Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > Credit Card Programs
Reload this Page >

Schwab Invest Visa? 2% cash back on everything? [Discontinued card]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Schwab Invest Visa? 2% cash back on everything? [Discontinued card]

Search this Thread

Old Sep 12, 2011, 7:31 pm

So, what's the strategy on cancelling the card. Should we cancel the card before the new one comes? Cancel when the new one comes but before it's activated or cancel after the new card is activated?
Old Sep 12, 2011, 7:44 pm

I don't get why anyone would pay the $75/year for the Prestige card with 1% cash back. You can get quarterly rotating 3x or even 5x bonuses on any number of fee free cards (Chase Freedom, Discover, etc.). And the extra 40bps you get if you have a BoA bank account doesn't even pay back the $75 fee until you spend almost $20k per year.

Originally Posted by jonny1
how about a card that gives 5% cashback on all gas. grocery and supermarket purchase all time unlimited with no nonsense catagories? i wanetd penfed but it gives only 1% on grocery/supermarket
There was a time when I had three different cards (from Citi, Chase and HSBC) that gave 5% cashback on all gas grocery and drugstore purchases all the time (although subject to annual limits). Alas, all those cards got "enhanced" to lower rewards as well.

Oh well. I guess I'll keep the fee free BoA card in the drawer for the occasional Fandango Visa Signature promo. But I'll probably get a PenFed Amex and use my (shudder) CapOne Visa as backup for forex stuff.
Old Sep 12, 2011, 9:09 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I'd like to make two quick points here about the last few days of posts:

1 - The "discount rate" or fee that merchants pay to their bank to accept this card is probably greater than 3% on average. Yes, the average Visa is close to 2%, but this is a Signature with features, and there is a different schedule on the interchange list for this type of card. No merchant pays only 2% when we use this card.

2 - While getting 3% from merchants seems like it should make a 2% card profitable, even with customers who pay in full each month, the proof is in the pudding. No other bank offers one; the one that did is pulling it. It's just not profitable or there would have been competitors.
Old Sep 13, 2011, 12:40 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by josephstern
1 - The "discount rate" or fee that merchants pay to their bank to accept this card is probably greater than 3% on average. Yes, the average Visa is close to 2%, but this is a Signature with features, and there is a different schedule on the interchange list for this type of card. No merchant pays only 2% when we use this card.
On the merchant account I manage, we pay 1.5% for normal MC/Visa and 2.3% for rewards cards, etc. This is a small business. I imagine large companies do better.

2 - While getting 3% from merchants seems like it should make a 2% card profitable, even with customers who pay in full each month, the proof is in the pudding. No other bank offers one; the one that did is pulling it. It's just not profitable or there would have been competitors.
Well, on this we agree. And the discount rate has to be split three ways: the merchant acquirer (merchant's bank), the card issuer (customer's bank), and Visa (the network).
Old Sep 13, 2011, 6:17 am

Programs: AA LT PLT, SPG Gold
Originally Posted by SirWilliam
I got my second letter today stating that it will be replaced by the end of October with the BofA Cash Rewards card.

What is everyone switching to?
I am thinking about a Starwood AMEX or maybe even an Amazon Visa.
I had already been using SPG Amex as my primary card for years prior to getting the CS Visa...so I would strongly suggest going that route. you'll find it's easy to get better than $0.02/Starpoint for hotel/airfare on SPG...so assuming you travel even occasionally you'll likely find the Amex is a superior card. However, now I too am in the boat of those looking for a new backup for the times a vendor doesn't take Amex...or for purchases abroad.
Old Sep 13, 2011, 8:27 am

The most logical non-Amex replacement would seem to be CapitalOne's Cash Rewards Mastercard. No annual fee, no foreign purchase fee, and effective 1.5% cash back on everything (1% on each transaction plus a 50% annual bonus on cash back earned). The only big downside is that it's CapOne, and I've found their customer service to be very difficult to work with. Also I believe you have the manually redeem the rewards, but that's not that big a deal.
Old Sep 13, 2011, 10:46 am

