Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > Credit Card Programs
Reload this Page >

Schwab Invest Visa? 2% cash back on everything? [Discontinued card]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Schwab Invest Visa? 2% cash back on everything? [Discontinued card]

Search this Thread

Old Sep 18, 2011, 1:02 pm

The three I have received and I've looked long and hard have no mention of the foreign transaction fee......are they playing games?
Old Sep 18, 2011, 3:43 pm
Suspended

Programs: DL SM, UA MP.
If you have no plans to use the replacement card. do you cancel or just not activate it?
Old Sep 18, 2011, 6:06 pm

Originally Posted by Montacute
No, this is not true. Some of us, myself included, have posted that we received an actual mailing from BOA, outlining the reductions in benefits, and the 3% forex fee. For me, it the second mailing I received after the initial "your card is changing" letter. The latest letter also said I needed to mail back acceptance of the annual fee card if that was the replacement I wanted. Both card options they offered me had the 3% forex fee stated in black and white.
I guess this is very much a YMMV situation. I have both the 2nd and 3rd letters in front of me and there is no mention of any forex fees in either of them. Can you tell us exactly where the forex fees are described in your letter?
Old Sep 18, 2011, 6:19 pm

Originally Posted by uszkanni
I guess this is very much a YMMV situation. I have both the 2nd and 3rd letters in front of me and there is no mention of any forex fees in either of them. Can you tell us exactly where the forex fees are described in your letter?
Yes, with the letter I got there was a separate T&C fact sheet. It was not mentioned in the letter, but was on the separate T&C fact sheet that was enclosed. Also enclosed was a postage-paid envelope and card election form, for choosing the annual fee Visa.
Old Sep 18, 2011, 9:22 pm

Programs: AA, DL, SPG, Hyatt
Originally Posted by wco81
If you have no plans to use the replacement card. do you cancel or just not activate it?
Why cancel it or not activate it? Why not just activate it and put it away and never use it? That way you can let the account age and help improve your credit score.

But if you are set on having it eventually canceled, I would recommend doing it yourself. If you never activate it, BofA will eventually close it...it's always better to have accounts "closed by consumer" rather than by the creditor.
Old Sep 18, 2011, 10:07 pm

Originally Posted by Montacute
Yes, with the letter I got there was a separate T&C fact sheet. It was not mentioned in the letter, but was on the separate T&C fact sheet that was enclosed. Also enclosed was a postage-paid envelope and card election form, for choosing the annual fee Visa.
Thanks for the info. I only got a cover letter describing the changes and a second page with a brief comparison of the Cash Rewards vs Privileges card. The second page had a detachable form at the bottom to fill out if I wanted to select the Privileges card. Neither the letter nor the card comparson page mentioned forex fees. Maybe there was a third page which was mistakenly not included in everyone's mailings.
Old Sep 19, 2011, 12:01 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by uszkanni
Thanks for the info. I only got a cover letter describing the changes and a second page with a brief comparison of the Cash Rewards vs Privileges card. The second page had a detachable form at the bottom to fill out if I wanted to select the Privileges card. Neither the letter nor the card comparson page mentioned forex fees. Maybe there was a third page which was mistakenly not included in everyone's mailings.
This is what I got too. The 2nd letter is to inform the reduction of benefits.

I have not received the 3rd letter yet.

This conversion seems like a mucked up job judged by all these separate mailings. Why mail 3 different letters to give customer a little bit information at a time?!
Old Sep 19, 2011, 3:16 am

Programs: UA 1K, Avis PC, Hertz PC, Sixt Plat, Marriott Gold, HH Silver
Originally Posted by rionio77
Why cancel it or not activate it? Why not just activate it and put it away and never use it? That way you can let the account age and help improve your credit score.

