FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Credit Card Programs (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/credit-card-programs-599/)
-   -   How good is the Travelocity credit card? [Originally Mastercard, now Amex] (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/credit-card-programs/978593-how-good-travelocity-credit-card-originally-mastercard-now-amex.html)

somdave2005 Mar 12, 2010 3:03 pm

Originally Posted by HCA (Post 13563785)
I guess I really wait too long. However, I doubt the benefit and reward structure probably won't last long. Thus probably I am not losing too much.

ALL programs are at risk of devaluation, including the beloved SPG program.

If they change the travelocity program, I'm just going to cancel the card. It has an annual fee, so it has to be worth it to me to keep the card. and I still have my SPG and Schwab card to fall back on.

nydad Mar 12, 2010 8:55 pm

Originally Posted by somdave2005 (Post 13565313)
If they change the travelocity program, I'm just going to cancel the card... I still have my SPG and Schwab card to fall back on.

My sentiment exactly, though I really hope that Barclays keeps it just as it is.

g50 Mar 14, 2010 6:30 pm

Called Barclays today to see if they knew what the status on then card was. After being transferred and put on hold a few times, I was told you can only apply by mail or online. They felt the card was not going away.
She could not figure out why the application online did not work but would pass on the information.
After I hung up, I searched for an application online.

Notice how it says:
"This promotion has expired." Could it be that the $50 promo and the bonus points promo have expired and they never made a link to a basic application with out the bonuses? I never saw the card at barclaysus.com
http://leisure.travelocity.com/Promo...p_main,00.html

I also called travelocity. They hadn't heard the card was going away as well. They told me to call Juniper (Barclays).

Today,online, I was able to add my wife to my acct. She should have her card in 7 days. All very strange. We will see.

g50 Mar 14, 2010 7:52 pm

Used a $1600 credit for 3 DL tickets and 3 nights for a jr suite at the Hilton Cancun. Called Hilton Diamond desk to add my Hilton number and they told me they would add my # for my benefits but I would not earn points. I called Travelocity and asked if I could change the hotel to the Le Meridien where I would earn points but they said it would be a $250.97 penalty. So I stayed with Hilton.
We did get to use the lounge for breakfast, evening hors d'oeuvres and drinks.
WiFi was $35 us a night but changed my "my way" to free wifi because was already in a suite and did not get an upgrade.

So for 40k spend I got what would have cost 50k spend on the Hilton card and 105k for 3 DL coach low rewards. We only would have gotten a standard room not a two room suite with a huge balcony and hot tub. We were all upgrade to F both ways and earned about 12k DL points.
Lost about 5k Hilton points that I wouldn't have earned anyway on a reward stay. No way is this category 7 hotel. Wish We stayed at the Ritz for another 10k or so.

Please keep this card.

somdave2005 Mar 14, 2010 10:55 pm

Originally Posted by g50 (Post 13576112)
Used a $1600 credit for 3 DL tickets and 3 nights for a jr suite at the Hilton Cancun. Called Hilton Diamond desk to add my Hilton number and they told me they would add my # for my benefits but I would not earn points. I called Travelocity and asked if I could change the hotel to the Le Meridien where I would earn points but they said it would be a $250.97 penalty. So I stayed with Hilton.
We did get to use the lounge for breakfast, evening hors d'oeuvres and drinks.
WiFi was $35 us a night but changed my "my way" to free wifi because was already in a suite and did not get an upgrade.

So for 40k spend I got what would have cost 50k spend on the Hilton card and 105k for 3 DL coach low rewards. We only would have gotten a standard room not a two room suite with a huge balcony and hot tub. We were all upgrade to F both ways and earned about 12k DL points.
Lost about 5k Hilton points that I wouldn't have earned anyway on a reward stay. No way is this category 7 hotel. Wish We stayed at the Ritz for another 10k or so.

Please keep this card.

How do you know if you're going to get hotel points at specific chain or not?

g50 Mar 14, 2010 11:27 pm

Originally Posted by somdave2005 (Post 13576904)
How do you know if you're going to get hotel points at specific chain or not?

I called Starwood and they told me qualified rates booked through travelocity do get points. I should have called Hilton but booked the whole trip a few hours before the flight and ran out of time. I have not checked with anyone else. If Hyatt's new CC earns diamond status with X amount of spend, I will check with them.
We will mostly stay in higher end hotels that don't have points. Another big plus with this card.

Update
I did not get starwood points for a rack rate starwood stay!

shel Mar 17, 2010 12:56 pm

There was some reported success in redeeming Travelocity reward points for cruise, but it seems that "loophole" has been fixed when I tried last night. Nowhere was the option to redeem reward points could be found.

I wouldn't call it devaluation yet, since cruise is not officially allowed in T&C, but that's the direction it's going....

Originally Posted by profxfiles (Post 12871671)
PS:I can also confirm the amazing flexibility for this card--I just used 45k points to pay for my parents to go on a cruise for their anniversary with no hassles whatsoever. Now I just need to get my credit limit upped so I can stop making bi-weekly payments!

somdave2005 Mar 17, 2010 3:40 pm

Originally Posted by shel (Post 13594640)
There was some reported success in redeeming Travelocity reward points for cruise, but it seems that "loophole" has been fixed when I tried last night. Nowhere was the option to redeem reward points could be found.

I wouldn't call it devaluation yet, since cruise is not officially allowed in T&C, but that's the direction it's going....

Can anyone else confirm this? I thought you book the cruise like any other flight and then redeem the credit at the last payment step.

g50 Mar 17, 2010 4:33 pm

Originally Posted by somdave2005 (Post 13595774)
Can anyone else confirm this? I thought you book the cruise like any other flight and then redeem the credit at the last payment step.

Just tried to book a cruise, and it did not give me the option to use points like it did before.

shel Mar 18, 2010 1:11 pm

time to extract the values from accumulated points?

Given the recent developments (card closed to new applicants; rewards points not allowed for cruise) I’m really concerned about the accumulated points I have with this card. Maybe it’s time to extract the values ASAP in case there is a sudden un-announced major devaluation (remember Citi TYN?) ahead. (Disclaimer: this is purely speculative, and no insider information whatsoever.)

Most of us probably still have lots of airline vouchers left from the Citi TYN last year. So it’s more useful if we can extract values as hotel credits to be used for future stays. Has any one had experience in turning pre-paid hotel stays into some kind of voucher/e-credit/gift card of the hotel chain that can be used for future stays? It’s difficult to actually test, because pre-paid hotel stays have cancellation penalty and any residual values will most likely get refunded back to Barclays. So real experience by fellow FTers are extremely helpful.

profxfiles Mar 18, 2010 2:05 pm

Just tested it....

Well, they may not let us do cruises, but I just did a test booking of a flight from ORD-LIS with hotel and it would let me redeem points to cover the whole cost, so it is still working for now..

grandmaster b Mar 19, 2010 2:59 am

Just checked...the application is back up at http://www.mytravelocitycard.com/

Still have yet to pull the trigger on signing up.

broadwayblue Mar 19, 2010 7:10 pm

Originally Posted by grandmaster b (Post 13605556)
Just checked...the application is back up at http://www.mytravelocitycard.com/

Still have yet to pull the trigger on signing up.

Well that didn't last long...

Thank you for your interest in a Barclaycard credit card.

Unfortunately, this offer has expired.

We apologize for this inconvenience.

Schutzee Mar 20, 2010 7:09 am

Originally Posted by shel (Post 13601711)
Given the recent developments (card closed to new applicants; rewards points not allowed for cruise) I’m really concerned about the accumulated points I have with this card. Maybe it’s time to extract the values ASAP in case there is a sudden un-announced major devaluation (remember Citi TYN?) ahead. (Disclaimer: this is purely speculative, and no insider information whatsoever.)

My thinking exactly! I booked three nights at Tenaya Lodge at Yosemite and used a $950. Travelocity credit. Net cost $19. ^ I will continue to use the card, but I'll burn the points quickly.

shel Mar 20, 2010 10:23 pm

Originally Posted by Schutzee (Post 13612437)
My thinking exactly! I booked three nights at Tenaya Lodge at Yosemite and used a $950. Travelocity credit. Net cost $19. ^ I will continue to use the card, but I'll burn the points quickly.

Do you really want to stay as booked, or do you plan to somehow exchange it to some kind of voucher/hotel credit/gift card for future stay?

Schutzee Mar 21, 2010 5:47 am

Originally Posted by shel (Post 13616246)
Do you really want to stay as booked, or do you plan to somehow exchange it to some kind of voucher/hotel credit/gift card for future stay?

