Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > Credit Card Programs
Reload this Page >

How good is the Travelocity credit card? [Originally Mastercard, now Amex]

How good is the Travelocity credit card? [Originally Mastercard, now Amex]

Old Jan 30, 2012, 5:49 pm

Originally Posted by hellothere
Is there a way to turn Travelocity Rewards points into cash?

I though I'd buy a refundable airline ticket with my points and then cancel the ticket, but every time I search for a refundable ticket on Travelocity, the policy details say the ticket is non-refundable at checkout, even though I know the same priced ticket purchased at the airlines website would indeed be refundable.

I called CS about this issue and whether the tickets are refundable and they were pretty useless, telling me that whatever the policy page says is what goes.
Most if not all are non-refundable on discount websites.
Old Jan 31, 2012, 2:49 pm

How can I create a Travelocity car rental eligible for 5 points/$1 spent?

According to all marketing materials I've got with my Travelocity AmEx card, rental car bookings through travelocity are eligible for 5 points/$1 spent. The issue is that I cannot create a single rental car reservation to which I will pay for to Travelocity - all I can do is create a reservation for which I will pay for directly to a rental car company. But then I guess I will not be eligible for 5 pts/$1. Has anyone resolved this dilemma?
Old Jan 31, 2012, 6:20 pm

Originally Posted by LongviewTX
According to all marketing materials I've got with my Travelocity AmEx card, rental car bookings through travelocity are eligible for 5 points/$1 spent. The issue is that I cannot create a single rental car reservation to which I will pay for to Travelocity - all I can do is create a reservation for which I will pay for directly to a rental car company. But then I guess I will not be eligible for 5 pts/$1. Has anyone resolved this dilemma?
No... and from my experience they will not honor it as 5 pts (or 4pts, I'm grandfathered)
Old Feb 1, 2012, 9:37 pm

Programs: AA Lifetime Platinum-2 MM Starwood Plat,Delta DM
I had to make two more calls to them. The service on this card stinks! Hopefully they finally credit back my money and the points. If not i will have to make formal complaints.

Rob
Old Feb 2, 2012, 2:38 pm

At least they are aware of the problems and I'm sure their technical guys are working on a fix.

When the system works (which is was working for quite a while) it worked very well and I was happy with it. Something just got broke along the way, probably in some upgrade of their system.

Ethan
Old Feb 2, 2012, 7:12 pm

Originally Posted by ethanwa
At least they are aware of the problems and I'm sure their technical guys are working on a fix.

When the system works (which is was working for quite a while) it worked very well and I was happy with it. Something just got broke along the way, probably in some upgrade of their system.

Ethan
I have been involved with point programs for many years. I have never seen a program as screwed up as this one. I have called several times and get different answers each time. They are aware of the problems? How long does it take them to make sure their redemption program is working? One month? two? I have never seen anythign like them. I think I will have to start playing hardball with them. Also ther service stinks. They are aware of the problem but instead of following up with me I have to keep calling them. Is that how it should be done?

Robert
Old Feb 4, 2012, 4:48 pm

This is frustrating. I'd like to use my travelocity points but can't. Grrrr.
Old Feb 4, 2012, 4:52 pm

Programs: DL
And the Travelocity website issues continue...

Originally Posted by juggler451
This is frustrating. I'd like to use my travelocity points but can't. Grrrr.
Things seem to have gotten worse. I tried last night to redeem points when booking a flight but this time, I could not even see my Point balance on the site. When checking out, you at least can see how many Travelocity Points you would earn, but that was gone! It is as if the site no longer even recognizes the benefits / existing points on the website.

I really hope they get this fix. As it stands, I am going to have to call the customer support line to request a manual point redemption. I already am getting a headache just thinking about the process I will have to jump through.
Old Feb 6, 2012, 12:38 pm

I called to get a manual redemption and they said they would open a support ticket to the rewards program department and that I would get a call in 5-7 days to complete the redemption.

Has this happened to anyone else? Or when you call is your redemption immediate.

