Reload this Page >

Cruise Compete This good?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Cruise Compete This good?

Search this Thread

Old Jul 9, 2015, 11:00 am

Programs: Delta SkyMiles, AmEx, NorthWest WorldPerks, Jelly of the Month. S&H Green Stamps, Subway sub club
Originally Posted by BamaVol
I'll just need to stay away from the railings.
Good luck!
Old Jul 12, 2015, 10:29 pm

CVO has been good to us. One key to get the best deal from them on NCL is to be certain to mention your cruise compete number. sometimes they have special pricing which provides a better discount than when they rebate their commission ion by way of extra OTC. FWIW, we have used Mike off and on over the last five or six years. He has been responsive and helpful when we find price drops on our booked cruise.
Old Mar 30, 2018, 4:02 pm

Programs: AS MVP, Hilton Diamond, IHG Gold
It's been a long while since this thread has had any action. Anyone still using Cruise Compete?
Old Mar 30, 2018, 6:52 pm

Programs: AA EXP, DL Silver, Global Entry
Originally Posted by boxo
It's been a long while since this thread has had any action. Anyone still using Cruise Compete?
Personally I don’t use Cruise Compete because I have an established Internet based agency that meets my needs. Years ago my problem with Cruise Compete was that many of the agencies/agents had no history that I could discovered. There were a few agencies/agents that turned out to have the shelf life of mayonnaise on a warm summer day. That’s not to say there aren’t some good ones out there but lacking recommendations I’m hesitant to gamble on an unknown.
Old Mar 31, 2018, 7:46 am

Programs: UA Premier 1K, Star Alliance Gold, Titanium Elite Marriott, Celebrity Elite, IHG, Hilton Diamond
Cruise Compete

I tried the website a couple of weeks ago. I was on a cruise about a year ago and someone mention the site. I wanted to book a cruise later in the year. I submitted the information to Cruise Compete. I received several quotes some were straight forward and the prices were in the same range of the cabin requested. Others listed different cabins with higher and lower price with and without perks. I was not familiar with most of the agencies. Some were small agencies with limited inventory and other had slightly larger inventories but not like the major cruise agencies like Vacations to Go, Online Vacation Center and Cruise Line.com. Cruise Critic is a good site to use when looking for a cruise.
Old Mar 31, 2018, 8:44 am

Programs: Business Travel Agent, Sabre Junkie, Miles & More Silver
I run one of the agencies giving quotes to CruiseCompete clients and we don't even bother quoting unless we can offer a substantial discount (minimum -20%) over the current market price.
For us CruiseCompete is a side business helping us fill group space, and pick up new clients along the way, who then mostly become repeat clients because they appreciate the service and reliability we offer.
We are small (20 people) and highly specialized, so it is quite likely that most folks have never heard of us, but really if someone only wants to book with a big agency what is the purpose of using Cruise Compete versus simply calling them or checking their website.
I think the beauty of CruiseCompete is really that small specialized agencies like ours can get their competitively priced inventory to market and stand out of the crowd.
In that respect CruiseCompete is rather unique.
boxo likes this.
Old Mar 31, 2018, 9:56 pm

Originally Posted by breakthrough37
I tried the website a couple of weeks ago. I was on a cruise about a year ago and someone mention the site. I wanted to book a cruise later in the year. I submitted the information to Cruise Compete. I received several quotes some were straight forward and the prices were in the same range of the cabin requested. Others listed different cabins with higher and lower price with and without perks. I was not familiar with most of the agencies. Some were small agencies with limited inventory and other had slightly larger inventories but not like the major cruise agencies like Vacations to Go, Online Vacation Center and Cruise Line.com. Cruise Critic is a good site to use when looking for a cruise.
By "inventory" do you mean available cabins? They should all have access to the same cabins. Now, it's possible that if they have a group, they only have the discounted rate left on specific categories.

The quotes I've seen have typically been from the places you mentioned, plus Cruiseone, which is a franchise operation and the company that responds will be (in my experience) just a one person operation. That's actually who my current agent is with, and I found her with Cruisecompete. She's not always as cheap as places like Crucon, but she responds quickly to email I send at 10pm (or later).

My only disappointment came recently, when I asked for a quote or an Oceania cruise and only got one response. Apparently they had that cruise (and maybe all Oceania?) set up to go to a single agent. The price wasn't even all that great.