Yes, I will use as booked. I'm taking my daughters to Yosemite and San Francisco in August.

paramount Mar 21, 2010 8:44 am

I honestly think that travelocity will move to an AmEx Card. They promote AmEx HARD on their website.

g50 Mar 21, 2010 4:37 pm

Originally Posted by paramount (Post 13617689)
I honestly think that travelocity will move to an AmEx Card. They promote AmEx HARD on their website.

If that happens kiss the 4% good by.

g50 Mar 23, 2010 6:36 pm

My wife's card came today. Who knows what is going on.

cabrits Apr 18, 2010 5:39 am

travelocity to brand with AMEX

Originally Posted by paramount (Post 13617689)

unfortunately, it's official. the travelocity card will branded with AMEX starting this june.

i recently received the travelocity card, and was looking very forward to maximizing its potential. i was rather disappointed to see this announcement about AMEX affiliation.

does anyone have any idea whether current travelocity cardholders will be grandfathered and still be able to redeem according to the present redemption schedule? or have past AMEX credit card takeovers historically resulted in forcing current cardholders to redeem under a new structure (ie. devalue their points)?

whoever has travelocity points now better plan on burning them up soon!

Schutzee Apr 18, 2010 6:31 am

Wow, this card didn't last very long. :td: Seemed like it was too good to be true. I have $850. in rewards and don't have any need for rooms or tickets at this time. Any creative ideas to preserve value? To me it's a given that value will go down soon.

paramount Apr 18, 2010 7:58 am

Maybe they will just allow the current users to migrate points to the new AmEx...

thinking blissfully here...

beachmiles Apr 18, 2010 8:03 am

Originally Posted by Schutzee (Post 13794273)
Wow, this card didn't last very long. :td: Seemed like it was too good to be true. I have $850. in rewards and don't have any need for rooms or tickets at this time. Any creative ideas to preserve value? To me it's a given that value will go down soon.

Can you redeem for giftcards?

mia Apr 18, 2010 10:35 am

Originally Posted by cabrits (Post 13794066)
...have past AMEX credit card takeovers historically resulted in forcing current cardholders to redeem under a new structure

The new card is still issued by Barclay's. It's merely an Amex-network rather than a Mastercard-network product. I don't think Juniper/Barclay's has been issuing cards in the USA long enough for there to be a meaningful precedent.

mserle Apr 20, 2010 2:56 pm

Turning Travelocity Points into Cash

This worked for me:
Book a $400 hotel room with a non-pre paid rate. Hint: Try entering children as additional guests. Usually a Hyatt property will show up. They don't charge your Travelocity credit card at checkout but do redeem the points and a $400 credit shows up on your credit card. Then cancel the room; probably better to wait until your statement closes and to do it via Hyatt's website (you can pull it up via the conformation code travelocity gives you).

skofarrell Apr 20, 2010 3:45 pm

Originally Posted by mserle (Post 13810934)
This worked for me:
Book a $400 hotel room with a non-pre paid rate. Hint: Try entering children as additional guests. Usually a Hyatt property will show up. They don't charge your Travelocity credit card at checkout but do redeem the points and a $400 credit shows up on your credit card. Then cancel the room; probably better to wait until your statement closes and to do it via Hyatt's website (you can pull it up via the conformation code travelocity gives you).

And you wonder why 4% programs like the one Travelocity offers get canceled/changed/gutted....:rolleyes:

cabrits Apr 20, 2010 5:19 pm

why jeopardize such a good program?

This worked for me:

this is one of the most generous programs out there. why pull a stunt like this, to catch the bad attention of travelocity, only to have them revamp and/or discontinue the program to avoid loopholes like this? i'm quite confident every single TV cardmember will spend $400 in some capacity on some kind of travel at some time.

i agree - please don't engage in practices that may ruin such a great program for everyone else. i hope you will consider just following the rules on this one, and even then by doing so, you'll still be on the receiving end of a great program!

shel Apr 20, 2010 7:16 pm

Thanks for sharing!!!

This worked for me:

I certainly don't want to sit there waiting my hard-earned points be devalued. It's definitely coming – and may be sooner than you anticipated! I still remember the answer I got from Bank of America when I called to complain about the devaluation of my “power rewards points” by 50%, which is basically “we can cancel or change reward program whatever we like and without advanced notification to you”. I bet similar wording is written in this program too.

