Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Transatlantic Crossing

Search this Thread

Old Aug 4, 2019, 10:25 am

Programs: AA EXP, DL Silver, Global Entry
Originally Posted by YVR Cockroach
In the MDR or the suite/spa/extra cost DRs (on Celebrity and also on Cunard)? Princess MDR was a big letdown 3 years ago but the cruise was short. I could even believe Celebrity MDRs were good in the past but not when more acreage and kitchen space/staff have been carved out to create special DRs and kitchens for suite and spa class pax. My experience on the Millennium puts HAL way in the front by comparison (IMHO the single-class MDR.helps keep quality up for all).
A bit disturbing to hear HAL MDRs are now maybe better than on Celebrity. On our Celebrity cruise we thought the MDR was pretty good and better than on HAL. Quite a slip for Celebrity. Our last two HAL cruises were a study in opposites. The MDR on the Veendam was horrid, maybe the worst of any cruise we’ve taken, but the next cruise on the Maasdam and the MDR was great to excellent. Of course that’s all in the past as I can’t think of any circumstances that will ever see us on Celebrity or Holland America again.
Old Aug 4, 2019, 11:42 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: FB Silver going for Gold
Originally Posted by Randyk47
A bit disturbing to hear HAL MDRs are now maybe better than on Celebrity. On our Celebrity cruise we thought the MDR was pretty good and better than on HAL.

That was my impression before I sailed on Celebrity (X). From all accounts (usually on CC), what led to the change was the decision to treat the suite and spa classes to their own exclusive restaurants (and kitchens) and give the rest the experience they pay for (or don't). The items one would see offered in the MDR on a HAL ship (or used to be*) such as lamb chops, veal chops, nice fish, etc. was totally absent from the MDR of the Celebrity where cheap cuts seem to be de rigueur. Not to mention a very crowded (as in virtually full) MDR (few stops and a full ship did not help). I have been following the price of the X Millennium's annual Vancouver-Yokohama repo cruise. Sold out in 2017 due to blow-out pricing early in the year, followed by high pricing the next year which led to a ship that did not sail full (selling cabins right at the last minute), and right now, the cruise departing in just over a month is offering lower prices than for the 2017 cruise for the better cabins (outside, balconies and concierge - USD 55-65 p.p. p.d.). I don't think the social stratification strategy on X is going over too well for people not in suite or spa classes. We didn't mind the shabby treatment on X too much given that our per diem was ~USD40 p.p. but I'd hate to give them any more.

* know some frequent HAL cruisers and loyalists who were extremely disappointed in the dining experience on their spring cruise that they are giving HAL one more chance on an already-booked summer cruise. They're not sure where they'll turn to next but RC/X isn't a good place (though they seem to think/hope so).
Old Aug 4, 2019, 12:23 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: DREAD Gold; UA 1.035MM; Bonvoy Au-197; PCC Elite+; CCC Elite+; MSC C-12; CWC Au-197; WoH Dis
In the MDR or the suite/spa/extra cost DRs (on Celebrity and also on Cunard)?
We never book cabins that have dedicated dining rooms. We find the specialty restaurants are significantly better on Princess, but the MDR is slightly better on Celebrity. On Cunard, the MDR is far better than their specialty restaurant (Verandah), so paying extra there is a real waste of money.

(IMHO the single-class MDR.helps keep quality up for all)
Or down...

I find it interesting that you laud HAL so much. Every other person I've talked with about HAL has said it's below even Carnival and to run away quickly. But I guess that's why there's such a variety - everyone has different tastes.
ExArkie likes this.
Old Aug 4, 2019, 3:16 pm

Originally Posted by mahasamatman
We never book cabins that have dedicated dining rooms. We find the specialty restaurants are significantly better on Princess, but the MDR is slightly better on Celebrity. On Cunard, the MDR is far better than their specialty restaurant (Verandah), so paying extra there is a real waste of money.

Or down...

I find it interesting that you laud HAL so much. Every other person I've talked with about HAL has said it's below even Carnival and to run away quickly. But I guess that's why there's such a variety - everyone has different tastes.
Not speaking for YVR Cockroach but as a 4-star Holland America Mariner and one time pretty faithful loyalist. I’m not ready to say long time HAL customers are abandoning the line by the boatload. I’m also not quite ready to say HAL has slipped below Carnival. At the same time it’s also no secret that after hundreds of days on HAL my wife and I became disenchanted with HAL. Understanding products and services evolve does not overcome what we felt was a general degradation of the overall HAL experience. I wouldn’t enumerate those aspects we felt had changed as that just leads to a debate about what is and isn’t important but there were things changed that were important to us. Granted we also changed. Suffice to say the old saying “you can’t keep everybody happy all the time” seems to fit here. There are still and will be many HAL loyalists who are happy with the line and will stay with it to their last cruise. There are also new HAL cruisers who have no idea about how HAL was in the past but who are quite pleased with today’s HAL. HAL was good for and to us. We had numerous great cruises on HAL. It simply no longer meets our needs or expectations.
FlyerTalker688786 and 747FC like this.
Old Aug 5, 2019, 5:39 am

As an addendum to what I posted above yesterday just this morning I read a thread on Cruise Critic that was very critical of Holland America. Unfortunately nothing new about that but what I noticed was some of the criticism coming from long time HAL loyalist who previously had been reluctant to jump on that bandwagon. Some of the posters are people I have known for years through the board and have cruised with. In the past some have acknowledged the cutbacks and degradation but have said the cutbacks weren’t important to them, at least not sufficient enough to question continued patronage. Many have fallen back on the quality of service that has been a hallmark of HAL for decades. This recent thread on Cruise Critic showed a shift and a recognition that a poor product served well is still a poor product. There were a few posters who threw out the “but all lines are cutting” defense. A bit surprising were loyalists who said they’d either look to more upscale lines or quit cruising altogether. The paradigm is slowly but surely shifting at least for HAL.
Old Aug 5, 2019, 10:28 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by mahasamatman
Or down..

