Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Are there cheap last minute cruises?

Search this Thread

Old Jan 15, 2013, 4:38 am

Originally Posted by MiamiFlyer
Very good advice above, but sometimes there are exceptions

Last week, booked the Liberty of the Seas 4/8 for 12 nights FLL-BCN. The doubles price was down to $369, and the single supplement was only $159, or $528 for the cabin. If you belong to Crown&Anchor, there was also a savings certificate for $115 off the price, bringing it down to $413. Apply a future cruise deposit and they added a $150 OBC as well. If you're a Diamond or higher level, they throw in 3.5 happy hours every night - that's a value I can't pass up.

However, if you snooze, you lose. I check almost every morning for the deals, and limit myself to just two cruise lines nowadays - it still takes me an hour plus.
It could not have been more cheaper than this.. i have gone on same trip few time back and paid twice the amount you mentioned here... I'm ridiculous
Old Feb 15, 2013, 12:38 am

That booking for Liberty sounds AWESOME.

I leave on the 21st (6 days!) for the Liberty! We embark for 4 nights,and stop in Cozumel, for TWO people (4 days) I paid $800 including taxes and $100 OC... You got a hell of a deal, I wish I was as good at searching deals!
Old Mar 8, 2013, 1:35 am

Programs: BD, AA, BA, CO Marriott Plat>gold, Hyatt Diamond>Plat,Hilton Gold SPG Gold PC Plat
The late deals are out there last weekend we booked for April 13, a deck 10 balcony on the Brilliance of the Seas from San Juan to Lisbon 10 nights. Cost with past passenger discount was $358pp could have booked a balcony guarantee for $308pp. No OBC due to the low low cost. This cruise will take us to within touching distance of Diamond status.
Old Mar 13, 2013, 12:34 pm

Programs: Amex Plat, SPG Gold, HH Gold, AA Plat
Could someone recommend some good TA for cruise?
I live in Houston and thinking about booking a short cruise trip for my parents. Probably depart from Port Galveston. I understand the choices are very limited, but would greatly appreciate if anyone could offer some tips.

Thanks!
Old Mar 13, 2013, 1:47 pm

Programs: UA, AA, DL, B6, CX, KE, Latitude, VIFP, Crown & Anchor, etc.
Originally Posted by Mooey
I live in Houston and thinking about booking a short cruise trip for my parents. Probably depart from Port Galveston. I understand the choices are very limited, but would greatly appreciate if anyone could offer some tips. Thanks!
I recommend cruisecritic dot com as the site for you to start your reading, research & planning - it's our favorite vacation mode these days as flying used to be fun, et. al.

TA = transatlantic cruises are NOT considered short cruises, and definitely not out of Galveston, TX - those that leave from ports like Miami are usually shorter, to as little as 7 to 10 days. You are looking at Royal Caribbean, Disney & Princess lines - typically 15+ days with fixed sailing dates, when the ships are being REPO(sitioned) seasonally between home ports for colder & warmer climate.

If you aren't looking to book specific category, flexible with cabin class, have FT miles to used (one-way to or from Europe) and can travel on short notice for 10 to 15 days and keep an open mind on what's available on a last minute sale basis, bargains do come along - maybe 2 to 6 weeks before actually sailing as the cruise operators/travel agencies are ready to fill out their remaining inventory of unsold cabins - an empty cabin for 15 nights is zero income for the line and for the crew members as they depend mostly on tips. TA's are usually not sold-out so patience is needed in this waiting game, knowing that it might not work out if the remaining cabins are gone without notice (a last minute charter/sponsored group or given away to agents/crew family members at a discount, etc.)

RCI has a 15 nights TA leaving Galveston on April 21, disembarking at Barcelona - fares with taxes for 2 adults for an inside cabin (160 sq.ft.) is about $1,200 now, plus tips for the crews, about $12/night x 15 nights x 2 - or $360. Rates for an oceanview is much higher - closer to $2,000 plus tips. Considering all the main dining room/buffet meals & food as being inclusive, alcohol and wine are extra like soda - it's still a bargain.

TA crossing is typically 5 nights and the risks for rough seas & stormy weather are greater but ships can often outrun & go around - but your sea legs will not be on dry land for the duration, load up on Kindle/Nook & a dozen good DVD's as internet is very pricey.
Old Mar 13, 2013, 1:47 pm
In Memoriam

Programs: aa plt 4.9MM LTAC
Originally Posted by Mooey
I live in Houston and thinking about booking a short cruise trip for my parents. Probably depart from Port Galveston. I understand the choices are very limited, but would greatly appreciate if anyone could offer some tips.