Fiat money always devalues!

g50 Apr 23, 2010 3:35 am

When I talked to Travelocity a few weeks ago, they said our points are safe regardless of what happens with Barclay. The best I remember, the points have been the same even when the card was issued by Citi. I am betting Barclay and travelocity will not change the program much. For me, now is the time to earn not burn.

it is back up.
mytravelocitycard.com

g50 Apr 23, 2010 3:53 am

This worked for me:

This might of worked for you now, but a simple audit by Barkley and you might see a charge back on your acct. And to make things worse, you wouldn't even have stayed at the hotel. You are playing with fire.

nydad Apr 24, 2010 8:06 am

Uh oh.

I wish they just keep the program intact.

g50 Apr 25, 2010 6:25 am

Don't think it will change much, if any. Both say free travel stating at 5000 points etc.

The NEW Travelocity Rewards American Express® Card

http://www.mytravelocitycard.com/

* Earn points that can be redeemed for
any flight, hotel, car rental or vacation
package on Travelocity.
* No blackout dates or seat restrictions
on reward travel. Ever.
* Free travel starting at just 5,000 points!

Taken from my online page

Reward travel on your Travelocity MasterCard starts at just 5,000 points! Even better? Redeem points for any air, car, hotel, or package on Travelocity with no black-out dates or seat restrictions!

The two biggest concerns I have are 1. Moving my line of credit over and
2.A max spend per year.

BC300 Apr 25, 2010 1:58 pm

Issues redeeming points on Travelocity.com?

Is anyone else having any difficulty booking a trip with their earned reward points? I logged into my account on Travelocity.com and am unable to see my current point balance and when I tried to book a flight, there was not an option to pay with points. I hope this is only a temporary issue. :confused:

budblab Apr 25, 2010 6:07 pm

BC300--
I had the same issue using Google Chrome. Then I used Internet Explorer and it worked perfectly.

bocastephen Apr 26, 2010 8:23 am

How long does it usually take for the sign-up bonus points to post?

I'm also confused about the original offer - was it a 10K signup bonus or 5K signup and 5K balance transfer? Is it too late to do the balance transfer and get the extra 5K signup points after the card is issued?

paramount Apr 26, 2010 7:26 pm

Originally Posted by bocastephen (Post 13844535)
How long does it usually take for the sign-up bonus points to post?

I'm also confused about the original offer - was it a 10K signup bonus or 5K signup and 5K balance transfer? Is it too late to do the balance transfer and get the extra 5K signup points after the card is issued?

5k sign up, 5k balance transfer.

bocastephen Apr 26, 2010 9:25 pm

Originally Posted by paramount (Post 13848599)
5k sign up, 5k balance transfer.

Thank you - how long does it take for the sign-up bonus to post? I think it's too late to do the balance transfer and the fee isn't that attractive.

crhptic Apr 27, 2010 7:53 pm

For anyone that's considering doing the balance transfer on this - or any other Barclays card - a word of warning.

I opened the Frontier Mastercard from them a few years ago. The application said I had 30 days to do a balance transfer and receive miles. It turns out that Barclays counts the 30 days on the date your application is APPROVED - which might be several days before they open the account and send out your card. By the time I actually received the card, using Barclays math I had only 14 days to make the balance transfer. I missed the deadline by a couple of days, and they wouldn't budge. Caveat emptor.

Still, I intend to sign up for the Travelocity AmEx once it's available, if the travel benefits remain as good as they are currently on the Mastercard. It is a fairly unbeatable program. My guess is that they are switching it from a Mastercard to AmEx for 2 reasons: 1. Travelocity hawks AmEx all over their site, so it made sense to have an AmEx as their official card; 2. Barclays can charge higher fees to merchants with an AmEx than with a Mastercard (even a World Mastercard which is what all their rewards cards are) which will help to support the cost of the rewards program. All in all I think there is a good chance the program will remain similar, at least in the short term.

nydad May 6, 2010 9:18 am

How can I register this card at Travelocity.com?

paramount May 6, 2010 9:31 am

Originally Posted by nydad (Post 13910201)
How can I register this card at Travelocity.com?

You currently cant get the card if that is what you are asking.

If you are asking how you add it to your profile, you just go to "My Account" and add it under Billing Information. Travelocity will recognize the card and add your rewards balance at the top of your my account page.