Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Cruises
Reload this Page >

Making Reservation with cuise line; Passing to TA

Making Reservation with cuise line; Passing to TA

Reply

Old Sep 9, 16, 12:52 am
  #1  
Original Poster
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: HNL
Programs: Pt: UA; Au: AA, Marriott, Hilton; Ex-HA Pt (now not), GE
Posts: 4,961
Making Reservation with cuise line; Passing to TA

All my cruising history has had me booking directly with the cruise line. From many of you, I have learned that there can be significant financial benefits from booking with the right TA.

I have a multi-part question here, and would appreciate all of your learned advice:

Situation

I have a 5% future cruise discount (FCD) on Seabourn, and yesterday I initiated a reservation (I placed it on hold). I have a few days to make my first down payment, and apply the FCD.

1. Can I get this FCD as well as transfer the reservation to some great TA, who would also provide a significant benefit?

2. What kind of benefit might be expected in this case?

3. How long might I have to make this transfer to the TA?

4. Any recommendations for a TA?

Many thanks!
747FC is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Sep 9, 16, 1:23 pm
  #2  
FlyerTalk Evangelist
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: IAD/DCA
Posts: 31,510
for example hotel reservations can be "taken over" by agent

virtuoso agents have published benefits for seabourn etc
Kagehitokiri is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Sep 10, 16, 6:42 am
  #3  
 
Join Date: May 2011
Location: San Antonio, TX
Programs: AA EXP, DL Silver, Global Entry
Posts: 1,481
Originally Posted by 747FC View Post
All my cruising history has had me booking directly with the cruise line. From many of you, I have learned that there can be significant financial benefits from booking with the right TA.

I have a multi-part question here, and would appreciate all of your learned advice:

Situation

I have a 5% future cruise discount (FCD) on Seabourn, and yesterday I initiated a reservation (I placed it on hold). I have a few days to make my first down payment, and apply the FCD.

1. Can I get this FCD as well as transfer the reservation to some great TA, who would also provide a significant benefit?

2. What kind of benefit might be expected in this case?

3. How long might I have to make this transfer to the TA?

4. Any recommendations for a TA?

Many thanks!
Highly recommend Annette DeBaca at www.pavlus.com . We've been using her for four years now booking some six cruises with her. Best part is we get a 10-12% cash discount on our cruises.
Randyk47 is online now  
Reply With Quote
Old Sep 14, 16, 9:10 am
  #4  
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: BOS/PVD/BDL
Programs: PC Plat, SPG Gold, Marriott Gold,HHonors Diamond, Avis PC, Hertz PC, National Exec Elite
Posts: 714
As an agency owner for 10 years, I can tell that almost any booking that you would do with the cruise line can be done with an agent directly. The two usual exceptions are cruises deals offered by the cruise line's casino department to big gamblers and whole ship charters.

The systems that the cruise line phone reps and travel agents use are usually exactly the same thing. Things like future cruise discounts and cruise credits are things that travel agents can handle. I had a credit from a previous cruise due to inoperable toilet in my suite, and I was able to apply the credit myself to my next cruise I am planning.

Items that we can offer that a cruise line rep cannot are:
-group pricing on most sailings if booked in advance
-additional oboard amenities
-exclusive free shore excursions
-exclusive special onboard events
-free hotel stays
-the exclusive access to one agent that is always available and can give their independent opinions.

The reservation transfer rules vary from cruise line to cruise line. Most have a specific time period that a reservation can be transferred. Once a cruise is paid in full, a reservation cannot be transferred as the agency would not be paid on it.
ktremor is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Sep 14, 16, 10:54 am
  #5  
Original Poster
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: HNL
Programs: Pt: UA; Au: AA, Marriott, Hilton; Ex-HA Pt (now not), GE
Posts: 4,961
Many thanks for all your thoughtful replies.
747FC is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Sep 14, 16, 11:05 am
  #6  
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: SFO/OAK
Programs: Holder of six "persona non-grata" awards
Posts: 1,898
Just curious, but if you hand-off the reservation to a TA, can the end-user still log-on and see/edit the booking, or is a new reservation number generated for the TA and all future access by the client MUST go through the TA?

