Wiki Posts
Search

Going on a cruise alone?

Search this Thread

Old May 28, 2015, 1:44 am
Original Poster

Programs: UA
Going on a cruise alone?

I'd like to go on a cruise this fall but I'll probably go alone. Is this worth it? What have been your experiences in this instance?
Old May 28, 2015, 7:47 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA
I love cruising alone, but I am very content in myself in general. I also have no problem talking to people I don't know and seeking out conversations if I find myself needing company.

What I love about cruising alone is the fact I can do whatever I want without having to consider anybody else's feelings and opinions. Sleep in until late afternoon? No problem. Get up at 5 am to watch the sunrise? Not an issue. Eat 6 times or never eat at all - no one else is going to be harmed by either decision.

I've learned a lot about myself when I travel alone.

Downside is there are frequently moments you want to share with someone who knows you. To me those are much more rare than the joy and contentment I get of being able to relax and truly be happy in myself.
Old May 28, 2015, 8:14 am

Programs: Holder of six "persona non-grata" awards
Someone else will know the answer for sure, but there are now a few major cruise lines that have dedicated "singles" rooms (all located within one deck/area of the ship). They arrange special events, dinners, etc. for this class of traveler; of course it comes at a more premium price. BTW, even when you're married you sometimes want to travel alone!
Old May 28, 2015, 9:42 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Acapulco - Gold, Panama - Red, Timothy Leary 8 Mile High Club
Originally Posted by fozziedoggie
Someone else will know the answer for sure, but there are now a few major cruise lines that have dedicated "singles" rooms (all located within one deck/area of the ship). They arrange special events, dinners, etc. for this class of traveler; of course it comes at a more premium price. BTW, even when you're married you sometimes want to travel alone!
I think I recall reading about several NCL ships with studio accommodations adjoining a dedicated studio lounge. That sounded perfect for a single cruiser. Take a look on Cruisecritic.com for the straight skinny.
Old May 28, 2015, 9:42 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Acapulco - Gold, Panama - Red, Timothy Leary 8 Mile High Club
Dupe.
Old May 29, 2015, 6:16 am

Originally Posted by fozziedoggie
Major Cruise Lines are starting to recognise the importance of the single traveller. Newer ships are being built with single staterooms and some of the older ships are being retrofitted to include a number of single staterooms.

BamaVol is correct. NCL have invested a lot into the concept of single travellers. Norwegian Epic provides 128 single staterooms, Norwegian Getaway and Breakaway each have 59 and Norwegian Escape coming in October of this year will have 82. (I will actually be onboard her inaugural journey reviewing one of her 'studio cabins'.) NCL even have a private lounge were passengers in the single staterooms can mingle.

Royal Caribbean's two newest ships, Quantum of the Seas and Anthem of the Seas feature their new concept of studio cabins. They can sleep two people but come with no single supplement.

Cruise Lines are even incorporating single balcony staterooms into their ships. P&O Cruises newest ship Britannia, which came into service a few months ago, as an example. She has 27 single staterooms of which 15 come with a balcony.

You need to be careful though as a single traveller, as most single staterooms book up early and if you end up booking any other class of cabin you are likely to end up paying close to the double occupancy charge for single use. As always there are exceptions to the rule.
Old May 29, 2015, 2:11 pm

Some cruise lines also offer lower single supplements on specific itineraries. Azamara comes to mind.

My advice is to "book what makes you happy" as there's no one else with you. Look for itineraries, lines, and ships which fit your interests rather than starting your search from solo cabins without additional supplement unless you're already happy with NCL and Royal mid to big ships. I do different activities when by myself than with others and desire a different level of fit, finish, layout, and service since I like to spend plenty of time in my cabin. Certain food quality is important to me, too, and I prefer smaller dining rooms.

Once you know what cruise fit and itinerary you'd like, look for a good deal even if you have to pay solo supplement. Solo supplement prices on inexpensive cruises can often be price competitive with studio cabins at premium times of the year.
cruiseplum.com can help search mass market cruiselines with solo pricing with different cabin categories.
vacationstogo.com shows single fares for a larger selection of cruise lines.
Old May 29, 2015, 2:26 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: FB Silver going for Gold
While most of the mainstream cruiselines charge a 100% supplement for single occupancy, Holland America charges (or at least only used to charge) 50% for inside and window ("oceanview") cabins.
Old May 29, 2015, 5:07 pm

Originally Posted by freecia
Some cruise lines also offer lower single supplements on specific itineraries. Azamara comes to mind.