I will concede that the only times I've sailed on HAL were in late 2012 and 2014 so that's eons by cruiseco cutback time, and the Celebrity one was almost 2 years ago. My experience in 2012 and 2014 may well not reflect what one would experience in 2019. It may also have been the type of cruise (all 3 I am comparing were repos) - service was great on the HAL sailings as the ships were nowhere near full and perhaps the kitchen wasn't so rushed, and maybe HAL provisioned the ships well (except on the Prinsendam that had rotten desserts (not a bad thing) and rotten cheese (I like my cheeses ripe, but the ones served on board were nearly putrid).. I suspect the latter may be due to the ship going into drydock at the end of that cruise.

By comparison, the Celebrity repo was full so service was either rushed or slow (some evenings, we sat down, ordered and ate a 4-course dinner in under and hour, some evenings it was nearly 2). Same area, and pretty much the same 4 waiters for 14 of 15 nts. Provisioning was also much poorer than HAL of 5 and 7 years ago but HAL may well have suffered back cutbacks since.

As an addendum to what I posted above yesterday just this morning I read a thread on Cruise Critic that was very critical of Holland America. Unfortunately nothing new about that but what I noticed was some of the criticism coming from long time HAL loyalist who previously had been reluctant to jump on that bandwagon....
. A bit surprising were loyalists who said they’d either look to more upscale lines or quit cruising altogether. The paradigm is slowly but surely shifting at least for HAL.
That was what I heard from the HAL loyalist I mentioned above. It seems that the proverbial straw was finaly loaded. The drive to push profit growth faster than revenue growth will end badly.
Old Aug 20, 2019, 7:52 pm

Programs: LT Plt, 4mm, *A GLD, burned out medical provider, executing our estate plan
Back to TAs. We did BCN to MIA repo on Oceania, very specifically so we could try out the Oceania suite at a reduced price. And see the Canarys
Wow. We are now booked in the OS in october on the tail end of another repo. 1000 sq feet. media room. Butler. On formal night we did tapas, appetizers from all the specialty restaurants served in room. We are not really about food, but the food is pretty good. So the TAs give you a chance to upgrade rooms at a reduced price to see how that feels. I agree with the post upthread that Oceania is premium, but not luxury, unless you are in a suite like this. They are not available on every Oceania ship, so be aware that the Vista suite on the smaller ships has a partially obstructed view. Our last 2 cruises have been SilverSea, most recently June from KEF to TRO, Arctic. Silverseas is probably luxury. The good part is, so far, their quality does not appear to be dropping even after they sold part of the ownership. Most of the ships we have been on in the past 5 years have had very good stabilizers. And I never had to pack a tux but I have one just in case.
Old Aug 21, 2019, 8:02 am

Programs: Hilton LTD, Hyatt Glob, Marriott LTTE, AA LTP, Avis PC, National EE, Seabourn DE

Not speaking for YVR Cockroach but as a 4-star Holland America Mariner and one time pretty faithful loyalist. I’m not ready to say long time HAL customers are abandoning the line by the boatload. I’m also not quite ready to say HAL has slipped below Carnival. At the same time it’s also no secret that after hundreds of days on HAL my wife and I became disenchanted with HAL. Understanding products and services evolve does not overcome what we felt was a general degradation of the overall HAL experience. I wouldn’t enumerate those aspects we felt had changed as that just leads to a debate about what is and isn’t important but there were things changed that were important to us. Granted we also changed. Suffice to say the old saying “you can’t keep everybody happy all the time” seems to fit here. There are still and will be many HAL loyalists who are happy with the line and will stay with it to their last cruise. There are also new HAL cruisers who have no idea about how HAL was in the past but who are quite pleased with today’s HAL. HAL was good for and to us. We had numerous great cruises on HAL. It simply no longer meets our needs or expectations.
Written as I would write, substituting Silversea for your HAL.
Old Aug 21, 2019, 8:54 am

Originally Posted by hedoman
Written as I would write, substituting Silversea for your HAL.
Ugh.....Silversea is the line we moved to. I have heard the “you should have cruised with Silversea back when” lament. I suppose that can be said of most lines today as they compete for passengers simultaneously cutting costs. Actually, the all-inclusive aspect notwithstanding, today’s Silversea reminds me a bit of HAL 25 years ago. What I’m concerned about now is what will happen to Silversea as RCCL takes control and institutes the big corporation’s cost savings measures.
Hoyaheel likes this.

Last edited by Randyk47; Aug 21, 2019 at 9:00 am
Old Sep 2, 2019, 4:57 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

There's an Azamara cruise from Miami to Lisbon next April that appears to be able to be had at a very good rate (<$2,000 for 13 nts) through Vacationstogo (Azamara direct is offering double UG but it means fares for the lowest category rooms are vastly overinflated)..
Old Sep 16, 2019, 10:52 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AAdvantage Executive Platinum, Delta Silver Medallion, Marriott Bonvoy Ambassador
We are booked on NCL Encore's maiden voyage from Southampton to NYC on November 2. Kind of excited about this one, tbh.
Old Oct 22, 2019, 6:03 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

If anyone is in Europe and wants to get over to North America and has time to do it, HAL has got two really cheap cruises leaving Rome for Miami leaving in the next few days. On the two never ships too (FAIW).

Might be even cheaper at VTG.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.