Wiki Posts
Search

Windstar: extension cords

Search this Thread

Old Oct 8, 2016, 10:22 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster
IHG Contributor BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge

Programs: Delta - Silver; UA - Silver; HHonors - Diamond; IHG - Spire Ambassador; Marriott Bonvoy - Titanium
Windstar: extension cords

Is this an item that gets flagged when they screen luggage? I was considering bringing a short one as the outlets are way at the far edge of the desk it seems. Or, are they pretty much looking for alcohol, knives, etc.?
Old Oct 9, 2016, 7:24 am

Programs: AA EXP, DL Silver, Global Entry
Originally Posted by Points Scrounger
Is this an item that gets flagged when they screen luggage? I was considering bringing a short one as the outlets are way at the far edge of the desk it seems. Or, are they pretty much looking for alcohol, knives, etc.?
It seems to be mixed. Most people take extension cords on without issue but occasionally you hear of somebody who has an issue. More likely, and again not consistently, power bars with surge protection catch the screeners attention. We use a couple of short travel extension cords we bought off of Magellan that aren't surge protectors and have never had an issue.
Old Oct 9, 2016, 8:45 am

Programs: UA-1K, MM, Hilton-Diamond, Marriott-Titanium
I bring extension cords with me all the time for cruises and hotel stays and never have had an issue.
Old Oct 9, 2016, 10:35 am

Programs: Au: UA, Marriott, Hilton; GE
We have been using this Belkin mini-surge protector on cruise ships without any problem, and it is quite compact:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...pf_rd_i=495314
Old Oct 9, 2016, 11:58 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: Delta - Silver; UA - Silver; HHonors - Diamond; IHG - Spire Ambassador; Marriott Bonvoy - Titanium
Thanks, folks! I should fine in that case!
Old Oct 9, 2016, 3:08 pm
Original Member

Programs: AS, UA, HY, Hil, Merr
We know a couple that both use CPAC machines. Holland America will set these up for you on the ship according to them. This means the ship has cords that they may share. You might call the company and ask. This could save you some security checks and a little space?
Old Oct 9, 2016, 3:37 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

I carry this one in my zip up cables, adapters, etc. case which I think ought to pass through in the shoulder bag I'm going to be walking onboard with.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

A bit pricey, but I like that the plug is defaulted to a European socket.
Old Oct 10, 2016, 8:01 am

Originally Posted by 747FC
We have been using this Belkin mini-surge protector on cruise ships without any problem, and it is quite compact:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...pf_rd_i=495314
Just an FYI on that Belkin. It is really nice. I used to take that one on cruises as well, but it has surge protection in it of a type that is bad for ship-based electrical systems. Several cruise lines have started cracking down on the surge protectors in the past few months due to the fire risk they pose, and that is one of the ones that can be confiscated if they find out you have it on board.
Old Oct 10, 2016, 11:35 am

Programs: Au: UA, Marriott, Hilton; GE
Originally Posted by bjk123
Just an FYI on that Belkin. It is really nice. I used to take that one on cruises as well, but it has surge protection in it of a type that is bad for ship-based electrical systems. Several cruise lines have started cracking down on the surge protectors in the past few months due to the fire risk they pose, and that is one of the ones that can be confiscated if they find out you have it on board.
OOPs. How am I going to charge my Samsung Note 7?????
Old Oct 12, 2016, 6:45 am

Originally Posted by Randyk47
More likely, and again not consistently, power bars with surge protection catch the screeners attention.
Reason why should be obvious. At hundreds or a thousand joules, these protectors even have a history of creating fires.

Meanwhile a protector in the home is trying to protect only from surges so tiny as to be made irrelevant by protection already inside each appliance. That home protector does not protect from typically destructive surges. And is also a fire threat. It should cause you concern. And raise questions about something completely different (also called a surge protector) that actually does protection. And typically costs tens of times less money.

Last edited by westom; Oct 12, 2016 at 8:08 am
Old Oct 15, 2016, 8:52 am

Originally Posted by westom
Reason why should be obvious. At hundreds or a thousand joules, these protectors even have a history of creating fires.

Meanwhile a protector in the home is trying to protect only from surges so tiny as to be made irrelevant by protection already inside each appliance. That home protector does not protect from typically destructive surges. And is also a fire threat. It should cause you concern. And raise questions about something completely different (also called a surge protector) that actually does protection. And typically costs tens of times less money.
Whether it's obvious or not a lot of people travel with surge protectors. My point was not to start a discussion of the virtuals of surge protectors but to point out cruise lines will sometimes detect and temporarily hold surge protectors until the end of the cruise. It's inconsistent.
Old Oct 16, 2016, 3:14 pm

Originally Posted by Randyk47
My point was not to start a discussion of the virtuals of surge protectors but to point out cruise lines will sometimes detect and temporarily hold surge protectors until the end of the cruise. It's inconsistent.
What matters (at home and on ship) is why plug-in protectors are confiscated. Filters never catch everything. But plug-in protector have a history of even creating fires. And do not claim to protect from surges that are destructive. No need to discuss it. Numbers explain why that history exists.
Old Oct 29, 2016, 9:40 pm

Programs: UA, AA, DL, B6, CX, KE, Latitude, VIFP, Crown & Anchor, etc.
We are frequent cruisers on several major lines as well - UL listed/approved extension cords - short or longer ones for CPAP, etc. are fine for cruising.

Those Belkin surger protectors/triple outlets with the USB charging port (owned both the "original" & newer, higher amp rating) are catching the attention of port/ship security doing the safety screening - and, if they are spotted, subject to seizure/held for custody until disembarkation due to fire risk to ship's electrical system. It's widely discussed on Cruisecritic Forum - safety/danger has to do with marine system's neutral/ground system vs. those on dry land ... long story short.

A short 3' extension power strip without surge protection/suppression circuits is basically what we take on cruises - like this one we picked up years ago at the local IKEA store. For assorted USB devices, a good 4 or 5 ports Anker charger usually suffice to go with OEM cables for safe charging, without using up all the limited outlets inside the ship's staterooms ... and, we take full advantage of the available 220-240 volts outlet with compatible devices & proper adapters.
https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/...60401_1135.jpg

Best practices while at sea - disconnect the extension cords and adapters when not in use, out of the staterooms & also while sound asleep.
Old Oct 29, 2016, 11:49 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

I thought folks often use those for their cpap machines ... while sleeping!
Old Oct 30, 2016, 6:57 am

Originally Posted by Points Scrounger
I thought folks often use those for their cpap machines ... while sleeping!
They do and cruise lines usually accommodate the requirement without issue. Sometimes lines will insist passengers use cords the line supplies, sometimes they'll ask to inspect the passenger's cord, and sometimes either the cord is not noticed or security considers it part of the CPAP equipment and says nothing.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.