Thanks!
vacationstogo.com can show you the cruises from there.....easy to use....

cruisecritic is also useful....
Old Mar 20, 2013, 12:17 pm

Programs: BD, AA, BA, CO Marriott Plat>gold, Hyatt Diamond>Plat,Hilton Gold SPG Gold PC Plat
I think mooey is looking for a TA = Travel Agent not a TA = Transatlantic cruise
Old Mar 20, 2013, 1:25 pm

Programs: Delta Platinum, HH Diamond, , AA Gold, Bonvoy Titaniu
The only benefit (IMO) to booking a cruise through a TA is price discounting (sometimes this is the form of on board credit, specialty meals or pre-paid gratuities). I have never received any useful info from a TA that I couldn't find more easily on the internet.
So, I recommend the TA that quotes you the lowest all in price. I find it is easiest to located that TA through a site like CruiseCompete.com
Old Apr 23, 2013, 8:14 am
Original Member

Programs: AA-EXP (15yrs) 3+MM , exDLPlt, exCOPlt, Cruiseaholic (250+)
Originally Posted by DeirdreTours
The only benefit (IMO) to booking a cruise through a TA is price discounting (sometimes this is the form of on board credit, specialty meals or pre-paid gratuities). I have never received any useful info from a TA that I couldn't find more easily on the internet.
So, I recommend the TA that quotes you the lowest all in price. I find it is easiest to located that TA through a site like CruiseCompete.com
I used CruCon for awhile, but was very unhappy with their service and response level - back to VacationsToGo.com when I do use a T/A.

T/A's sometimes can pull an upgrade the cruise line won't give you, also sometimes onboard parties or discount or complimentary something. It's also very difficult to get pricing on a "single" without using a T/A or going through the cruise line web engines.

BTW, the cruise on the Liberty was fantastic, just back from Barcelona. Next victim is the Constellation May 5 from FLL to AMS - not quite as cheap, but still about $56 a night. Good thing about Celebrity is the special breakfast every morning - the party starts promptly at 8 am if you're Elite on them, or Diamond or higher on RCCL.

Check out Alaska cruises right now - I've seen them for as low as $299 recently
Old Apr 30, 2013, 9:07 pm

Originally Posted by DeirdreTours
The TA that I have used for my last few cruises is one that I originally found through cruisecompete. It is a cruise-only agency and I've used the same person each time. No hand-holding when using an online TA, but I don't really need that, I just want reliability, and OBC. I haven't used Costco travel myself (aside from rental cars), but I know people who have and were happy with them.
Old May 13, 2013, 8:18 am

Programs: AA-EXP & 1MM+, AS, MR-LTT, HH Gold
Nice read for a novice

When exactly is considered as "re-positioning period" for TATL cruises?
Old May 13, 2013, 9:03 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA
Originally Posted by allset2travel
Nice read for a novice

When exactly is considered as "re-positioning period" for TATL cruises?
April/early May for eastbound sailings (North/South America to Europe). The ships need to be in Europe by the time the sailing season begins there - earlier for the Med, later for Northern Europe.

Late August-November for Westbound (Europe to North/South America). Late August/September is usually the northern itineraries, usually to get ships in position for Canada/New England sailings. October to November is typically the Europe to Caribbean/South America sailings.

Transpacific sailings are usually the reverse. Typically ships will spend the winters in Asia/Oceania and then come back to the US for the Alaska season from May to September.

There are some exceptions. QM2 will frequently do sailings back and forth all winter. And then you'll find the occasional one off itinerary, either as part of a World Cruise or a special itinerary. For example, RCCL's Oasis of the Seas is doing an eastbound transatlantic in September 2014 and then the westbound back in October 2014 - she's going over to Europe for technical work/drydock that can't be done in the western hemisphere.

Last edited by wrp96; May 20, 2013 at 10:44 am
Old May 20, 2013, 9:39 am

Programs: AAdvantage, Miles & Smiles (TK0) and others
What is the recommended time frame for stalking last minute cruises? I figure 2-4 weeks. I'm particularly interested in a late season cruise in and around the Mediterranean.
Old May 20, 2013, 11:05 am

I have used www.tourtheseas.com was referred by a friend and have used them for our last 3 cruises. Very helpful with discounts applied when booking. We have also done our excursions there due to them being a little cheaper than others.
Old Jun 16, 2013, 8:38 pm

Originally Posted by MoreMilesPlease
look on www.vacationstogo.com they have a 90 day ticker that shows what's available in the next 90 days or less. Always make sure and look directly on the cruise website before booking anywhere else. Sometimes the prices are no different and booking directly with the cruise line is much less hassle.
We booked a 14 day RT cruise on Sapphire Princess two weeks ago on VTG. Got it for $799 pp. Since we also own Carnival stock, we are also getting $250 in shipboard credit. We booked an OV gty room. If you can travel with pretty short notice, you can easily get a week in Alaska for under $400 pp for a week.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.