Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Cruises
Reload this Page >

Major Changes to NCL Beverage Policy

Major Changes to NCL Beverage Policy

Old Jul 17, 2016, 3:12 pm

Programs: UA-1K, MM, Hilton-Diamond, Marriott-Titanium
Originally Posted by hedoman
Thanks for your contribution to this thread. We are so happy to know that you travel with the upper 20%.
LOL. This from someone that is a Seabourn Diamond? GLad to know you travel with the upper 20% also. If you are a Diamond you have way more cruises with them then I do.

I have cruised NCL and the old adage is you get what you pay for. FYI the last all inclusive cruise I went on had people from all walks of life, teachers, accountants, retirees, etc. Not just the upper 20%
Old Jul 17, 2016, 4:39 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

NCL does have the 3BR garden villas as part of small havens, and havens can be booked by small groups

but regent explorer regent suite actually seems more interesting and unique (costs more)

there are many on FT who spend way above what the average travel spend is by others in their same income/worth level

seabourn club can earn up to 3 points per day (since 2012?)

Last edited by Kagehitokiri; Jul 17, 2016 at 4:44 pm
Old Jul 20, 2016, 10:50 am

Angry Major Changes to NCL Beverage Policy

This is not only another way for NCL to gouge its customers by pushing them towards their beverage package, it is also a serious health concern to me. I don't drink tap water at home, or when I travel--I only drink bottled water. Why would I now want to drink from a ship's filtration system that could risk the spread of a virus or other infection if it malfunctions or if it were to be breached, either intentionally or accidentally.

I am extremely disappointed in NCL's new policy and have emailed them that my already booked October 2016 will be my last with NCL unless they retract their policy or offer guests the opportunity to purchase a case of bottled water on board at the same prices we pay at home ($4-$5 per case).

If this is a serious security concern for them, they should welcome the suggestion to offer that guests can purchase their cases of bottled water on board. However, if it is a way for NCL to gouge their customers, they will hold fast to their decision.

You should all send emails to NCL, tweet to your friends, family, and spread the word about your disappointment with this new policy, whether you drink water, soda or any other bottled beverage.
Old Jul 20, 2016, 4:04 pm

Programs: AA EXP.
so could i get a note from my doctor saying I need water to live? lol
Old Jul 23, 2016, 11:45 am

Programs: Hilton LTD, Hyatt Glob, Marriott LTTE, AA LTP, Avis PC, National EE, Seabourn DE
Originally Posted by cruisr
LOL. This from someone that is a Seabourn Diamond? GLad to know you travel with the upper 20% also. If you are a Diamond you have way more cruises with them then I do.

I have cruised NCL and the old adage is you get what you pay for. FYI the last all inclusive cruise I went on had people from all walks of life, teachers, accountants, retirees, etc. Not just the upper 20%
Forgot about Seabourn being noted on profile. Poorly worded comment by me. Left to my own devices, it would have been a much more snarky post.

The NCL water story is beyond belief.

Anyway, I figure 80% of people buying the NCL product have no interest in the smaller ships. And there is nothing about exclusive about the all inclusive lines, regardless what Mrs. Rodriguez advertises.
Old Jul 25, 2016, 5:02 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Earned status with AA, DL, SPG, HH, Hyatt, Marriott, Seabourn, NCL, National, Hertz...I miss my bed!
Originally Posted by hedoman
Anyway, I figure 80% of people buying the NCL product have no interest in the smaller ships. And there is nothing about exclusive about the all inclusive lines, regardless what Mrs. Rodriguez advertises.
And then you have the 20% of us who would prefer to be on Seabourn but occasionally end up on NCL due to availability of their shorter cruises.

NCL isn't horrible if you have the beverage package, specialty dining, and VIP status. But I'd rather be on a line where all those things are a given.

The water policy is a major annoyance. I almost always come back on the ship from port with a bottle of water (or two) in my bag and will find it annoying to have to toss them (or gulp them down) before reboarding.
Old Jul 25, 2016, 12:05 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

usually garden villas are expensive on NCL's ~1 night cruises, but sometimes not

silversea may still do 5 night custom itineraries

seadream did a 3 night once
Old Jul 28, 2016, 9:04 pm

Just a money grab
Old Jul 30, 2016, 12:42 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Gold AAdvantage Elite, Rapids Reward
I've got idea! Please don't let tell security about beverage into checked bags or carryon. You must have keep locks your bags and no one ever open the bag. You can put juices, soda, water into checked bags or carryon bag. Either way if you want to placed them into checked bag and you have keep locked the bags.
Old Jul 30, 2016, 6:08 am

Originally Posted by N830MH
I've got idea! Please don't let tell security about beverage into checked bags or carryon. You must have keep locks your bags and no one ever open the bag. You can put juices, soda, water into checked bags or carryon bag. Either way if you want to placed them into checked bag and you have keep locked the bags.
They scan them and if they detect something, the bags are sent to the "naughty room." The bags then need to be collected by the passenger and opened for security before being released.
Old Jul 30, 2016, 8:52 am

Ummmm.......has anyone considered drinking plain old tap water? Bottled water is more expensive, more wasteful, and 98% of the time, no more healthful. Why waste money and create more trash with bottle water?

Yes, they're trying to make more money from passengers without increasing their fares, but why is anyone surprised? A lot of people want rock-bottom fares, but then are surprised when the company chooses to sell supplementary items in order to make more money? It's really kind of "pay me now, or pay me later"
Old Jul 30, 2016, 9:57 am

Programs: AA EXP.
Originally Posted by Calliopeflyer
Ummmm.......has anyone considered drinking plain old tap water? Bottled water is more expensive, more wasteful, and 98% of the time, no more healthful. Why waste money and create more trash with bottle water?

Yes, they're trying to make more money from passengers without increasing their fares, but why is anyone surprised? A lot of people want rock-bottom fares, but then are surprised when the company chooses to sell supplementary items in order to make more money? It's really kind of "pay me now, or pay me later"
Rusty old pipes. I drink about a gallon a day including a lot at night . I want the best for my body
Old Jul 30, 2016, 10:21 am

Programs: Delta Gold, silver, what yr is it?
I also drink about a gallon a day. We have an RO filter at home (we're on a well) but when I'm on a cruise - I just drink the tap water. Haven't died yet - what I do for a week probably won't kill me.

I don't like big ships so it's unlikely I'd ever be looking at NCL anyway, but if they changed the rules on me (if anyone did) right before a trip I had booked under different rules, I'd be pissed too!
Old Jul 30, 2016, 2:50 pm

Originally Posted by Amil
I want the best for my body
Why do you presume bottled water is better? Multiple studies have shown that many commercially available bottled waters are more contaminated with microbes (and minerals) than local tap water. Are you sure the bottled water you're drinking is "healthier" than the local tap water, on the ship or at home?
Old Jul 30, 2016, 4:07 pm
Suspended

Programs: Aeroplan, IHG, Enterprise, Avios, Nexus
Maybe NCL customers need to invest in CamelBak products. Slip on one of their water carriers under your shirt and when going through security do your best Marty Feldman imitation from Young Frankenstein. "Hump? What hump?"

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.