Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Cruises
Reload this Page >

Any Input for Mediterranean cruise in Late June/Earlh July?

Old Jan 9, 11, 10:38 am
Original Poster

Programs: Continental Onepass Silver

My wife and I want to go to Europe for pleasure this summer. We will be flying on CO, with reward tix, either to LHR or BCN from our home of CLE.

Our only firm goal is to be at the London F1 Grand Prix at Silverstone on July 10. Beyond that, we want to get the biggest bang for our buck on a cruise.

I know it will be very warm at this time, but it is the only window we have. We can take between 15 - 18 days for this trip. The cruise can be before OR after the Grand Prix.

Any advice would be very much appreciated!! What cruise lines are solid and are there any to stay away from?

Thanks, all!
Old Jan 9, 11, 11:29 am
In Memoriam

Programs: aa plt 4.9MM LTAC
whats with bcn,do you want an open jaw award lhr-bcn or vv?, how much will you pay for the cruise?, how long?....good luck...

edit to add....you could do 2 7 day cruises, 1 in baltic, 1 in med, while youre there....

do you have to go to bcn?, also, i think that there's a departure tax from lhr....look into it if you have the option to go there 1st...

Last edited by clacko; Jan 9, 11 at 1:32 pm
Old Jan 9, 11, 1:33 pm
Original Poster

We would like to cruise for 6 - 9 days, depending on what works to get back to UK for the F1 on July 10.

Prices, well, hopefully under 2k/each?

We have friends/family in various places in Europe, so where we arrive depends on cruise itinerary, if we have time to meet family, etc etc

Really just looking for feedback on cruise lines, I guess - with so many seasoned travelers here, I'm hoping to use their wisdom/experience!

We're in the very early phases of planning, so anything is possible at this point!

Thanks and have a good one!!
Old Jan 9, 11, 1:38 pm

Programs: Delta, United, HAL Mariners Society-3 star, Travel Century Club Member (102 countries visited)
Lots of multi-port stop loops BCN-BCN over to Italy and back and some including Tunis with most of the major cruise lines: MSC, Costa, Celebrity, Holland America, Disney, Carnival, Royal Caribbean -- easily under $2000 depending on cabin choice and length of cruise. 7 day typical, but some with more stops and distance covered over to Greece etc at 14 days.

Try doing a search on "90 Day Ticker" which can show you who is leaving and returning from BCN, or any other combination you want for the time period you have.
Old Jan 9, 11, 3:58 pm

Side note

Been to Sivlerstone GP, loved it! Been to Montreal too!

I've been on Azamara Med cruise 2007, late May early June 14 nights, fantastic!

Going on Celeb Med this early June....

Just a thought here, we go late May, early June mostly because less children. And we choose AZ and Celebrity because of their very restrictive smoking policy. (dont know if that matters to you or not). I take my 21 year old DD, and we like quiet ships... Time of year you will be going will have considerably more kids, so keep that in mind. The more upscale the line, the less children (if that is a consideration).

Just my 2 cents.... PM me if you want more info/opinions. I've got lots of both!

J.
Old Jan 9, 11, 4:49 pm

Programs: Virtuoso
Do you have your heart set on the Mediterranean? You could do a Norwegian Fjords cruise leaving from Southampton (for LHR flights) for 7 days and keep it under $2,000 p.p. on Princess, which is one of my favorite cruise lines - does a nice job of catering to different ages without being exclusive and has great customer service. There's a July 16th sailing, and you wouldn't have the heat of the Med
Old Jan 10, 11, 6:00 am
Original Poster

Thanks for all the ideas. Just FYI, we like to smoke, so a restrictive smoking policy wouldn't be a real plus to us. I'm investigating all the options I've seen here, and I'm open to any more guidance!!

Thanks again. See you in EU!!
Old Jan 10, 11, 4:09 pm
Suspended

Programs: Chairman US Air, four million miles Delta and F.C., Plat Prem Marriott, Marquis Jet," Air America
The St Petersburg cruise is wonderful and probably the best way to see it, As said above, Norway not too bad weather wise,

We have done that and the med on RC. Two view of thought for cabins. Some just sleep in their cabin and thus get an inside cabin which can be really cheap. Use the common spaces (of which their are always hidden spots on the ships). We liked a balcony and even brought a camping hammock to lie out and watch the world go by in privacy. (and you can usually smoke)

Here is a web site of weather:
http://www.gate1travel.com/weather/m...n/default.aspx

Following is a quote on smoking:
Least Restrictive: If you are a smoker and want to light up at any time, anywhere, book yourself a Pullmantur vacation. This Spain-based cruise and tour operation runs several cruises in the Mediterranean. You can smoke during your massage, between courses at meals, in the hot tubs, during bingo ... All in all you can totally revel, in bliss, pretty much anywhere.

Balconies: Considerate smokers who want to least offend their neighbors should look at getting a balconied stateroom as far aft as possible since the smoke tends to drift back while the ship is underway. Conversely, sensitive non-smokers should look at booking their verandahs as far forward as possible, for the same reason. If that isn't possible, non-smokers need to adjust their balcony-use schedule or just tolerate the smoke.

Public Spaces: Most ships have designated smoking areas, usually on one side or another of the ship. If smoking is permitted on deck on the port side, that's where smokers should go to light up and where non-smokers should avoid sitting. You'd think that's pretty basic, but many a fight has started over cigarette smoke because one side or another is in the "wrong" space.
Old Jan 11, 11, 5:10 pm
In Memoriam

Programs: aa plt 4.9MM LTAC
talk to a few ta's in cle....might be worth the time....
Old Jan 12, 11, 11:00 am

Programs: Delta Silver Medalion, American Express Platinum
I took a cruise from BCN last June on NCL and had an amazing trip. We found a great deal on travelzoo and got the cruise for $449 a person, with a window cabin. The cruise was 7 days Sunday-Sunday stopping in Monaco, Florence, Rome, Naples and Majorca. We really enjoyed NCL and all the stops. I would highly recomend it.
Old Jan 14, 11, 12:36 am

Cruises departing Barcelona this year, particularly on 7nt sailings are likely to be extremely good value.

For the cruise lines, I think it will be a tough year with pressure to keep pricing under control as much of Europe (who fill large percentages of these ships) are still not feeling much confidence in their economies. Having said that, there's some seriously good hardware based there. For consumers though, I think that you should be able to find plenty of added values already available to entice you to book as they'll not want to drop prices too much yet. In high season, price reductions might not be so strong.

There's a huge number of beds departing Barcelona every week, with Carnival, Norwegian Cruise Line, Disney & Royal Caribbean basing ships there, plus the "bus-stop" embarkation calls from Costa and MSC. I'm sure Holland America, Azamara, Celebrity and others also have departures.

Hard to recommend something from so little information. To second jdog1400, I too have done a similar itinerary (not with NCL) and the ports were fantastic - a real mix. It is being operated by Norwegian Epic in 2011, which I have sailed on and which was very, very good indeed.

Mark

Search this Thread
Search Engine: