Wiki Posts
Search

Advice on cruise in December

Search this Thread

Old Jul 28, 2011, 12:41 pm
Original Poster

Programs: TK G,UA *S
Advice on cruise in December

I was looking for a cruise from Miami or San Juan around 25, 26 december.
As far as I can see the fares to SJU are really high....and cannot find any route that could be cheaper...

As I have some CO vouchers I would like to stick with COUA

Any sugestions for other beach destinations? HNL?

Can depart from MEX,GDL,BJX,SLP

Thx,
Old Jul 28, 2011, 1:49 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, Marriott Plat, Hilton Diamond, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by flymexico2010
I was looking for a cruise from Miami or San Juan around 25, 26 december.
As far as I can see the fares to SJU are really high....and cannot find any route that could be cheaper...

As I have some CO vouchers I would like to stick with COUA

Any suggestions for other beach destinations? HNL?

Can depart from MEX,GDL,BJX,SLP

Thx,
Are you looking for a cruise or a cheap flight to a port from which to cruise?
Old Jul 29, 2011, 1:11 am

Programs: AA Gold, DL Gold, Marriott Platinum, Hilton Gold, Starwood Gold, too many cruise programs to list
Unfortunately, the week between Christmas and New Year (and dates just prior to Christmas due to extended one off itineraries over the holidays) tend to be the most expensive for cruising. While the days around Thanksgiving may be the traditional busiest of the year for flying, Christmas week is very close behind.

If you do choose to cruise that week, just know you're going to be paying quite a bit more than the weeks immediately preceeding or following. Quite festive onboard the ships, but need the patience of Job getting there.
Old Jul 29, 2011, 3:59 am

Programs: UA-GS,1.95MM, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Titanium, Hyatt Explorer
BurBunny speaketh the truth! The cruise would almost have to be free for me to embark on that! Everyone is on vacation and everyone wants to fit everything in during that week!!
Old Jul 29, 2011, 10:09 am
Original Poster

Thanks for advice. I know a cruise is double price during Christmas....

Maybe I should try a cruise in Thanksgiving week which is a little bit cheaper....and yes I was looking for reasonable priced flights to MIA or SJU for a cruise...

Or maybe a beach destination for Christmas week departing the mentioned airports

Any ideas?
Old Jul 29, 2011, 10:25 am

Programs: AA Gold, DL Gold, Marriott Platinum, Hilton Gold, Starwood Gold, too many cruise programs to list
Thanksgiving week is generally much better priced than Christmas. The issue with Christmas, land or cruise, is that so many businesses close down that entire week. Add that to the families who can only travel when school is out of session, and you have the highest of the high demand. Beach destinations are just as crowded and peak pricing.

Thanksgiving week you have more options. Still a peak week, but not peak peak.

Are you looking to travel these periods due to children being out of school, or just so you won't miss as much work? If not working around a school schedule, suggest the week after Thanksgiving instead.
Old Jul 29, 2011, 2:52 pm
Original Poster

It is because of work. In week 47 we have 2 days off so we could use the whole week and depart on 19th already.

Any suggestions for a beach destination?
Old Jul 29, 2011, 6:14 pm

Programs: Hilton, AA,, Delta
Originally Posted by flymexico2010
It is because of work. In week 47 we have 2 days off so we could use the whole week and depart on 19th already.

Any suggestions for a beach destination?
Did you look going out of Tampa? Some good cruise choices at that time of year.

If yoy are looking for beach, go as far south as possible. It can get cold on the beach that time of year in Tampa.
Old Jul 29, 2011, 7:40 pm
In Memoriam

Programs: aa plt 4.9MM LTAC
costa rica?
Old Jul 30, 2011, 2:51 pm

Why not look for the first or second week in December if you can go then? Rarely children and everyone is getting ready for the hols, so it's cheaper and flights are better. It's a fav time of mine to sail.

Aruba, perhaps?
Old Jul 30, 2011, 5:34 pm

Programs: AA, UA,WN, Hilton Honors, Marriott
Many cruise lines depart from Fort Lauderdale. Give that a look.
Old Sep 1, 2011, 8:33 pm

These dates are the most busiest ones. They will be heavily paid also. So if you are on a budget then may be you have to change your plan. Then also try once with a travel agency. May be they can help you in a better way...
Old Oct 14, 2011, 9:48 pm

Don't know if you have booked yet. There is definitely more competition out of Miami & Ft Lauderdale because of the sheer amount of ships ported there in December. Hopefully you chose that week because you are travelling with kids because most ships have at 30-40% occupancy of kids/teens during vacation time (christmas break, spring break, easter break) and if you're not travelling with kids yourself, it can really change your level of enjoyment (not necessarily for the better).
Hope it all works out for you.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.