Cruise Critic is an excellent resource, but not for finding travel agents as their policy says you cannot mention them.
Old Apr 1, 2018, 10:04 am

Programs: AA Lifetime Platinum; Amex Plat; Four Seasons; Fairmont; HH; etc.; "Retirees-In-Training"
Originally Posted by mnaguib
I run one of the agencies giving quotes to CruiseCompete clients and we don't even bother quoting unless we can offer a substantial discount (minimum -20%) over the current market price.
For us CruiseCompete is a side business helping us fill group space, and pick up new clients along the way, who then mostly become repeat clients because they appreciate the service and reliability we offer.
We are small (20 people) and highly specialized, so it is quite likely that most folks have never heard of us, but really if someone only wants to book with a big agency what is the purpose of using Cruise Compete versus simply calling them or checking their website.
I think the beauty of CruiseCompete is really that small specialized agencies like ours can get their competitively priced inventory to market and stand out of the crowd.
In that respect CruiseCompete is rather unique.
We've been hesitant to deal with "unknown" online-only vendors for cruise reservations.

We usually want a very specific suite; there may only be two and we may want the on on a specific side for a specific itinerary.

Now, with at least some cruise lines, we can reserve with the line itself, and then (with some limitations) we might be able to transfer the reservation to an outside agent of our choice.

IF we did this, would an agency such as yours still be able to offer the same discounts/OBC as if we had gone through you at the start?

Or do you only offer cabins that are "left over" from groups where you had booked a block and didn't sell all of them?

GC
Old Apr 2, 2018, 5:20 am

Programs: Business Travel Agent, Sabre Junkie, Miles & More Silver
Originally Posted by GeezerCouple
We've been hesitant to deal with "unknown" online-only vendors for cruise reservations.

We usually want a very specific suite; there may only be two and we may want the on on a specific side for a specific itinerary.

Now, with at least some cruise lines, we can reserve with the line itself, and then (with some limitations) we might be able to transfer the reservation to an outside agent of our choice.

IF we did this, would an agency such as yours still be able to offer the same discounts/OBC as if we had gone through you at the start?

Or do you only offer cabins that are "left over" from groups where you had booked a block and didn't sell all of them?

GC
Dear GC,

first of all, my company is NOT an online-only vendor but a brick-and-mortar cruise agency that does a little side business on Cruise Compete.
For all of us here cruising is the main way to spend our personal vacation and every one of my agents will sail or visit at least six different ships every year.
We will not normally take over bookings made direct with cruise lines, simply because they will then not honor any of our contracted benefits, be they (additional) OBC, speical pricing for particular sailings or extra perks, i.e. category upgrades or suite benefits for regular cabins.
We will be pleased to offer you a competitive quote on any cruise line you like and we are honest enough to tell you when we don't expect to have the lowest price in the market.

Best,

Michael Naguib
Old Apr 2, 2018, 5:34 pm

Programs: AA EXP, DL Silver, Global Entry
Originally Posted by GeezerCouple

GC
I noticed you mentioned you like to pick very specific cabins on specific cruises. We are the same and the Internet based agency we use always gets us the cabin we want on the cruise we want. They don’t book blocks of rooms and then only book those specific cabins. We have worked with the same agent and her team via phone or email since 2012 and won’t be changing agents or agency any time soon. She’s been great and has consistently given us a 10-12% cash discount and usually throws in another $200 to $300 in on-board credit. I don’t bother to book with the cruise line first then transfer the booking to her as I see no advantage since we always get what we want in terms of cabin and cruise.
Old Apr 2, 2018, 9:41 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: DREAD Gold; UA 1.035MM; Bonvoy Au-197; PCC Elite+; CCC Elite+; MSC C-12; CWC Au-197; WoH Dis
Anyone still using Cruise Compete?
Yes.
Old Apr 4, 2018, 3:32 am

looking on cc now for a friend on a cheap Carnival cruise. got 7 bids, best one was $210 less than booking with Carnival. Issued as OBC.
Old Apr 10, 2018, 9:14 am

We have been booking a year out with cruise compete with non-refundable deposits on some, but the rates are good. We usually compare the price on expedia and get about 10% back as OBC, plus the OBC from the cruise line. I am guessing generally the contract agencies get is 20% off and they give us 10%.
Old Apr 10, 2018, 12:06 pm

Originally Posted by Travelz
We have been booking a year out with cruise compete with non-refundable deposits on some, but the rates are good. We usually compare the price on expedia and get about 10% back as OBC, plus the OBC from the cruise line. I am guessing generally the contract agencies get is 20% off and they give us 10%.
unless something has changed recently, agencies pay cruisecompete a 2.7% fee on winning bids.
Old Apr 24, 2018, 9:13 am

Haven't gone yet, but booked a cruise on Viking Ocean for July 2019 through Cruise Compete. No OBC, but a substantial savings from what the price was on their website. I spoke to the agent prior to booking (Cruise Vacation Outlets) and she was extremely helpful. Viking is known to require payment in full a long time before the cruise, and she was able to shorten it to 6 months prior. Then, I had to deviate on the air, and again very happy. Within minutes she emailed me an updated invoice.

Hopefully, I will be just as pleased next summer

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.