Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > Credit Card Programs
Reload this Page >

How good is the Travelocity credit card? [Originally Mastercard, now Amex]

How good is the Travelocity credit card? [Originally Mastercard, now Amex]

Old Jan 15, 10, 3:39 pm
  #61  
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Knoxville
Posts: 280
Originally Posted by Mikeoracle View Post
Has anyone redeemed points for a non-flight booking i.e. just a hotel stay for the $400 credit or more?
Also does anyone know the answer to JudyJFLA's question if the credit covers taxes and fees too?
As a Cardmember you may redeem Travelocity Points for the following Account statement credits when they purchase travel, services, and products on Travelocity.com:
paramount is offline  
Old Jan 15, 10, 3:41 pm
  #62  
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Knoxville
Posts: 280
Originally Posted by jfrey1 View Post
For those interested I posted this in another forum:

The ambiguity is over. I have about 100k Travelocity points in my account and linked to Travelocity. I can book anything on Travelocity and take it right up to the confirm page. It asks me how many points I want to use. You can mix cash and points at your leisure.

So for example if I book a flight to Hawaii at $820 I have the ability to use 40,000 points and pay the $20 in cash. It works. I could also use only 20k points for a $400 credit and pay the rest. Very flexible.
Also see this post Mikeoracle
paramount is offline  
Old Jan 20, 10, 11:01 am
  #63  
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: Sacramento
Programs: UA, AA, Delta
Posts: 177
I've been looking for a replacement for my AMEX SPG card since the redemption on transfers to UA is only 2:1. I'm seriously considering this Travelocity card. My candidates are the UA mileage plus card, Citi Premierpass elite, versus Travelocity Mastercard

- Starwood: ability to transfer to many airlines programs (but lower transfer rate to UA) 1-5% cashback value. $45 annual fee
- Citi PP elite: earns flight points (but need to match with purchases, making it a 2% card at best) 2% cashback value with 4% on EDP's. $75 annual fee.
- UA mileage plus card: earn 1:1 UA miles per dollar. 1-5% cashback value. $60 annual fee.
- Travelocity: 4% back on ALL purchases. 4% cashback value. $69 annual fee.


Another thing that bugs me about the SPG card or the UA card is that you have to really make an effort to get more than 1% redemption. Even with SPG hotel redemptions, you're really just getting 1-2% back redemption a lot of times. I know a lot of people here says they sometimes get more than 4% redemption on SPG hotel redemptions or UA international award redemptions, but how often is that? Whereas with the travelocity card, I'm pretty much always guaranteed getting 4% cashback unless I'm redeeming at levels below 20K pts. Even then the lowest I can go on redemptions in the Travelocity program is 2% back at the 5K level. Guaranteed 4% back seems a lot better than playing the miles/hotel redemption game where you're getting 1-5% redemption.

On top of that, the award redemptions on Travelocity earns you miles/hotel points whereas the hotel/miles programs don't. I'm favoring using a non-miles card because you can still earn miles when you make a flight redemption, and you can alternate between miles award redemptions and credit card award redemptions.

Redemptions on Travelocity also seem very flexibile becuase you can redeem for anything on the travelocity website, including flights, hotels, cars, vacation packages, cruises, activities, events/sports tickets, etc.

If you look at it from a pure cashback perspective, then it seems the Travelocity wins hands down at 4%. Let me know what you guys think
somdave2005 is offline  
Old Jan 20, 10, 12:39 pm
  #64  
FlyerTalk Evangelist
 
Join Date: Aug 2001
Programs: DL GM, AA Gold, Hilton Diamond, Bonvoy Plat
Posts: 12,171
The Travelocity card is a great card.
skofarrell is offline  
Old Jan 21, 10, 7:59 pm
  #65  
 
Join Date: Nov 2002
Posts: 920
Originally Posted by somdave2005 View Post
Another thing that bugs me about the SPG card or the UA card is that you have to really make an effort to get more than 1% redemption. Even with SPG hotel redemptions, you're really just getting 1-2% back redemption a lot of times. I know a lot of people here says they sometimes get more than 4% redemption on SPG hotel redemptions or UA international award redemptions, but how often is that? Whereas with the travelocity card, I'm pretty much always guaranteed getting 4% cashback unless I'm redeeming at levels below 20K pts. Even then the lowest I can go on redemptions in the Travelocity program is 2% back at the 5K level. Guaranteed 4% back seems a lot better than playing the miles/hotel redemption game where you're getting 1-5% redemption.

If you look at it from a pure cashback perspective, then it seems the Travelocity wins hands down at 4%. Let me know what you guys think
I dont want to hijack the thread because this card is great for all non SPG properties but I've never gotten 1% on SPG. That would mean Cat 3's for $70 (I can find some in demand CAT 3's in the $200's when I want to travel). Just booked a CAT 5 in Italy 20k SPG pts that was $600+USD. SPG Amex is usually in the 3-5% range. Travelocity certainly takes that "need" to get your moneys worth out of the equation. Glad to hear its easy to redeem especially after a few yrs of using the terrible Citi TY cards.
Ken in Phx is offline  
Old Jan 21, 10, 8:09 pm
  #66  
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: Sacramento
Programs: UA, AA, Delta
Posts: 177
Originally Posted by Ken in Phx View Post
I dont want to hijack the thread because this card is great for all non SPG properties but I've never gotten 1% on SPG. That would mean Cat 3's for $70 (I can find some in demand CAT 3's in the $200's when I want to travel). Just booked a CAT 5 in Italy 20k SPG pts that was $600+USD. SPG Amex is usually in the 3-5% range. Travelocity certainly takes that "need" to get your moneys worth out of the equation. Glad to hear its easy to redeem especially after a few yrs of using the terrible Citi TY cards.

I agree with you that usually you can get over 1%, but getting over 2% is much more difficult esp in the US. Maybe becuase hotel prices are in general lower these days due to the economy, and maybe I mainly look at domestic SPG hotels.
somdave2005 is offline  
Old Jan 21, 10, 9:10 pm
  #67  
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Posts: 6
How are Traveelocity Mastercard credit limits assuming you have good score > 780+? Is it same as any other card from Citibank etc? I have seen few places that it only gives out < $5000 credit limit.
st50 is offline  
Old Jan 22, 10, 3:49 pm
  #68  
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: ORD
Programs: UA Silver, Marriott Gold, National Executive Elite
Posts: 42
Originally Posted by st50 View Post
How are Traveelocity Mastercard credit limits assuming you have good score > 780+? Is it same as any other card from Citibank etc? I have seen few places that it only gives out < $5000 credit limit.
My wife's score was around 780+ and she got 12K on this card.
Zentos is offline  
Old Jan 22, 10, 4:48 pm
  #69  
g50
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Location: Atlanta, Ga
Programs: DL DM MM, AA LTP, UA SILVER,Globalist, SPG/RITZ PLT, Equity Estates Fund,Ritz Club Owner
Posts: 805
Not sure if this helps you but if you have other Barclay's accounts, you can move their line of credit over.
g50 is offline  
Old Jan 23, 10, 6:47 pm
  #70  
 
Join Date: Apr 1999
Location: Northport, NY
Posts: 1,672
Originally Posted by g50 View Post
Not sure if this helps you but if you have other Barclay's accounts, you can move their line of credit over.
I just called and requested to move credit from my LL Bean card to Travelocity and Barclay refused. They also refused to increase my limit. Both cards have only a 10K limit.
Schutzee is offline  
Old Jan 24, 10, 1:48 pm
  #71  
g50
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Location: Atlanta, Ga
Programs: DL DM MM, AA LTP, UA SILVER,Globalist, SPG/RITZ PLT, Equity Estates Fund,Ritz Club Owner
Posts: 805
Not sure about LL Bean but I was able to move my USAir line of credit to my AirTran line of credit. Then just recently, I have moved most of my AirTran Visa line of credits( I have two) to my Travelocity MC. Try again and get past customer service. Also, try during regular business hours. I think I said I wanted to talk to someone about my credit line. I was transferred at least once.
g50 is offline  
Old Feb 9, 10, 3:11 pm
  #72  
g50
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Location: Atlanta, Ga
Programs: DL DM MM, AA LTP, UA SILVER,Globalist, SPG/RITZ PLT, Equity Estates Fund,Ritz Club Owner
Posts: 805
It works!

Update on my Travelocity statement:

02/10 20,000 Points Redeemed -400.00


02/10 DELTA 006------------------ 209.00

02/10 DELTA 006------------------ 209.00


So for 10k spend and around $18 we got two tickets with taxes, points earned, double points earned(with status), upgrades (with status),mqms earned, no redemption fees, and we didn't have to worry about finding low award seats that would have taken around 50k in spend for the two.

I would have a change fee that I would not have had on a DL award seat with DM status.

The only reason SPG, Membership rewards, Diners and airline cards are worth keeping is for Int First Class Travel, a few hotel stays, and perks like clubs, MQMs etc.

I don't see how they do it.
g50 is offline  
Old Feb 9, 10, 6:51 pm
  #73  
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Programs: UA nothing (former multi-year CO Platinum), AA 1M Gold, HH Diamond, National Executive
Posts: 448
Originally Posted by g50 View Post
Update on my Travelocity statement:

02/10 20,000 Points Redeemed -400.00


02/10 DELTA 006------------------ 209.00

02/10 DELTA 006------------------ 209.00


So for 10k spend and around $18 we got two tickets with taxes, points earned, double points earned(with status), upgrades (with status),mqms earned, no redemption fees, and we didn't have to worry about finding low award seats that would have taken around 50k in spend for the two.

I would have a change fee that I would not have had on a DL award seat with DM status.

The only reason SPG, Membership rewards, Diners and airline cards are worth keeping is for Int First Class Travel, a few hotel stays, and perks like clubs, MQMs etc.

I don't see how they do it.
One factor to keep in mind... Travelocity is guaranteed to get the Travel Agent commission for the travel purchase (at redemption) along with the merchant fees when you use the credit card. This is fine with me and does help make it a little more affordable for them vs. the pure cash back and other cards.
Flyer737 is offline  
Old Feb 9, 10, 9:27 pm
  #74  
g50
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Location: Atlanta, Ga
Programs: DL DM MM, AA LTP, UA SILVER,Globalist, SPG/RITZ PLT, Equity Estates Fund,Ritz Club Owner
Posts: 805
True, but this does not add up to anywhere near the 4% they are giving back.
I think Barclays is the one that is actually running the program. I guess since the the no annual fee card pays 2% and the $69 fee card pays 4% then the other 2% would have to come from the profit made on people carrying a balance and the merchant fees.
g50 is offline  
Old Feb 10, 10, 5:02 pm
  #75  
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: EWN/OAJ/RDU/ILM (Formerly BTV)
Programs: HH D i a m o n d !!!
Posts: 353
Does Travelocity waive the $69 annual fee in your first year of membership?

Either way, this card seems like one of the best deals out there. 5000 points after first purchase + 5000 point for balance transfer, effectively means $200 instant reward. Even if they don't waive the first year of the annual fee, you've got 3 yrs free with a 5K balance transfer. At 4% return, I think I just talked myself into signing up.

Bye bye, Worldperks!
perkunas is offline  

Thread Tools
Search this Thread
Search Engine: