How important is the Cruise Insurance? [discussion and resources]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

How important is the Cruise Insurance? [discussion and resources]

Search this Thread

Old Mar 3, 2018, 9:13 pm

Originally Posted by slawecki
air transport for emergency. either health, or injury. i have no problem self insuring for most other instances. what is a cheap non-US med policy?
GeoBlue for non-US medical. American Express Travel Insurance (the build-your-own section, choosing only medical) for combined US and non-US medical, with medevac. Also, Geezer Couple above mentions MedjetAssist.

You can also price specifically for just the medical and medevac components of travel insurance at the comparison sites that have been mentioned:

TripInsuranceStore, InsureMyTrip, AardvarkCompare, SquareMouth, and InsuBuy

Last edited by Newbie2FT; Mar 5, 2018 at 11:18 am
Old Mar 4, 2018, 3:08 am

Google "view from the wing amex platinum medical evacuation insurance may 10, 2017".
This compelling story is the reason I carry the Amex Platinum world wide although I almost never use the card. The amazing thing about this coverage is that you DO NOT need to purchase your trip with the card.
Old Mar 4, 2018, 4:03 am

Originally Posted by bigbuy
Google "view from the wing amex platinum medical evacuation insurance may 10, 2017".
This compelling story is the reason I carry the Amex Platinum world wide although I almost never use the card. The amazing thing about this coverage is that you DO NOT need to purchase your trip with the card.
Unfortunately, it's a little more complicated than that.

First, simply being an Amex Platinum cardholder or having that card in your wallet is not enough to receive Amex medical or medevac coverage. The trip must be purchased with the Amex card and/or Amex points.

This was the case in the View From the Wing article: "Reader Arthur‘s parents were in Singapore on an award trip he helped to book using Membership Rewards points transferred to Singapore Airlines Krisflyer. Taxes were paid with his father’s American Express Platinum card."

Amex Platinum terms:
Travel Accident Insurance

"To be covered, you must pay the Entire Fare for travel on a Common Carrier (e.g. plane, train, ship, or bus) with your eligible Card. Entire Fare means the full fare cost for a Covered Trip on a Common Carrier. You can use your Basic or Additional Card Member's American Express Card or in combination with American Express Membership Rewards® Points or American Express Pay with Points program for the entire fare. If you use another form of payment or frequent flyer miles or points from another program to pay for all or part of the fare, you will not be covered."

Second, since September 2017, the policy explicitly no longer covers heart attack or stroke (which was the subject of the article):

EXCLUSIONS
This Plan does not cover any loss for which coverage sought was directly or indirectly, wholly or partially, contributed to or caused by:
8. stroke or cerebrovascular accident or event; cardiovascular accident or event; myocardial infarction or heart attack; coronary thrombosis; aneurysm; deep vein thrombosis.
It's questionable whether it did even prior to September 2017, because it excluded "sickness" -- but apparently Amex decided not to fight it:

EXCLUSIONS
This Policy does not cover any loss caused or contributed to by, directly or indirectly, wholly or partially:
7. sickness, physical or mental infirmity, pregnancy, or any medical or surgical treatment for such conditions, unless treatment of the condition is required as thedirect result of an Injury.
That $275,000 medevac in April 2017 discussed in the article might have pushed Amex to change the terms by September.

Last edited by Newbie2FT; Mar 4, 2018 at 4:18 am
Old Mar 4, 2018, 5:23 am

I had previously read that even though they paid the taxes with the card, it was not necessary according to some other blogs.
Thanks for the updates^. I do carry additional annual medical evacuation insurance capped at $250k plus the chase reserve with $100k limit as my international travel is extensive.
Old Mar 4, 2018, 1:51 pm

I had previously read that even though they paid the taxes with the card, it was not necessary according to some other blogs.
Thanks for the updates^. I do carry additional annual medical evacuation insurance capped at $250k plus the chase reserve with $100k limit as my international travel is extensive.
I would agree that it's unclear whether taxes and fees technically need to be paid with the Amex card. Are taxes and fees part of the "full fare"? The policy definition is not explicit on this point.

But if Amex tried to deny $200,000+ of coverage to a Platinum cardholder because ~$80 of taxes on a flight already funded by Amex Points was not placed on that card, they know that many Plat members would raise hell, alert the media, and file a lawsuit over the meaning of the term.

And in this case, that likely would have happened. Apparently the same Arthur successfully challenged fuel surcharges on an award ticket, as discussed in a 2012 VFTW post. He also appears to be a regular commenter on the site in general.

Given how much he appears to spend in general on that card, Amex's Assurance Company probably would have decided it was better to pay than fight it, given the negative publicity (and they may have some sort of re-insurance arrangement to defray the costs).

In the end, though, cardholders making sure that the $50 or $100 of taxes and fees is charged to the same benefit-level of card that originated the points is obviously the much safer route.
Old Mar 7, 2018, 1:42 am

Really good info newbie. Thanks!
Newbie2FT likes this.

Last edited by bigbuy; Mar 19, 2018 at 2:42 am
Old Mar 19, 2018, 2:43 am

In the American Express thread "Medical Evacuation Benefit with USA Platinum?" read post #86
Old Mar 20, 2018, 11:55 pm

In the American Express thread "Medical Evacuation Benefit with USA Platinum?" read post #86
Ah, you're right. This benefit ("Premium Global Assist Hotline") is somewhat hidden, as it's only given two brief sentences of vague description on the general benefits page and it's referred to as just a 'Hotline'.

But the Global Assist terms do spell out that it offers "medical evacuation ... at no cost ... to a more appropriate medical facility ... near the person's home" -- if the evacuation is "authorized and arranged through the Premium Global Assist Hotline Program."

(As noted in the comments to a TPG article, this makes it very important that all your travel companions know -- in advance -- that medical evacuation must be coordinated through Amex, in case you are left unconscious and can't communicate this information when you fall sick or injured.)

On the other hand, it does not cover a pre-existing condition: "any sickness, illness, or injury that has manifested itself, become acute, or was being treated in the 60 day period immediately prior to the start of a trip."

Also, the benefit "does not cover medical expenses", except for those incurred during transport.

So overall, it does look like a great deal as a substitute for a MedjetAssist policy or the evacuation component of a travel medical policy, especially for domestic trips that are not covered by GeoBlue, etc.

Last edited by Newbie2FT; Mar 21, 2018 at 12:10 am

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.