Originally Posted by Happy
Actually I dont agree a miser mind-set would make him 100M. But that is a very off topic subject therefore I digress.
You are right about the "miser mindset" not making someone 100 million. But I did not use the word miser. FYI, I never made more than about $90,000 annually, but I can cash a check today for 2.6 million and it will clear after some settlements, so I still believe in the total determined mindset of an individual having a great deal to do with wealth accumulation.
Old Sep 13, 2011, 3:42 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I'd like to make two quick points here about the last few days of posts:

You have excellent points as supported by the latest round of 0% APR balance transfer checks we got from Chase - they have been coming like every other week on every Chase card - the main difference is now the fee has dropped drastically from previous 3 to 4% to now only $5 or 1% of the transaction, whichever is higher. This tells me the banks rather make money on your 1% upfront fee than on your making charges on the card! Even though it would mean the banks need to take on the default risk with the 0% BT. That means the reward cards without annual fee might actually be a money losers to the banks after the 3-way split of the fee.

Last edited by Happy; Sep 13, 2011 at 3:47 pm
Old Sep 13, 2011, 3:45 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by bigbuy
You are right about the "miser mindset" not making someone 100 million. But I did not use the word miser. FYI, I never made more than about $90,000 annually, but I can cash a check today for 2.6 million and it will clear after some settlements, so I still believe in the total determined mindset of an individual having a great deal to do with wealth accumulation.
Sorry I fail to see the relevance here?
Old Sep 13, 2011, 3:53 pm

Originally Posted by bigbuy

So too can a great 21 foot jump shot.
Old Sep 13, 2011, 6:42 pm
Moderator: Alaska Mileage Plan

Got my second letter today. Will put the new BofA Cash Rewards card in the drawer when received.

As I posted earlier, I'm moving to the C1 1.5% Cash MasterCard.
Old Sep 13, 2011, 7:39 pm

Location: Clinging to the edifices of a decadent past from the biggest city in America nobody really cares about.
Programs: (ಠ_ಠ)
Got the same letter here too -- BoA.

What do folks think of the Fidelity 2% AX (or 1.5% / 2% Visa?)
Old Sep 13, 2011, 9:09 pm

Programs: AA EXP
Originally Posted by J.Edward
Got the same letter here too -- BoA.

What do folks think of the Fidelity 2% AX (or 1.5% / 2% Visa?)
Got my letter today. Will be drawering BoA card...

I think the fidelity charges a foreign transaction fee....I think the next best card (without any foreign transaction fee) will be CapOne Cash Reward Mastercard (1% but will give 50% match annually = 1.5%). Already applied today for CapOne Cash Reward MC and was approved instantly!
Old Sep 13, 2011, 9:30 pm

Location: Clinging to the edifices of a decadent past from the biggest city in America nobody really cares about.
Programs: (ಠ_ಠ)
Originally Posted by ddsohn
Got my letter today. Will be drawering BoA card...

I think the fidelity charges a foreign transaction fee....I think the next best card (without any foreign transaction fee) will be CapOne Cash Reward Mastercard (1% but will give 50% match annually = 1.5%). Already applied today for CapOne Cash Reward MC and was approved instantly!
Right -- for my FX spend I've got the Chase PPlus as well as a CapitalOne card (and FWIW the Venture card will give 2% back on travel, if managed correctly) so I really was not factoring in FX spend, just how to deal with USD charges.

Blah. Really wish we could have kept the status quo, but oh well...so I guess the questions I really need to answer are:
a) what card to use for non AX purchases domestically? (looking like Capital One Venture for the 2% back via travel.)

b) SPG AX vs Fidelity AX for US spend? (Honestly torn here: value SPG @ $.025 but 2% liquid cash is also nice...need to mull that one over)

c) FX spend? (Guessing either the Venture Card or my Chase PPlus.)
Old Sep 14, 2011, 4:02 am

Location: EWR Ionosphere Club, LAX Clipper Club, Still Traveling Global, yearly BIS miles
Programs: EAL Silver Wings, I-Club, Flying Colonels DL, WorldPass PLat from the olde Meatball and PE SMARTbank
Did anyone get a 2% card?
what is it called?
thanks

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.