Our ship rescued someone who fell off the ship

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Our ship rescued someone who fell off the ship

Search this Thread

Old Mar 15, 2015, 2:36 am

Programs: BA Gold Guest List; HH Diamond; Hyatt Diamond; SPG Gold
"Mister Mop" was probably "Mister MOB" - Man Over Board...
Old Mar 16, 2015, 9:08 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by NickW
Oh... cool.
Old Mar 16, 2015, 10:46 pm

Programs: UA & IHG Plat, SWAlist, Frontier 100k, Marriott Titan, IHG-Hilton-Hyatt-Wynd Gold, Nat EE, Hertz PC
That is amazing, normally they don't even know people have fallen off the boat until too late to back track and find them. That this ship came upon someone soon enough after they fell to save them is awesome!

-Patrick
Old Mar 18, 2015, 11:26 am

Programs: UA, AA, DL, B6, CX, KE, Latitude, VIFP, Crown & Anchor, etc.
54 years old MOB - Carnival Triumph / Galveston, TX - body recovered

Another MOB yesterday yesterday abroad the CCL's Triumph sailing on its return trip to Galveston, TX - onboard cameras reviewed confirmed that the 54 male pax went overboard. SAR was lanched with assist from Mexico authorities and this morning, the possible recovery of the missing is being reported, pending transport of the body to Mexico for positive ID before being released back to the US. Not a happy ending or positive outcome - thoughts & prayers
Followup details or news and debates continued on CruiseCritic, FT's counterpart ...

http://abc13.com/news/body-found-in-...veston/562958/
Old Mar 18, 2015, 12:42 pm

Programs: WN CP/AL, UA 1P, PC Plat, AA, DL, US, AK, HH, MR, OH, LQ, RD (thanks GSA City-Pair Prog/DTS)
Originally Posted by cruisr
Wow did this thread take a turn or what. I started reading from the most recent and thought I was in the wrong thread. Thread started about rescuing someone that fell off a ship and turned into a food/allergies and service thread.

No judgements here, just an observation.
Sorry, that would be me for responding to pseudoswede's post. Someday, the Cruise forum might have a separation by cruise lines, or at least dining from at sea rescues.
Old Mar 18, 2015, 3:46 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Silver, Bonvoy Gold, Hyatt Discoverist
Originally Posted by SCGustafson
Sorry, that would be me for responding to pseudoswede's post. Someday, the Cruise forum might have a separation by cruise lines, or at least dining from at sea rescues.
If I want some formality with cruise-related discussions, I'll go to Cruise Critic. I like the "freeform-ness" of this forum on a flying-related bulletin board.

But, yes, apologies for going way off-topic in this thread.
Old Mar 20, 2015, 8:46 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by SCGustafson
Originally Posted by pseudoswede
If I want some formality with cruise-related discussions, I'll go to Cruise Critic. I like the "freeform-ness" of this forum on a flying-related bulletin board.

But, yes, apologies for going way off-topic in this thread.
I believe I was the first poster who derailed the thread by asking about food. But then I am the OP of the thread so I think it is okay...right?
Old Apr 14, 2015, 1:51 am

Programs: UA MM / LT Gold (LT UC), DL SM, AA PLT (AC), OZ, KE; GE and Korean SES (like GE); Marriott Gold
Probably so. I have worked at hospitals where we had code words for emergencies so as not to frighten patients. For example, a fire in room 412 would be "Dr. Sun, go to Room 412". What I don't understand is: do ships really travel in such narrow lines as to be right behind another ship? I would think that someone falling off a ship would not likely be near the path of a following ship. So, the jumper was very lucky - almost to the point of a miracle.
Old Apr 14, 2015, 10:37 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Silver, Bonvoy Gold, Hyatt Discoverist
Originally Posted by relangford
"Dr. Sun, go to Room 412"
To totally derail this thread (again), there is a proctologist at a nearby hospital named Dr. Sun. He's also known as Dr. where-the-Sun-don't-shine.
Old Apr 14, 2015, 10:59 am

What I don't understand is: do ships really travel in such narrow lines as to be right behind another ship? I would think that someone falling off a ship would not likely be near the path of a following ship. So, the jumper was very lucky - almost to the point of a miracle.
Cruise ships especially I would say tend to be on pretty similar paths, especially depending on exactly where they're coming from and going. Two ships with the same previous and next ports are going to have a pretty close path to each other. If you search for sea lanes or shipping lanes, you'll find that large ships do tend to follow fairly established tracks. As I recall, this was fairly near Cozumel, and that area is actually pretty heavily trafficked by ships in general.
Old Apr 14, 2015, 1:28 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Finally back in Boston after escaping from New York
Originally Posted by pseudoswede
To totally derail this thread (again), there is a proctologist at a nearby hospital named Dr. Sun. He's also known as Dr. where-the-Sun-don't-shine.
That is absolutely, positively and totally worth derailing this thread (or, as the case may be, taking us off course).

Originally Posted by piper28
Cruise ships especially I would say tend to be on pretty similar paths, especially depending on exactly where they're coming from and going. Two ships with the same previous and next ports are going to have a pretty close path to each other. If you search for sea lanes or shipping lanes, you'll find that large ships do tend to follow fairly established tracks. As I recall, this was fairly near Cozumel, and that area is actually pretty heavily trafficked by ships in general.
From what I remember, we were very near port and not going particularly fast, if moving at all.

Mike
Old Apr 14, 2015, 8:00 pm

As I recall there's a fairly decent current through that area, so if he was in the water for a while, he probably drifted, so whether a ship was right on the same path or not might not matter.
Old Apr 15, 2015, 10:00 am

Programs: A3*G, UA Gold EY Silver
Probably so. I have worked at hospitals where we had code words for emergencies so as not to frighten patients. For example, a fire in room 412 would be "Dr. Sun, go to Room 412".

Inspector Sands
Old May 7, 2015, 10:27 am

Wow, that sounds insane!
I was on my first cruise last month and would find it almost impossible to spot someone in the water...
Old May 19, 2015, 3:45 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: SF CA USA. I love large faceless corporations. And they cherish me in return (sometimes). ;)
Programs: UA Premier Gold/disappointed 1MM, HH Gold, IHG Plat, MB Gold, BW Diam Sel
Originally Posted by mikeef
We've really gotta start a cruise Do list here. We were also on the ship!....
There already is a "Cruise meetup" thread pinned to the top of this (Cruises) forum. It's been there for 7+ years (since 2008).

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.