Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Cruises
Reload this Page >

Really large group on board. Would you cancel your booked cruise?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Sep 11, 2015, 4:41 am
Original Poster

Programs: Smiles Diamante, dirt elsewhere

I'm unsure what to do. My wife and I are booked on a Caribbean cruise. Through Cruise Critic I just found out a really large group will be on board (the ship has a capacity for 2,000 pax, the group is about 1,100).

I don't really have a problem with the group per se, I'm sure the crew will be able to keep things under control. My main concern is that bars will be really crowded and service slow in the evenings.

Any experiences with that? Is this really something I should be concerned about?

thanks
FR
Old Sep 11, 2015, 5:24 am

Programs: AA EXP, DL Silver, Global Entry
Originally Posted by FlyingRabbit
I'm unsure what to do. My wife and I are booked on a Caribbean cruise. Through Cruise Critic I just found out a really large group will be on board (the ship has a capacity for 2,000 pax, the group is about 1,100).

I don't really have a problem with the group per se, I'm sure the crew will be able to keep things under control. My main concern is that bars will be really crowded and service slow in the evenings.

Any experiences with that? Is this really something I should be concerned about?

thanks
FR
My personal experience is that when a ship is dominated by a large group, and I'd say 1,100 out of a possible 2,000 qualifies, that I'd rather not be in that cruise. It's got nothing to do with the group's particular interest, it's more that they tend to take over popular venues to the point where some bars, specialty restaurants, etc., are closed to all other passengers. I'd rather not deal with it.
Old Sep 11, 2015, 10:53 am

I'd personally look at getting off that cruise. It's very likely that a number of venues are going to end up being group-only (at least part of the time), and there's definitely no question that the character of the cruise will be dominated by whatever group it is that's on there. If it was a smaller group, like 300 or so, I probably wouldn't go out of my way to avoid it, but you'd probably still notice it. With over 50% of the ship? No way.

Cruise lines don't disclose this type of thing for a reason - they know people won't want to be on the ship with the group. (Although I think it ultimately works against them, because they just end up with disgruntled passengers.)
Old Sep 11, 2015, 10:57 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA
It would probably depend on the group, but yes for that large of a group I would cancel and find another. You may find venues completely reserved for that group, taken over, etc.
Old Sep 11, 2015, 10:58 am

Programs: HH Diamond, SPG Gold, Marriott Elite Gold
How does one learn about a group on their cruise?
Old Sep 11, 2015, 11:08 am
Original Poster

Programs: Smiles Diamante, dirt elsewhere
Randy, piper, wrp: thank you for your insights, they pretty much match my feelings. I guess I wanted to hear other people to be sure I wasn't overreacting to it. I'll probably skip it.

greg0ire: on the CC forum you have a section called Roll Calls, where people going on a specific cruise share details about cabins, land excursions, restaurants and general info about the cruise. I learned it there.
Old Sep 11, 2015, 11:19 am

Programs: HH Diamond, SPG Gold, Marriott Elite Gold
I'll take a peek. Thanks!
Old Sep 11, 2015, 11:26 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA
Note for the roll call section of the Cruise Critic boards, you must be a registered poster. They are divided by cruiseline, ship, and date of sailing

Some roll calls are very active, some not so much. And you don't have to post to read them, you just have to be a Cruise Critic member.
Old Sep 12, 2015, 5:58 pm

Programs: Celebrity Elite Plus, RCCL Diamond, Princess Platinum, Carlson Gold, IHG Platinum, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by greg0ire
How does one learn about a group on their cruise?
You may also have luck by googling the name of the ship and date of cruise. If there is a large charter group booked, you may see the organization name listed.

+1 for absolutely canceling your booking if there is a group booked that is 50% or more of the total PAX.
Old Sep 12, 2015, 7:14 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
Abandon Ship !

It's not the 1,100 people. If not those 1,100, it's another 1,100. The problem is that whole nature of the cruise will be different and the crew will be catering to the needs of the group's organizers (anybody tossing that much business is an Super-VIP). You can be in the Captain's suite and tip massive amounts and you won't get service.

Same thing with hotels, when there's a large group. Venues closed, your selections neglected and so on.

Get off and do others a favor, post it on the cruise line's FB page.
Old Sep 12, 2015, 10:42 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

yes, extremely concerned.

unless you can find out the group, and want to be around the group.

not alerting passengers = terrible
also unfortunate they did not require buyout
Old Sep 12, 2015, 10:48 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA 1K, AA EXP; Owner, Green Bay Packers
What could be so bad about a cosplay cruise?
Old Sep 12, 2015, 11:40 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

what kind of cosplay? and what cruiseline?
Old Sep 16, 2015, 6:45 pm

Programs: UA-1K, MM, Hilton-Diamond, Marriott-Titanium
Get off now while you still can. This group is 1/2 of the ship.
Old Sep 16, 2015, 7:22 pm
rlb

Programs: Alaska Airlines
I would change- that happened to us a couple of years ago- there were many venues at night that were available only to the group- I tried to find out ahead of time and was told that there would be no difference- there was- noticed especially with the theater groups-

change your dates if you can- we wished once we were on the ship that we had.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.