Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Cruises
Reload this Page >

Best Rhine River Cruise Line....

Old Nov 11, 2014, 5:33 pm
Original Poster

My wife and I are looking to take a 7 day cruise and Europe and would like to know:

Who are the best cruise lines?
What is the best way to book them (Travel agent or ??? or discount.

Without going into a lot of detail we are 50 but I have health issues so travel is arduous on me. For this reason the only way we travel (which isn't often) is first class all the way.

Thanks in advance....

Anthony
Old Nov 11, 2014, 10:26 pm

Programs: Holder of six "persona non-grata" awards
Have you looked here: http://uniworld.com/boutique-river-cruises/europe/2015

Travel agent will most likely get you better upgrades, etc.

Originally Posted by atwnsw2
My wife and I are looking to take a 7 day cruise and Europe and would like to know:

Who are the best cruise lines?
What is the best way to book them (Travel agent or ??? or discount.

Without going into a lot of detail we are 50 but I have health issues so travel is arduous on me. For this reason the only way we travel (which isn't often) is first class all the way.

Thanks in advance....

Anthony
Old Nov 12, 2014, 3:29 pm

I have heard that A-Rosa is good too.
Old Nov 12, 2014, 3:46 pm

You could also look into scenic cruises
Old Nov 13, 2014, 11:15 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Depending on the nature of your health issues, would a small river cruise or barge be appropriate? Mobility issues in going up and down stairs (the small boats won't generally have elevators) and proximity to good medical care would concern me, although the latter won't be a problem along most areas of the Rhine. [The thread title and OP don't seem to be asking the same question.]
Old Nov 13, 2014, 11:23 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

definitely talk to barge companies like belmond/orient express (re mobility)
Old Nov 16, 2014, 4:41 pm
Suspended

First of all I would recommend booking with a travel agency that is a major seller of river cruises. There are discounts of 15% off the price river cruises. The discounts do not apply to airfare which can be found online in most cases.

Uniworld is a true all inclusive company in that all your costs are included and that includes all alcoholic beverages at all times. Premium liquor does have a surcharge. Uniworld includes gratuities as well in their pricing. They truly are the only all inclusive river cruise company.

Viking which is the largest operator of river cruises, some 60 boats, is very popular (try to sail on one of their long ships). They include beer and wine with lunch and dinner.

Avalon, owned by Globus is also very popular and include beer and wine at lunch and dinner. They feature panoramic windows with the beds facing the shoreline, should you like to watch the shore from your bed.

AMA is another good brand and very popular. Again beer and wine included at meals. On some ships AMA has a specialty restaurant serving higher end cuisine.

A'Rosa is a German company trying very hard to crack the US market. Overall they have had a hard time as they split some of their sailings from all European to all US clients.

Scenic is close to all inclusive owned by Australian companies. If you are looking for a festive crowd you will have fun at the bar with the Aussies on the boat.

Every river cruise boat has a lounge and a dining room and cabins. Some have a small bar or other client convenience. Viking does not. Make sure you check to ensure there is an elevator on your boat.

At the end of the day what matters the most is what you enjoy then you should be matched with the same type of river cruise company.

<redacted business advertising / self-promotion deleted per Rules>

Last edited by JDiver; Nov 16, 2014 at 9:05 pm Reason: deleted prohibited advertising / solicitation
Old Nov 16, 2014, 8:35 pm
Moderator: American AAdvantage

Programs: AA LT Plat; HH LT Diamond, Maître-plongeur des Muccis
A genuinely top notch company doing European river cruises is Tauck.

They're more expensive, but their boats are truly excellent, everything including tips and transfers and land excursions is included, they have representatives aboard whose sole job is to be of assistance to passengers. Not only are all tours included, they go out of their way to make sure their tours are a cut or two above what others are offering at additional cost. I'd say Tauck's company policies and offerings mean Uniworld is NOT the "only all inclusive river cruise company".

The difference between Tauck and say, Viking River Cruises, is night and day. (In my experience, Viking chisels and nickel and dimes you to death, offers their house brand cheap wines and beer - and two additional paid tiers of wines and alcoholic beverages; they offer some included fairly short local walking tours and sell you lots of not inexpensive but fairly ordinary land tours.) By the time you're finished paying for it all, you've probably paid almost as much as you'd pay for a Tauck cruise, but received much less for your money.

I've done both, and in your situation I'd heartily recommend Tauck. They received Travel and Leisure's "Best River Cruise Line"award for 2014, and they're celebrating their 90th year in 2015 - no fly by night company .

Last edited by JDiver; Nov 16, 2014 at 9:07 pm Reason: corrections
Old Nov 16, 2014, 8:40 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
The Viking cruises I've seen in Germany do not seem like luxury at all. It would seem to the the antithesis of first class all the way.
Old Nov 16, 2014, 8:59 pm
Moderator: American AAdvantage

Programs: AA LT Plat; HH LT Diamond, Maître-plongeur des Muccis
Originally Posted by MSPeconomist
The Viking cruises I've seen in Germany do not seem like luxury at all. It would seem to the the antithesis of first class all the way.
Your impressions are quite correct. We took a Viking cruise down the Rhone, and "luxury" or "premium" do not describe them accurately at all. They are economical, but they add a plethora of "pay to play" options and "suggest" you tip local guides and drivers, crew, etc. etc.
Old Dec 2, 2014, 7:03 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by JDiver
Your impressions are quite correct. We took a Viking cruise down the Rhone, and "luxury" or "premium" do not describe them accurately at all. They are economical, but they add a plethora of "pay to play" options and "suggest" you tip local guides and drivers, crew, etc. etc.
+1.

Took a Viking cruise in Bordeaux 2 weeks ago. One of the worst experiences I've had on any product - cruising or otherwise.

I had to hold back laughter when people called it "luxury"...

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.