FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Credit Card Programs (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/credit-card-programs-599/)
-   -   How good is the Travelocity credit card? [Originally Mastercard, now Amex] (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/credit-card-programs/978593-how-good-travelocity-credit-card-originally-mastercard-now-amex.html)

ethanwa Feb 7, 2011 4:59 pm

Originally Posted by bluto (Post 15802470)
To clarify an additional point, they charge the full amount to your credit card (not the net) and then separately they post a $400 credit to your credit card. This is kind of nice because often the $400 credit will post first. Also, you earn additional travelocity points on the full amount of your purchase not the net.

Am I hearing this right? We earn rewards points on our rewards bookings? So a $3000 points-only rewards booking would actually get me an additional 15,000 points, because it's charged to my card and then credited?

That's fantastic if it's true.

bluto Feb 7, 2011 6:27 pm

Originally Posted by ethanwa (Post 15821792)
Am I hearing this right? We earn rewards points on our rewards bookings? So a $3000 points-only rewards booking would actually get me an additional 15,000 points, because it's charged to my card and then credited?

That's fantastic if it's true.

That is right.

nydad Feb 7, 2011 10:35 pm

Originally Posted by ethanwa (Post 15821792)
So a $3000 points-only rewards booking would actually get me an additional 15,000 points, because it's charged to my card and then credited?

Holy Cow! I am glad that I got the original mastercard before it was enhanced.

ethanwa Feb 7, 2011 10:36 pm

Originally Posted by nydad (Post 15823350)
Holy Cow! I am glad that I got the original mastercard before it was enhanced.

Why's that?

UA Fan Feb 8, 2011 7:11 pm

Is there a TL MC or Amex or both, of both which is the better one?

For those who earn 1pt/$, is there anything about this card that is better than US Bank Flexperks?

ethanwa Feb 8, 2011 7:21 pm

Originally Posted by UA Fan (Post 15829154)
Is there a TL MC or Amex or both, of both which is the better one?

For those who earn 1pt/$, is there anything about this card that is better than US Bank Flexperks?

Tough call. Looks like you get the same things as the Travelocity card but with Visa Signature benefits and more redemption options. You get a bigger first-use bonus (2500 more points) and more bonus points for charitable donations (3x vs 1x on Travelocity Amex). It also gives some nice extras but most of them are useless to most people. The 3500 point bonus for $24k spend is nice.

The Travelocity card does give you the option for 2x on restaurants (which is what I choose as my category) and 5x on Travelocity purchases, which is a fantastic deal. It's also $10 cheaper per year.

I'd say the card is comparable, but if you travel often and book often through Travelocity, you'll rack up rewards quicker with the Travelocity Amex card.

It all really just depends on how you use the cards.

UA Fan Feb 8, 2011 7:54 pm

Originally Posted by ethanwa (Post 15829190)
Tough call. Looks like you get the same things as the Travelocity card but with Visa Signature benefits and more redemption options. You get a bigger first-use bonus (2500 more points) and more bonus points for charitable donations (3x vs 1x on Travelocity Amex). It also gives some nice extras but most of them are useless to most people. The 3500 point bonus for $24k spend is nice.

The Travelocity card does give you the option for 2x on restaurants (which is what I choose as my category) and 5x on Travelocity purchases, which is a fantastic deal. It's also $10 cheaper per year.

I'd say the card is comparable, but if you travel often and book often through Travelocity, you'll rack up rewards quicker with the Travelocity Amex card.

It all really just depends on how you use the cards.

Is there a TL Amex or MC or both?

ethanwa Feb 8, 2011 7:58 pm

Originally Posted by UA Fan (Post 15829338)
Is there a TL Amex or MC or both?

There was once a Mastercard that gave 4x on Travelocity and 2x on everything else. It was changed to Amex this last year and people who had the card got grandfathered in with the old 4/2 scheme. All new sign-ups to the Amex now have the 5/2/1 scheme.

Ethan

UA Fan Feb 8, 2011 8:43 pm

Originally Posted by ethanwa (Post 15829363)
There was once a Mastercard that gave 4x on Travelocity and 2x on everything else. It was changed to Amex this last year and people who had the card got grandfathered in with the old 4/2 scheme. All new sign-ups to the Amex now have the 5/2/1 scheme.