Thanks.

Originally Posted by ktremor View Post
As an agency owner for 10 years, I can tell that almost any booking that you would do with the cruise line can be done with an agent directly. The two usual exceptions are cruises deals offered by the cruise line's casino department to big gamblers and whole ship charters.

The systems that the cruise line phone reps and travel agents use are usually exactly the same thing. Things like future cruise discounts and cruise credits are things that travel agents can handle. I had a credit from a previous cruise due to inoperable toilet in my suite, and I was able to apply the credit myself to my next cruise I am planning.

Items that we can offer that a cruise line rep cannot are:
-group pricing on most sailings if booked in advance
-additional oboard amenities
-exclusive free shore excursions
-exclusive special onboard events
-free hotel stays
-the exclusive access to one agent that is always available and can give their independent opinions.

The reservation transfer rules vary from cruise line to cruise line. Most have a specific time period that a reservation can be transferred. Once a cruise is paid in full, a reservation cannot be transferred as the agency would not be paid on it.
fozziedoggie is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Sep 14, 16, 12:12 pm
  #7  
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: BOS/PVD/BDL
Programs: PC Plat, SPG Gold, Marriott Gold,HHonors Diamond, Avis PC, Hertz PC, National Exec Elite
Posts: 714
Originally Posted by fozziedoggie View Post
Just curious, but if you hand-off the reservation to a TA, can the end-user still log-on and see/edit the booking, or is a new reservation number generated for the TA and all future access by the client MUST go through the TA?

Thanks.
Nothing with the reservation itself will change like reservation number or the ability to view the booking online.

You will not be able to edit yourself the reservation details like cabin #, cabin category. Those will have to be made by the travel agent.

Any payments for the cruise will have to be made by through the agent. A word of warning on this part: Make sure the agent is processing the payment through the cruise line and not their business account. Charging it through the agent is a big red flag for fraud and cancels any travel protection from your credit card.

If you call the cruise line, they will answer general questions but will in the end direct you back to your travel agent. That is what your agent is there for in helping with all aspects of the trip.

Each agency also has access to sales reps assigned to them from each cruise line and they act as a resource for any of my client's reservations. Also being in the industry for a long time, I know on a personal basis many of the executives who I can also reach out to if need be.


People's knock on booking through an agent is that they lose control of the process and they do not like that as they feel they know all the answers. I get many calls from people that booked on their own and at the first sign of problems they come asking for help as the cruise line wont help. By that point, I cannot get involved as they are usually paid in full.
ktremor is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Sep 15, 16, 5:32 am
  #8  
FlyerTalk Evangelist
 
Join Date: Mar 2001
Location: Fort Worth TX
Programs: Earned status with AA, DL, SPG, HH, Hyatt, Marriott, Seabourn, NCL, National, Hertz...I miss my bed!
Posts: 10,924
Some Seabourn specific experience here - I usually put down a FCD while on board but don't actually book any reservations. When I get home, my agent already knows I've put the FCD down (they notify her if she booked the sailing I was just on... although you can also request they *not* do that!). From there, when I'm ready I just call her and have her book my Seabourn cruise.

She also handles all the miscellaneous details for me past my reservation like making sure my referral onboard credit and shareholder onboard credit get applied, adding my Virtuoso amenities, booking private (non-cruise line shore excursions), and she always throws in extra onboard credit too.
techgirl is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Sep 19, 16, 7:40 am
  #9  
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: BOS/PVD/BDL
Programs: PC Plat, SPG Gold, Marriott Gold,HHonors Diamond, Avis PC, Hertz PC, National Exec Elite
Posts: 714
Originally Posted by techgirl View Post
Some Seabourn specific experience here - I usually put down a FCD while on board but don't actually book any reservations. When I get home, my agent already knows I've put the FCD down (they notify her if she booked the sailing I was just on... although you can also request they *not* do that!). From there, when I'm ready I just call her and have her book my Seabourn cruise.

