Wiki Posts
Search

Antarctica Cruise Clothing Advice

Search this Thread

Old Dec 20, 2012, 9:09 am
Original Poster

Programs: DL-DM, 2MM; AA,QF,UA, WN. Every imaginable hotel program
Antarctica Cruise Clothing Advice

Will be going on an "Antarctica" Cruise in Feb on Celebrity with a stop in the Falkland Islands.

Clothing advice would be most welcome...should we expect it to be really cold, requiring heavy duty winter gear such as long underwear and down parkas? Since we'll also be doing a post-cruise visit to Iguazu (hot, I assume) and lugging everything with us, I'd like to pack as light as possible, but I don't want to pack stupid and unprepared. Then there is the need to be prepared for the "formal" nights aboard ship...

Suggestions/Recommendations will be appreciated.
Old Dec 20, 2012, 11:10 am

Originally Posted by DLFan2
Will be going on an "Antarctica" Cruise in Feb on Celebrity with a stop in the Falkland Islands.

Clothing advice would be most welcome...should we expect it to be really cold, requiring heavy duty winter gear such as long underwear and down parkas? Since we'll also be doing a post-cruise visit to Iguazu (hot, I assume) and lugging everything with us, I'd like to pack as light as possible, but I don't want to pack stupid and unprepared. Then there is the need to be prepared for the "formal" nights aboard ship...

Suggestions/Recommendations will be appreciated.
Not sure the exact route that you're doing, but if it is sailing down the Antarctic peninsula, then I'd expect to need pretty decent cold weather gear. When we went around Cape Horn (ours only went this far, didn't do the Antarctic), we had what was considered pretty good weather, and it was somewhat sleet/snow/rain, with a fair amount of wind, and spending time on deck for a while definitely would get cold. Personally I'd assume you're going to want them.

Whether you make it to the Falklands or not could be a bit iffy, since Argentina is really causing a lot of trouble about that right now.
Old Dec 20, 2012, 4:39 pm
In Memoriam

Programs: aa plt 4.9MM LTAC
check w/the cruise line re what they provide, if anything....i guess its a big ship, so prob nada...

layers are in order, but you can go in & out....will there be shore trips on the ice?....
Old Dec 20, 2012, 5:13 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: FB Silver going for Gold
In addition to layers mentioned, I'd bring a hat or toque (60% heat loss through the head) that can also cover your ears, a fleece scarf, fleece layer for at least your torso if not legs too, warm thermal socks, boots, (not the breathable type that lets wind in), and of course wind/water proof jacket and pants. Wind is what is going to make you feel cold.
Old Dec 26, 2012, 10:15 am

Programs: Marriott (Lifetime Titantium), whatever other programs as benefits make sense.
Not been to Antarctica yet, but was in southern Chile and Argentina in their summer, and found it cold! I was in Patagonia in January, and despite being summer, I ended up wearing most of what I had with me in layers. I tried buying a pair of waterproof trousers down there, and they were awful and expensive. Much better to bring stuff you know is good.
Old Dec 26, 2012, 10:42 pm
Moderator: American AAdvantage

Programs: AA LT Plat; HH LT Diamond, Maître-plongeur des Muccis
I imagine there won't be too many landings, given the size of the ship?

In any case, if RIB landings are included, high rubber boots for wet landings with insulated insides or / and wool socks. Layers for all clothing. Waterproof outer layer. Gloves. Toque. Dark glasses. What YVR Cockroach said. If they aren't still be prepared for windy cold weather at times, so if you want to be on deck with binoculars, be prepared (but take grippy soled shoes instead of boots).

On a 22 day South Georgia / Antarctic expedition (much smaller vessel) we encountered it all, from sunny 30s (fantail barbecue with Ghurkas at Grytviken) to powerful katabatic winds, sleet to snow, you name it.

You might encounter wind, snow, very cold rain, sunshine... or all of the above - and you may well encounter some very serious winds and swells going and returning, so be sure to take penty of your anti-nausea treatments ( ginger works, check with your doctor about use of the scopolamine patch, etc.)
Old Dec 28, 2012, 12:55 pm

I run the site www.cruisemates.com and I took an arctic cruise. Since the Anytarctic now limits access to ships below a certain size I would assume most cruises down there fall into the expedition category.

Here is an excerpt I wrote concerning any kind of polar cruise, especially if it involves going off the ship in Zodiacs:

Expedition Cruise Dress and Preparedness

If you are now thinking about a Polar expedition cruise do not skip this part. It is extremely important to have the right waterproof clothing. Most important, you should wear these clothes every time you leave the ship because you never know when you might encounter conditions where you get soaked. Please heed the following advice very carefully.