But if you are set on having it eventually canceled, I would recommend doing it yourself. If you never activate it, BofA will eventually close it...it's always better to have accounts "closed by consumer" rather than by the creditor.
And in that case it would be better to close the FIA card rather than the new BofA card. You would be closing an account that is several years old rather than an account that is only a few months old. Closing an account only a few months old makes you look like a churner.
Old Sep 19, 2011, 11:45 am

I got three letters so far:

1) We have some "exciting" new changes. Stay tuned.

2) Your 2% cash back benefit ends at the end of October. But we're going to send you an "exciting" new card that gives you 1% cash back (1.1% if you have a BofA checking account). Or you can pay a hefty annual fee and get 1.5% cash back if you have a BofA checking account. We'll send you full details when we mail you the card, but you have to decide now which card you want before we tell you those details.

3) While we're at it, we're also reducing your travel accident insurance and taking away ID theft recovery and purchase protection. We're not going to make it clear whether this only applies to the old FIA card (if you keep using it after the 2% cash back benefit ends) or whether it relates to one of the new BofA cards we're going to send you. Because we like keeping things interesting.

None of these said anything about forex fees, nor did they include any inserts saying anything about forex fees that I saw.
Old Sep 19, 2011, 11:49 am

Originally Posted by themicah
I got three letters so far:

1) We have some "exciting" new changes. Stay tuned.

2) Your 2% cash back benefit ends at the end of October. But we're going to send you an "exciting" new card that gives you 1% cash back (1.1% if you have a BofA checking account). Or you can pay a hefty annual fee and get 1.5% cash back if you have a BofA checking account. We'll send you full details when we mail you the card, but you have to decide now which card you want before we tell you those details.

3) While we're at it, we're also reducing your travel accident insurance and taking away ID theft recovery and purchase protection. We're not going to make it clear whether this only applies to the old FIA card (if you keep using it after the 2% cash back benefit ends) or whether it relates to one of the new BofA cards we're going to send you. Because we like keeping things interesting.

None of these said anything about forex fees, nor did they include any inserts saying anything about forex fees that I saw.
Yup. I got the same three. It's just a chain of progressive removal of benefits.
Old Sep 19, 2011, 2:08 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

FIA website has been down since Sunday

It said it is down for maintenance when I went there on Sunday. This afternoon the same message remains - this is a Monday Afternoon and they are doing maintenance?!

Calling customer service now and has been on hold over 10 minutes already...
Old Sep 19, 2011, 2:58 pm

Originally Posted by Happy
It said it is down for maintenance when I went there on Sunday. This afternoon the same message remains - this is a Monday Afternoon and they are doing maintenance?!

Calling customer service now and has been on hold over 10 minutes already...
It was up yesterday when I was checking my account and to pay my bill.
Old Sep 19, 2011, 10:12 pm

Originally Posted by Happy
ShopSafe is just the Virtual Account Number isn't it?

All Citi Mastercard and Visa cards offer that feature. Though Citi's version is more rigid in that it does not allow you to set the amount / expiration date but FIA/BofA's would.
I have a Citi AAdvantage AMEX, not a MC/Visa.
And several Chase cards and two CapitalOne. None of them have this feature.
Old Sep 20, 2011, 9:39 am
akp

Programs: Hilton Diamond
won't it just continue as same account?

Originally Posted by CaptainMiles
Originally Posted by rionio77

And in that case it would be better to close the FIA card rather than the new BofA card. You would be closing an account that is several years old rather than an account that is only a few months old. Closing an account only a few months old makes you look like a churner.
Will this appear as a new account on credit reports, or will it continue the history of the formerly-Schwab-now-fia card?

If new account, I will definitely close

Anita
Old Sep 20, 2011, 10:03 am

Programs: AA, DL, SPG, Hyatt
Originally Posted by akp
Will this appear as a new account on credit reports, or will it continue the history of the formerly-Schwab-now-fia card?

If new account, I will definitely close

Anita
My understanding is that the old account information will rollover to the new BofA card, with all of your history from the FIA account shown on the new BofA account. If I'm wrong, someone please chime in. So in essence, you would be keeping your credit history and adding to the age of your account.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.