My advice is to "book what makes you happy" as there's no one else with you. Look for itineraries, lines, and ships which fit your interests rather than starting your search from solo cabins without additional supplement unless you're already happy with NCL and Royal mid to big ships. I do different activities when by myself than with others and desire a different level of fit, finish, layout, and service since I like to spend plenty of time in my cabin. Certain food quality is important to me, too, and I prefer smaller dining rooms.

Once you know what cruise fit and itinerary you'd like, look for a good deal even if you have to pay solo supplement. Solo supplement prices on inexpensive cruises can often be price competitive with studio cabins at premium times of the year.
cruiseplum.com can help search mass market cruiselines with solo pricing with different cabin categories.
vacationstogo.com shows single fares for a larger selection of cruise lines.
You make some very good points freecia. The op has certainly been given a lot of options to consider.
Old Jun 1, 2015, 9:20 am

Programs: DL Gold, DL MM 8/22/16!
vacationstogo.com has an area listing just singles rates. But I've also learned that sometimes the deep sale listings in the regular area have single rates with only modest supplements. Worth asking them.

I've done several alone. Love it. The ships have pretty fair libraries, and lots of activities that aren't "couple" or family activities. Cooking classes, computer classes, presentations on all sorts of things. The cruises with lots of "at sea" days seem to work particularly hard at all sorts of different programs.

Peaceful, serene, calm, restful ....

I don't go to the sit-down dinners, but rather graze the buffets and other food options in the open areas. Easier on the waist line, and I don't particularly like to have to sit and wait for fancy meals. But the sit-down dinners could be a good way to meet other cruisers. Your choice there.

Romelle
Old Jun 1, 2015, 8:03 pm

Programs: Hyatt Explorist, IHG Platinum, Celebrity Cruises Elite Plus
Although a more expensive, luxury line, Crystal Cruises single supplements start around 130% for their entry-level ocean view staterooms. They can be a great bargain when comparing pricing with a mass market line that charges 200% single supplement. Great cruise line, albeit limited itineraries since they only have two ships. Crystal also does a wonderful job of pairing singles at sit-down, large table dinners (tables for 8 to 10).
Old Jun 7, 2015, 2:44 am

Originally Posted by hackyourlife
I'd like to go on a cruise this fall but I'll probably go alone. Is this worth it? What have been your experiences in this instance?
I think its about what you want to do. I have been on an Alaskan Disney Cruise twice and going on a 3rd later this summer. I would go alone if I wanted to. There is so much to do and see.

The only time I wouldnt want to be alone is for dinner. You have rotational dining and you sit a table with your family or who ever you are with. So being alone might not be that fun.

When I went the first time I happened to find out that some relatives were also going so we got set up for our families to all have dinner together.
Old Jun 7, 2015, 3:00 am
Suspended

Programs: UA 1K, AA EXP; Owner, Green Bay Packers
It's great! You can have time alone when you want it, but there are plenty of people to meet and spend time with when you want to. I took a 2 week cruise from Valparaiso around Cape Horn to Uruguay and EZE, had a great time. I met a lot of folks to share land side trips with, but could hang out in the lounges and watch the glaciers as we floated by if I just felt like relaxing by myself. I had a regular dinner table with the other younger passengers on the ship, so had some friends that I saw every evening.
Old Jun 7, 2015, 3:22 am

I would do it. Dont let going alone stop you. Although a cruise seems geared for families or groups I think going alone would have its perks as well.
Old Jun 11, 2015, 6:08 pm

Programs: AA PLTPRO, HH Diamond, IHG Plat, Marriott Plat, Hyatt Globalist
Last fall, I did a 7-day transatlantic crossing on the Queen Mary 2 and it was fantastic.

I tend to travel alone a fair amount, but seven days alone on the ship was pure bliss. It was very relaxing. I wouldn't hesitate to do it again

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.