Almost all land access is made in rubber boats called Zodiacs; small expedition ships generally do not use covered tenders for sightseeing. Please note that it is very important that you get specific instructions on what to buy for protective clothing and the following is just a general guide, not an official list for clothing. You need rubber boots that fit over your shoes (many ships provide them but you need to verify this, the best are Wellington-style), waterproof pants that fit over your regular pants and boot tops, a waterproof parka with attached hood and waterproof gloves. Be careful when buying gloves because many look waterproof but they are not. Ideally, you should have something to cover your mouth and nose and sunglasses for your eyes. Yes, you thought I was kidding about these conditions but I am not. What you will experience with anything less can be extremely uncomfortable.

I interviewed Chuck (Cross of PolarExpeditions.com) for 90 minutes and he told me he never takes any client on an polar expedition without speaking to them personally first, just as we spoke, about the importance of having the right gear. Sadly, Svalbard was my first expedition cruise and no one had prepared us and we suffered as a result. We were not alone; we saw many passengers who had not been adequately prepared.

"The general rule of these voyages is that you have to ready for anything at any time," Chuck said. "I try to get my guests awake by 7:00, eating at 8:00 and on their first expedition at 9:00 a.m. Each day generally has two expeditions, before and after lunch. You never know when you will sight a whale or walrus, and if you do you must be there immediately. They won't wait around for you."

Read more: http://www.cruisemates.com/articles/...es-091310.cfm#
Old Dec 30, 2012, 3:45 pm
Original Member

Programs: AS, UA, HY, Hil, Merr
You can make it much as you wish.

We were 3 days in antarctica on Holland American. We spent many late nights and most of the days on our balcony. YOU will need everything you can wear. Also remember your camera will need to be bundled up too. Trips back into the cabin to warm up the camera will be required. Food deliveries were useful.

Alternatively...you can wimp it out in a lounge, Lido or ? and take you viewing and pictures thru the windows.

We did Santiago to Rio. Most of the rest of the time some "heavies" for shore excurisons were plenty. Many places, West side of SA and RIO, were darn right hot.

You can review our trip report (search under ranles) for the written parts, but the pictures are no longer accessable, while an acquisition by SMILEs takes place...this will probably mean the pictures are gone forever.

Happy travels
Old Jan 6, 2013, 4:07 am

In my view, a Celebrity ship isn't really right for these waters. You need the smallest ship you can get, an expedition cruise ship, with about 100 pax and equipped with zodiac landing craft so you can get seriously close to the ice, water and wildlife. These ships - such as the Lindblad Explorer, Silversea's Silver Explorer or the Australian-owned Orion - are the best way to see Antarctica as well as islands such as South Georgia and the Falklands. On the Falklands last year we were on New Island and literally had albatrosses walking over our feet. I could get an extreme close-up with a 28mm lens. My ship was the Island Sky and we had sailed to the Falklands from Tristan da Cunha. However, weather in Port Stanley was amazingly sunny and hot so we walked around in polo shirts!

These ships provide top-end parkas for passengers which are then yours to keep. You will also need a fleece, thermal underwear and (most importantly) rubber wellington boots for wet landings/wading ashore on beaches.
Old Jan 12, 2013, 2:10 pm

Programs: Plat QFF, Gold AA, Silverseas Venetian.
I have been to the Arctic and Antarctica both on expedition ships.
A couple of things you definitely need even if you are only on deck are a good parka ( supplied both times by the boat ) a fleece hat that covers your ears and forehead, a neck gaiter, thermal socks, and gloves.

I found these gloves fantastic - you can take photos/use your camera without taking the gloves off !

http://www.freehands.com/recycled-fleece-mens/
Old Jan 12, 2013, 6:47 pm

Programs: BA Gold, LH Senator, SPG Gold
Simply dress like you'd do when going to Canada or Scandinavia during the winter and add some extra water/windproof layers for the possible wind & rain.

It's not cold in Antarctica coast during their summer but the wind, humidity and wet weather can make you feel uncomfortable.

Cross' Polar Cruises was mentioned earlier. They don't do the expeditions, they just book other people's cruises. No doubt they've been to the trips a number of times and know their business but when we booked our trip, we never spoke with them about the dress code and after paying the trip, it was more like radio silence. We arrived to Ushuaia without any information what to do next.

Never again that way, I highly recommend booking directly with the expedition.
Old Jan 20, 2013, 10:17 am

Some shops in Ushuaia rents Antarctica gear. Not more than US$ 100 in total for 10-12 days.
Old Jan 25, 2013, 8:12 am

Ojala, I called Polar Cruises this week, assuming it would be the best resource. Mr. Cross acted like he was doing me the biggest of favors and even made a few borderline snarky remarks. That was before I put my money down which, needless to say, I didn't. Bullet dodged.

Last edited by Mickidon; Jan 25, 2013 at 8:25 am Reason: To correct a name

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.