Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Injured on Cruise

Search this Thread

Old May 28, 2013, 10:47 pm
Original Poster

Injured on Cruise

I came back from a cruise and on one night I slipped in the restroom(there were maintenance issues) and there was no sign that the restroom was closed or had a wet floor. As I was going to the sink I slipped and hit the wall and ground really hard. Right away I called the front desk and then went to the medical center where they diagnosed me with a contusion after an x-ray.

It was hard to enjoy the cruise after that. I asked for a massage but the medical staff advised against it. They first offered 10 percent Future Cruise Credit which I declined then they offered 20 percent which I declined too because it was really hard to move as some days were ok and others I was in pain.

So when I got home I wrote a letter to the corporate office telling them about the situation and how it was hard to enjoy the cruise due to the injury. I asked them to compensate for any medical dr's as well as another cruise. Thus could be a lifelong or long time injury. I'm hoping they will comply as they want to make their passengers happy.

Did I do well by documenting the case, having a copy of the X-Ray on a CD and refusing the low future cruise credits offered. 20 percent is barely anything off a $ 700 per person cruise+airfare for a 15 night cruise. I could not participate in a lot of activities.

Any advice on how to proceed is most appreciative. Do I need to refer to a Maritime Lawyer who practices injury law? Would you be doing the same under similar circumstances? I hope I'm not overreacting because an injury caused by poor maintenance(I fell in what felt like liquid to clean the floor or a leak you could not see a puddle) does not bode well with me.

Thanks
Old May 28, 2013, 11:02 pm
Suspended

Programs: Too many to list
Truly amazing, why is it always someone elses fault. You slipped, people slip everyday. Yet in this day and age its all about how much money can I get. You had a bruise and yes these can hurt but be glad you are not paralyzed from the neck down. If you were that bad why didnt you request to be off loaded in order to seek better medical care. Sorry but to me seems like you are simply looking for a another free trip
Old May 28, 2013, 11:08 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA 1K, AA EXP; Owner, Green Bay Packers
Are you OK, OP? That is the important thing. Has your contusion (bruise) faded?
Old May 29, 2013, 12:13 am

Programs: AS 75k, UA peon, BA Bronze, AC E50k, Marriott Plat, HH Diamond, Fairmont Plat (RIP)
I'm sorry you fell. I'm sure it impacted your vacation and I sincerely hope you are fine now but c'mon, it's a bruise! When did we become such a litigeous society where the first thing we think about when something untoward happens is how much compensation we can get? A contusion is a bruise. If you had a concussion or worse, ok fine. But a bruise? (And I would certainly suggest having your own doctor review the x-ray to confirm as I worked on a cruise ship and wouldn't go to a ship's doctor unless I was missing a limb or hemorrhaging and maybe not even then. But that's another story). But you had a contusion and, likely, a pretty bad headache. Get over it and move on.
Old May 29, 2013, 12:53 am

Programs: Bonvoy LTTE/AMB, AmEx Plat, National EE, WN A-List, CLEAR+, Covid-19
Well, based on the responses so far, my faith in FT is restored.
Old May 29, 2013, 7:44 am
In Memoriam

Programs: ua prem exec, Former hilton diamond
A wet floor in a restroom on a cruise ship where people are running around in wet bathing suits.

Who would have guessed?
Old May 29, 2013, 8:56 am

Originally Posted by mayodave
Truly amazing, why is it always someone elses fault. You slipped, people slip everyday. Yet in this day and age its all about how much money can I get. You had a bruise and yes these can hurt but be glad you are not paralyzed from the neck down. If you were that bad why didnt you request to be off loaded in order to seek better medical care. Sorry but to me seems like you are simply looking for a another free trip
+1!!!
I had a retail business and got sued for slip and falls about 3 times per year. I finally started telling folks who wanted to sue me to take a number and stand in line.

Last edited by bigbuy; May 30, 2013 at 2:32 am
Old May 29, 2013, 9:02 am

Programs: AS 75k, UA peon, BA Bronze, AC E50k, Marriott Plat, HH Diamond, Fairmont Plat (RIP)
Originally Posted by kennycrudup
I think we all expressed concern that s/he was ok and that we were sorry it happened but the first thing the OP did on returnig home was not seek medical attention (or if they did, it was not mentioned and should have been) but instead '...when I got home I wrote a letter to the corporate office telling them about the situation and how it was hard to enjoy the cruise due to the injury. I asked them to compensate for any medical dr's as well as another cruise. Thus could be a lifelong or long time injury. I'm hoping they will comply as they want to make their passengers happy".

If the person was truly injured or concerned that this could be a 'lifelong injury', then proper medical assessment and care would be the only concerning issue right now and working on their 'case' (their word) would not be the first thing they did. All it seems they are looking for is a way to profit from this ('...refer to a Maritime Lawyer'). That's what I think we are responding to - the seeking out of compensation for what seems by their account, to be a relatively minor injury, a bruise.

Last edited by Finkface; May 29, 2013 at 9:09 am
Old May 29, 2013, 9:06 am

Programs: Bonvoy LTTE/AMB, AmEx Plat, National EE, WN A-List, CLEAR+, Covid-19
Originally Posted by Finkface
...That's what I think we are responding to.
You misunderstand; I'm agreeing with you guys and the common-sense replies (which is somewhat surprising, actually ).
Old May 29, 2013, 9:08 am

You misunderstand; I'm agreeing with you guys and the common-sense replies (which is somewhat surprising, actually ).
Sorry, Kenny. My mistake. I thought you meant we weren't being our usual supportive selves
Old May 29, 2013, 10:14 am

Programs: No Loyalty to any airline
I am sorry you fell OP, but honestly, did anyone read any of the OP's other posts. Especially:

I have a low vision as well as a back condition

Could your poor vision or back condition have contributed to this fall? I guarantee if you start legal proceedings, the cruise line will find out about this and bring it up.

You also have several posts discussing your current/future travel, and it appears this injury is not hampering you with that.

Read your cruise contract. The cruise line pretty much has all the rights. You've posted information in a public place that will hurt your case. I'd add you probably will have difficulty finding an attorney to take this case, but I think you can find an attorney that will do anything.
Old May 29, 2013, 11:15 am

Programs: AA EXP, AAirpass, & CK 2MM, MR Plat Premier, DL Plat, US Plat, UA RECOVERING GS
Perhaps you could use the same lawyer you contacted to sue US for leaving you alone in the terminal for 5 minutes?

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/us-ai...ident-phx.html
Old May 29, 2013, 11:22 am
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Yep... what's one more request for compensation.
Old May 29, 2013, 11:23 am

Programs: No Loyalty to any airline
Originally Posted by DillMan
Perhaps you could use the same lawyer you contacted to sue US for leaving you alone in the terminal for 5 minutes?

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/us-ai...ident-phx.html
After reading this in the linked post, I highly advise you again OP to take compensation offered and move along:

Sometimes I get disoriented due to the blurred vision and I could have slipped and fallen due to the strong medication I take in my eye

For those with too much time on their hands, here's another fun post:

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/4252694-post5.html

More here:

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/south...-list-etc.html

My favorite quote from OP, just a classic, from this thread:

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/check...customs-2.html

If you are trying to cheat the system then shame on you(:.

Last edited by 6rugrats; May 29, 2013 at 11:34 am
Old May 29, 2013, 11:42 am

Programs: AA Plat
[QUOTE=RTW1;20830694]Yep... what's one more request for compensation.[/[/I]

It is too bad that That the insurance companies don't sue more of these axxhxxxs that can't take care of themselves. I would not be surprised if your (incident) was captured on surveillance.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.