Ethan

Then there's one more benefit with US bank in that it uses Visa.

ethanwa Feb 8, 2011 8:44 pm

Originally Posted by UA Fan (Post 15829541)
Then there's one more benefit with US bank in that it uses Visa.

Very true.

BC300 Feb 26, 2011 5:39 pm

Do I still earn points when calling Travelocity to book flights?

I have tried for 30 minutes now to ‘search’ for a set of flights that I found first on Kayak.com without any luck. :confused:

My question is—will I still be able to earn my Travelocity multiplier by booking flights via calling Travelocity vs. booking on Travelocity.com?

Has anyone made a purchase from Travelocity by calling them directly and still earned their proper amount of reward points per their Travelocity card’s T&Cs?

Any thoughts are appreciated!! :)

bluto Feb 26, 2011 7:41 pm

Originally Posted by BC300 (Post 15938730)
I have tried for 30 minutes now to ‘search’ for a set of flights that I found first on Kayak.com without any luck. :confused:

My question is—will I still be able to earn my Travelocity multiplier by booking flights via calling Travelocity vs. booking on Travelocity.com?

Has anyone made a purchase from Travelocity by calling them directly and still earned their proper amount of reward points per their Travelocity card’s T&Cs?

Any thoughts are appreciated!! :)

I have not booked by calling Travelocity before so I can't directly answer your question. However, I have run into the situation where Kayak displayed a stale price (i.e. I click through to Orbitz or Travelocity.com or wherever, and the $199 I saw on kayak is longer $199 on the online agency, but something higher like $249).

AUDirt Apr 1, 2011 8:03 pm

(I'm sure this post has been said in similar words elsewhere in this thread. Sorry for dredging up the past ;))

Why does the Travelocity AMEX get so little love?

I have both FlexPerks and Travelocity and, IMO, it's not even close.

First, that card earns two points on some purchases, 5pts on Travelocity purchases, 1pt on everything else. Second, it has the same redemption (i.e. 20,000pts = $400 credit). BUT... you can choose to pay cash for any overage. If you have a $412 ticket (something that happens to me a lot), you can pay $12 in cash and 20,000 points.

(To be fair I have the old version of the Travelocity card which gives 2 points on everything and has the same redemption levels. In short, it's "tha bomb.")

To those that say, "AMEX isn't taken everywhere," -- that's a good point. But it's taken most places :)

dave7250 Apr 2, 2011 10:01 am

Originally Posted by AUDirt (Post 16145223)
(I'm sure this post has been said in similar words elsewhere in this thread. Sorry for dredging up the past ;))

Why does the Travelocity AMEX get so little love?

I have both FlexPerks and Travelocity and, IMO, it's not even close.

First, that card earns two points on some purchases, 5pts on Travelocity purchases, 1pt on everything else. Second, it has the same redemption (i.e. 20,000pts = $400 credit). BUT... you can choose to pay cash for any overage. If you have a $412 ticket (something that happens to me a lot), you can pay $12 in cash and 20,000 points.

(To be fair I have the old version of the Travelocity card which gives 2 points on everything and has the same redemption levels. In short, it's "tha bomb.")

To those that say, "AMEX isn't taken everywhere," -- that's a good point. But it's taken most places :)

I don't know about others here but it has been impossible for me to deal with Barclays Bank (who issues the Traveocity card). My credit is good yet I have only been approved for a card one time in my life from Barclays and it had an insulting credit line of $500 while my other creditors were giving me 20K-30K credit lines. That's why the Travelocity AMEX gets no love from me.

AUDirt Apr 2, 2011 12:36 pm

Originally Posted by dave7250 (Post 16147397)
I don't know about others here but it has been impossible for me to deal with Barclays Bank (who issues the Traveocity card). My credit is good yet I have only been approved for a card one time in my life from Barclays and it had an insulting credit line of $500 while my other creditors were giving me 20K-30K credit lines. That's why the Travelocity AMEX gets no love from me.

Yeah, I'm with you there. The $500 credit limit would be totally unworkable.

Now that I remember back, they did offer me a credit line of $5k vs. the $12k line that FlexPerks offered me. I've been with them for a while now and have gotten that limit raised to a completely adequate $11,500.