FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Cruises (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/cruises-179/)
-   -   Allure of the Seas Propulsion Issues-Feb 23, 2014 Sailing Cancelled (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/cruises/1521978-allure-seas-propulsion-issues-feb-23-2014-sailing-cancelled.html)

wrp96 Nov 15, 2013 2:46 pm

Allure of the Seas Propulsion Issues-Feb 23, 2014 Sailing Cancelled

RCCL's Allure of the Seas has been experiencing propulsion issues since early October, which has led to shorter port times on it's Eastern Caribbean itineraries due to needing more time to get between Nassau and St. Thomas.

To fix the issue, the ship is going into drydock in the Bahamas on Feb 24, 2014. As a result, the Feb 23rd, sailing has been cancelled.

http://www.royalcaribbean.com/alerts...ge_alert&rep=1

MJonTravel Nov 16, 2013 8:51 am

Great ship. Glad they're able to repair her close by.

wrp96 Nov 16, 2013 10:18 am

Originally Posted by MJonTravel (Post 21795293)
Great ship. Glad they're able to repair her close by.

I'm surprised they were. Original rumor was they were going to give Allure the Oasis dry dock space in Europe next year. Glad they didn't have to do that.

Was just on Oasis last week. As someone who said these ships were too big for me previously, I was very impressed.

DanJ Nov 16, 2013 6:33 pm

I think if this was something needing drydock, they probably would have taken it to Europe first, instead of Oasis. But I think they have determined this is something that can be fixed in the water, but just needs the time to do it. Unless of course, Freeport has a new drydock.

MJonTravel Nov 17, 2013 8:07 am

Originally Posted by wrp96 (Post 21795642)
As someone who said these ships were too big for me previously, I was very impressed.

I'm not exaggerating when I say our 2 weeks on Allure were probably our two finest RCL cruises. Perhaps the ship being pretty new with top notch crew had something to do with it....I'm sure it did. Maybe it was just having 2 full weeks to really wind down. But the experience, the shows, everything was just excellent. Frankly, the engineering behind the ship impresses me too.

Every time I hear someone who hasn't sailed on Oasis or Allure complain about the crowds, I smile. Allure holds the distinction of being the only ship on which I never had to hunt for a pool chair, and we were full both weeks. Things would get a little busy around the elevators after a show or outside the main dining room, but otherwise, I think RCL demonstrated how to handle a crowd on these ships. Of course, booking your shows, etc. in advance was something I found to be key in keeping us out of a line.

Rene23 Nov 17, 2013 2:30 pm

Originally Posted by MJonTravel (Post 21799478)
I'm not exaggerating when I say our 2 weeks on Allure were probably our two finest RCL cruises. Perhaps the ship being pretty new with top notch crew had something to do with it....I'm sure it did. Maybe it was just having 2 full weeks to really wind down. But the experience, the shows, everything was just excellent. Frankly, the engineering behind the ship impresses me too.

Every time I hear someone who hasn't sailed on Oasis or Allure complain about the crowds, I smile. Allure holds the distinction of being the only ship on which I never had to hunt for a pool chair, and we were full both weeks. Things would get a little busy around the elevators after a show or outside the main dining room, but otherwise, I think RCL demonstrated how to handle a crowd on these ships. Of course, booking your shows, etc. in advance was something I found to be key in keeping us out of a line.

I agree, we loved our cruise on the Allure. I'd love to try the Oasis, but what's holding me back is the itineraries offered. I know they are port-limited due to their size, but I'm really hoping they are able to change things up one day.

MJonTravel Nov 17, 2013 3:55 pm

I think some ports will eventually be added. Sometime around the holidays last year, Allure went to a port...I can't remember which one...that is not usually on the itinerary.

These ships are such destinations in and of themselves.... We were on for 14 days, and 7 days right in the middle (other than the turnaround in Lauderdale) we did not exit the ship. But I agree, a little variety every now and then would be nice.

wrp96 Nov 17, 2013 8:15 pm

Originally Posted by Rene23 (Post 21801305)
I agree, we loved our cruise on the Allure. I'd love to try the Oasis, but what's holding me back is the itineraries offered. I know they are port-limited due to their size, but I'm really hoping they are able to change things up one day.

Well Oasis is going to Europe next year if you are interested in different ports.;)