She also handles all the miscellaneous details for me past my reservation like making sure my referral onboard credit and shareholder onboard credit get applied, adding my Virtuoso amenities, booking private (non-cruise line shore excursions), and she always throws in extra onboard credit too.
That process pretty much goes for all cruise lines these days.

As long as you booked with a travel agent, any bookings or certificates you book onboard will be transferred to their agency after the cruise is complete. The agency either gets a fax or email on that Monday or Tuesday that the client made a booking onboard. If the onboard agent doesnt assign the reservation to your agent, you can call the line to have it transferred.
ktremor is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Oct 12, 16, 2:10 pm
  #10  
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: Shenandoah Valley of Virginia
Programs: Hyatt, SPG, IHG, UAL
Posts: 10
Usually you have about 3 months after booking to transfer. They will also give you your FCD. Additionally they will give you an OBC and that depends on how much you are spending. I NEVER book directly with a cruise line since I know that I'll get an OBC from my great travel agent.
ValleyGirlofVA is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Jul 25, 17, 10:55 am
  #11  
Original Poster
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: HNL
Programs: Pt: UA; Au: AA, Marriott, Hilton; Ex-HA Pt (now not), GE
Posts: 4,961
Originally Posted by 747FC View Post
All my cruising history has had me booking directly with the cruise line. From many of you, I have learned that there can be significant financial benefits from booking with the right TA.

I have a multi-part question here, and would appreciate all of your learned advice:

Situation

I have a 5% future cruise discount (FCD) on Seabourn, and yesterday I initiated a reservation (I placed it on hold). I have a few days to make my first down payment, and apply the FCD.

1. Can I get this FCD as well as transfer the reservation to some great TA, who would also provide a significant benefit?

2. What kind of benefit might be expected in this case?

3. How long might I have to make this transfer to the TA?

4. Any recommendations for a TA?

Many thanks!
OP here. I'm about to leave on my first TA-mediated cruise. So far, it has been a very good experience, so I'll wrap this up by answering my own questions:

1. Can I get this FCD as well as transfer the reservation to some great TA, who would also provide a significant benefit? Yes

2. What kind of benefit might be expected in this case? Got a 10% cash rebate off the cruiseline price

3. How long might I have to make this transfer to the TA? No impediment for me

4. Any recommendations for a TA? See Randyk47's referral upthread. Thanks to him for making it!
747FC is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Jul 31, 17, 11:55 am
  #12  
Accor Contributor Badge
 
Join Date: Jun 2001
Location: Lake Oswego, Oregon
Programs: AS MVPG Hilton Gold, Hyatt Globalist, Crystal Society Diamond
Posts: 806
Amex MR points

We found using a Amex affiliated (Avoya) TA made a huge difference. Accrued double MR points for using them. Since our cruise was above 100k this made a big difference to us. We also found a TA who cares. She responds to our calls. She is honest. She saves us money and time.

If you need the name of a lovely TA who is Amex affiliated but not Platinum's TA service then PM me. I get nothing from this myself. I am just proud of the work she did for us.
ijkh is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Aug 2, 17, 10:17 pm
  #13  
FlyerTalk Evangelist
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: IAD/DCA
Posts: 31,510
enjoy! what type of cruise?

new amex plat 5X is just hotels/air and not cruises right?

any US agent (the one you like) can book through US platinum/centurion for client

Last edited by Kagehitokiri; Aug 4, 17 at 8:10 am
Kagehitokiri is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Aug 3, 17, 11:16 pm
  #14  
Accor Contributor Badge
 
Join Date: Jun 2001
Location: Lake Oswego, Oregon
Programs: AS MVPG Hilton Gold, Hyatt Globalist, Crystal Society Diamond
Posts: 806
Our next cruise is a river cruise in Burma. I doubt we will see 5x points for the cruise. That would be a thrill. Meanwhile I will take double points tyvm. We are quite happy with our TA. We have had less than stellar TAs in the past. There is a difference.
ijkh is offline  
Reply With Quote

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off


Thread Tools
Search this Thread