Reload this Page >

Major Changes to NCL Beverage Policy

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Major Changes to NCL Beverage Policy

Search this Thread

Old Jul 5, 2016, 6:14 pm

Carnival did this recently, but offset it by dropping the price of water to under $5 for a case. NCL prices on bottled water are outrageous -- I think like $40 or more for a case.
Old Jul 5, 2016, 7:24 pm

Originally Posted by BamaVol
Unless this changed, it can be done over the phone or through your TA, if you used one. You are correct that it cannot be done via the website.
Yes, it has changed. Pay at time of booking but refundable if cancelled by specific date. Prices in US$. So if you are not U.S. based and do not have a US$ credit card, you may end of losing a few dollars on the exchange.
Old Jul 5, 2016, 7:29 pm

Originally Posted by lkar
Carnival did this recently, but offset it by dropping the price of water to under $5 for a case. NCL prices on bottled water are outrageous -- I think like $40 or more for a case.
The price list is here:

https://www.ncl.com/onboard-packages...water-packages

Yup, a case of 12 1-litre bottles for $39.95, plus 18% gratuity and service charge to deliver it to your cabin! For Pride of America, a case of 24 500ml bottles for $44.95, plus 18% gratuity and service charge.
Old Jul 6, 2016, 6:30 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Delta DM 1 MM; Hz PC
Re-read this thread - it is serious money grabbing when you do not even allow water on board.
Old Jul 6, 2016, 10:20 am

Originally Posted by alaskantraveler
I've only been on one cruise and it was a decade ago while in college. Royal Caribbean. At the time they had the no outside alcohol policy. I took Vodka and put it in water bottles to disguise it.
And this is exactly one of the reasons that cruise lines have started banning even bottled water. Add to that all the attention that people get when they "fall" off cruise ships when they get wasted and the cruise lines are trying to avoid the bad publicity they get by controlling how much liquor you can get (after all, they can theoretically cut you off at the bars if they think you're too drunk).

Oh, and sure, money's also an issue, but I'd be willing to bet that liability is far higher on their minds than the money.
Old Jul 8, 2016, 6:54 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Delta, Marriott
Originally Posted by Clipper801
The price list is here:

https://www.ncl.com/onboard-packages...water-packages

Yup, a case of 12 1-litre bottles for $39.95, plus 18% gratuity and service charge to deliver it to your cabin! For Pride of America, a case of 24 500ml bottles for $44.95, plus 18% gratuity and service charge.
Yep, that's why hubby and I will wait until we are onboard to order any NCL water (we have a total of $300 in OBC).
Old Jul 8, 2016, 8:02 pm

This is quite a disappointing move, especially for the water. I am surprised at the quick implementation of this policy, as well. I would be quite upset if I had a cruise upcoming and now have to plan on potentially hundreds of dollars in extra on-board spending on beverages.

Next thing you know people will be using their Rum Runners for water.
Old Jul 9, 2016, 2:19 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Next move: timed showers?
Old Jul 9, 2016, 2:26 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by sonofzeus
Next move: timed showers?
Is the water in bathroom sinks potable?
Old Jul 9, 2016, 6:59 pm

Programs: Delta Gold, silver, what yr is it?
Originally Posted by GRALISTAIR
Is the water in bathroom sinks potable?
I've not cruised NCL but typically yes - you can (and I have) fill your own water bottle from your bathroom sink. Or use the water in the buffet (different lines handle this differently to avoid public health issues, but - it's been possible on all lines I've sailed)
Old Jul 9, 2016, 7:17 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: HH Diamond, Marriott Gold, IHG Gold, Hyatt something
Sounds ridiculous that they don't offer free bottled water. $40 a case is crazy.
Old Jul 9, 2016, 7:19 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Jaimito Cartero
Sounds ridiculous that they don't offer free bottled water. $40 a case is crazy.
Exactly - I would use the word- obscene
Old Jul 10, 2016, 8:58 am

Programs: BAEC Gold, AA PPro, Hyatt Globalist, Amex Plat
Originally Posted by LadyPhoenix
Yep, that's why hubby and I will wait until we are onboard to order any NCL water (we have a total of $300 in OBC).
It is a shame that you'll have to use on onboard credit towards water...

Regards
Old Jul 10, 2016, 10:40 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: HH Silver
Re-read this thread - it is serious money grabbing when you do not even allow water on board.
Agree. NCL has made a number of these passenger unfriendly moves in the last year and it could massively backfire as folks who dislike being 'nickel & dimed' simply stop cruising NCL.
Old Jul 10, 2016, 6:12 pm

Originally Posted by tcook052
Agree. NCL has made a number of these passenger unfriendly moves in the last year and it could massively backfire as folks who dislike being 'nickel & dimed' simply stop cruising NCL.
I think many are more "upset" by the price that NCL had demanded for a case of bottled water than not being able to bring water on board.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.