Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Cruises
Reload this Page >

C&I when leaving Europe on a TATL voyage?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Sep 17, 2012, 6:42 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: FB Silver going for Gold

At which port is customs and immigration done when leaving Europe on a TATL voyage bound for North America? Say if the cruise ship leaves from Italy and stops in Spain, France and/or Portugal along the way (all countries in the Schengen zone), is customs (for duty/tax refunds) at the last port in the E.U. or port of embarkation? Similarly, what about passport control? My wife will be entering the E.U. with a passport where she wont be stamped going in (or out) but will present a different passport to the cruise line to make it easier for the drones uuuhh staff on board.

Not as easy/clear as air travel where customs stamping for duty/tax refunds is at the last E.U. airport.
Old Sep 18, 2012, 8:38 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA
You won't have an immigration/customs check on departure from Europe - so at none of your ports.

Check at your last Schengen zone port to see if they have an office at the pier to do the VAT refund for you.
Old Sep 18, 2012, 10:30 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

The no passport control/customs thing is what consistent I've been hearing so I won't be buying much. Would have been nice just in case there was something.

Last part of call in the E.U. for my cruise is one of the Azores and that stop might be cancelled in the event of rough weather (lifeboat shuttle port).
Old Sep 23, 2012, 9:15 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Silver, EI Silver, HH Gold, BW Gold, ABP, Seigneur des Horaires des Mucci
Not sure if the Azores are in the EU VAT zone.
Old Nov 21, 2012, 10:06 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Just back. No passport control on the way out but customs officers at the Azores stop did come aboard for 1 hour (or were supposed to have, I didn't need to get anything stamped) before sailing.

Azores is in the EU VAT zone but apparently charge a lower rate. Not that there is too much to buy (island we stopped at and what savings there are are probably eaten up by higher transportation costs).
Old Nov 22, 2012, 1:53 am

Programs: QF Gold, WY Gold
Customs and Immigration on a cruise ship in Europe tends to appear non-existance to passengers, however is normally completed discretely with officials coming onboard in each port in europe (regardless of going from Schengen to Schengen). There is a final clearance outward form the Schengen zone at the last port, but again this is very discrete. Tax reclaims can be done at this point, but isn't always advised to guests. Like many ports where Customs and Immigration occurs discretely, if there is anyone who flags up on the crewlist which is sent to each port upto 48 hours prior, then those people will be attended to.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.