God their support people just suck.
Old Feb 8, 2012, 8:43 pm

Originally Posted by ethanwa
I called to get a manual redemption and they said they would open a support ticket to the rewards program department and that I would get a call in 5-7 days to complete the redemption.

Has this happened to anyone else? Or when you call is your redemption immediate.

God their support people just suck.
Two calls to them, still nothing. I will call one more time and then start filing formal complaints against them. This is crazy. This company stinks!

Robert
Old Feb 8, 2012, 9:17 pm

Programs: Fairmont Lifetime Platinum, Hyatt Globalist, AA Lifetime Gold
Originally Posted by robertw477
Two calls to them, still nothing. I will call one more time and then start filing formal complaints against them. This is crazy. This company stinks!

Robert
My manual point redemption for a flight I booked a couple weeks ago never was effected after I telephoned them.

I made a separate travelocity booking today (by way of the Chase Ultimate Rewards mall for 2x bonus points). The opportunity to use my Travelocity points did not appear at the check out screen. I opted to pay with my Chase Sapphire instead of the Travelocity Amex even though the latter would have gotten me more points. Kinda felt good.
Old Feb 9, 2012, 7:51 am

Programs: UA, AA, Delta
Originally Posted by robertw477

Robert
That is one thing I never liked about this card: Customer Service. The 4% back on everything is awesome, but I just can't trust this card when I need customer service. So I never use this card for online purchases or large purchases. Always been considering switching back to SPG AMEX...
Old Feb 11, 2012, 7:31 am

Programs: HHonors Gold, SPG Gold
I have yet another data point to report on the whole redemption issue.

My father-in-law has the 5/$1 card and has ~23k points on it. The other night he makes an airline reservation. On the checkout page the checkbox for using points is present. We click it, select the number of points we wish to use (20k), and click purchase.

On the confirmation screen there is a success message informing that his card will be credited $400 and that it may show up as a separate transaction, and so on.

Did it work? Nope. In spite of all the signs indicating that it would work, it didn't. No 20k reduction in his account, no statement credit.

They better get this figured out quick. I typically charge about $100k a year on that card... charges that could go on my AMEX Platinum (or a new SPG AMEX) very easily.
Old Feb 11, 2012, 7:41 am

Programs: HHonors Gold, SPG Gold
Originally Posted by paramount
No... and from my experience they will not honor it as 5 pts (or 4pts, I'm grandfathered)

Has anyone tried to redeem points for a car-rental reservation?

FWIW, I have successfully gotten points (and redeemed points) for a car rental, but only when the car was part of a Flight+Hotel+Car vacation package. It was a couple of years ago, but at that time the whole shebang was paid to Travelocity and the car rental was actually reserved with one of Travelocity's CC#s.

(I accidentally missed a toll booth and got a $20 fine. Enterprise Car Rental sent me a letter about it, saying that "my" CC would be charged for the fine unless I mailed them a payment. I got busy and it took me about two months to mail Enterprise a check. In the meantime I have a feeling that they charged Travelocity's CC# for the fine since Enterprise never contacted me about it again. The interesting thing is that Travelocity never contacted me or charged my card for the fine they probably got stuck with.)
Old Feb 12, 2012, 3:53 pm

Programs: Fairmont Lifetime Platinum, Hyatt Globalist, AA Lifetime Gold
Some rare good news

Originally Posted by bluto
My manual point redemption for a flight I booked a couple weeks ago never was effected after I telephoned them.
I logged in and noticed that the redemption credit had been finally posted to my account. It took nearly 3 weeks but it finally came.

The annual fee for my card was coincidentally due. Given the redemption headaches, I had no problem calling them and asking them to not charge me the fee. I got a little resistance but I politely persisted and they agreed to not charge the fee this year. Warning: if you attempt this, you have to make sure that the rep does not downgrade your card to the free version with the lower rewards structure. The rep almost switched me to the free no-annual fee card before I realized what she was doing, and told her that I wanted to keep the current card but have them eat the fee. It's admittedly risky that they won't do this fee waiver correctly, especially given the quality of their customer service, but I was assured I would not be downgraded. I am on the old rewards structure (2x on everything) so hopefully it goes right.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.