaurant.

You must remember that a cruise ship does not have daily access to the sort of fresh produce that a proper restaurant enjoys. You cannot replicate high-end Michelin food on a ship, apart from fancy presentation and fawning service.
TK was not on board, was he?
Old Nov 11, 2016, 1:31 am

Originally Posted by 747FC
TK was not on board, was he?
I don't think so.
Old Nov 13, 2016, 8:47 am

Originally Posted by slawecki

"Best" is a matter of personal opinion, especially regarding food. Not just on expectations of quality, but on style of food. My last cruise, I enjoyed wonderful congee and smoked fish for breakfast every day, but others would have thought it horrible....for them, they would have rated their breakfast food by the quality of the bacon and eggs.

The best food I've had on a cruise ship has been on Crystal, but I know some who've said Seabourn, and others who've said the Queen's Grill on Cunard.
Old Nov 13, 2016, 9:44 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: FB Silver going for Gold
Originally Posted by Calliopeflyer
My last cruise, I enjoyed wonderful congee and smoked fish for breakfast every day,
Enquiring minds would like to now which line and where? One of the lines now servicing the east asian market?
Old Nov 13, 2016, 12:53 pm

Originally Posted by YVR Cockroach
Enquiring minds would like to now which line and where? One of the lines now servicing the east asian market?
On Crystal, which is based in the US but has Asian owners (at the time Japanese, now Chinese). I was on a San Diego to Auckland voyage. I understand they used to have an off-the-menu full Japanese breakfast available in the MDR, but I prefer to breakfast outside on the Lido deck. I don't know if they still offer it, since the ownership change.
Old Nov 13, 2016, 7:07 pm
Original Member

Programs: AS, UA, HY, Hil, Merr
Regent 7 Seas
Old Nov 14, 2016, 9:59 am

We sail Regent now but the one time we did Crystal in the Med they had lots of Asian food for breakfast. Probably other times as well but we didn't notice.
Old Nov 17, 2016, 3:58 pm
Aman 10+ BadgeMandarin Oriental Contributor Badge

Programs: TPPS, UA, EK ...; Marriott BONVOY , HH, GP, GC..
We & our " Cruisemates " choose our ships by food & size 😉
It has mainly been Oceania when we are together .

With a range of restaurants to choose from , we are not only somewhat spoilt for choice but also assured of decent quality :-:
And because it is small , meal times are more or less genteel .
The ones we have been on had very few children & they , thankfully , were well behaved - considering one was over CHRISTmas & New Years .
Looking forward to our next in May / June
Old Dec 1, 2016, 11:06 pm

Programs: Hilton LTD, Hyatt Glob, Marriott LTTE, AA LTP, Avis PC, National EE, Seabourn DE
Originally Posted by Kagehitokiri
re ms europa >

hl-cruises.com/cruisefinder/EUR1716

at one point >

at another point - "Muller is on board for 70 days of the year."

wonder how seadream is these days, new crystal espirit is actually much smaller

when economy was really down, christina o megayacht took some individual reservations, with dinner by Don Alfonso 1890 (2 michelin star)
Please tell me what your post has to do with the time of day, or the OP's question.

I'm slightly curious what line the OP was on. Without knowing, why offer suggestions? Food is soooo subjective and such a wide range of cruise options......I'll opt out of giving my opinion for now. Not many will be boarding Europa anytime soon.
Old Dec 2, 2016, 8:33 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

from link i posted - "famous Michelin-starred chefs invite you to try their creations at various chef’s stations."

id think there are celebrity chef things/'festivals' on the big cruiselines, but not necessarily michelin/etc

seadream was very well regarded

there are posts here recommending muller on europa
Old Dec 4, 2016, 12:17 am
Accor Contributor Badge

Programs: AS MVPG,
I love the Nobu restaurant on Crystal. If you are in a penthouse or above your butler will deliver it as room service. Nothing like some of the world's greatest sushi delivered to you. I love Crystal.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.