Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > Credit Card Programs
Reload this Page >

Schwab Invest Visa? 2% cash back on everything? [Discontinued card]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Schwab Invest Visa? 2% cash back on everything? [Discontinued card]

Search this Thread

Old Sep 2, 2011, 4:20 am

Originally Posted by Mountain Trader
One other observation-I don't disparage BofA for dumping the Schwab card. As I've posted in the past, I'm surprised they kept it this long-they couldn't have made much if anything on that card.

I wonder what BofAs card strategy is-they obviously aren't serious players in the airline business. Do they have other market segments where they lead?
They lead the world in asinine fees to gouge their customers.....such as on their debit cards charging you $2 to check your balance on an ATM not one of theirs........or charging fees and very high ones at that for ATM withdrawals from bank ATM's in foreign countries not in their special network. A bunch of pieces of slime if you ask me.

Last edited by JEFFJAGUAR; Sep 2, 2011 at 6:10 am
Old Sep 2, 2011, 9:33 am

Programs: DL Plat (won't hit DM again) 2MM (2.5), HH Gold, PC Gold, Hyatt Plat
Originally Posted by cardtracker
He indicated that based upon the demographic of each customer the customer would be presented with a choice of cards when the switch occurs. Apparently, there is only one card that will offer 2% cash back and you're not guaranteed that will be one of your choices when the switch occurs.
Given the ability to data mine and analyze spending patterns I expect that there will be several variations -- although I'll be pleasantly surprised if I'm given choices without having to call and negotiate.

However, several years ago, CapOne sent me an "upgrade" offer on my Visa Platinum card. One of the options, the one I took was 5% on gas, groceries and drug stores, 1% on all else. But the cashback is 2 point per dollar.
What is especially interesting is that when I got my Venture card in the 100,000 mile promo, I can move points from the 1/5% card to the Venture card and get 1 point per dollar value for the points on travel purchases.

I can't remember what the other "upgrades" offered were -- maybe a reduction in the APR, but since I don't ever carry a balance, the 5% was the best deal for me.
Old Sep 2, 2011, 10:39 am

Programs: UA Gold, HH Diamond, Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by soitgoes
The NW card was converted to US Bank Flexperks. That is different than B of A. (And there is a fee-free US Bank Flexperks option with less generous point earning.)
Oh, right. I just got confused. Oh well.
Old Sep 2, 2011, 7:03 pm

Got the letter today (NY),,,,as others have said here, it's over.
Old Sep 3, 2011, 3:50 pm

Programs: AMEX Business Centurion
Well, this just sucks. It's somewhat surprising that BofA didn't think of something to do with all of us. As a group, those of us who initially had the Schwab Visa represent something that in my mind has some value (the obvious thing being a giant group of clients of one of Merrill's competitors). Anyway, it was nice while it lasted. I absolutely abhor every instance of contact I've had with BofA and FIA. So, I am actually quite surprised that it lasted as long as it has.

Let's pool our intelligence and figure out what the next best cash back/no forex/no annual fee card is, folks. Post em here if you have any leads.
Old Sep 3, 2011, 4:22 pm

Programs: Amex Platinum, Marriott Gold, Hertz #1 Club Gold, DL GM, SPG Gold
I just called FIA Card Services...similar answers to what everyone else has heard.

This was my first credit card, and I got it two years ago when I graduated from college, so it was great to be able to use it for two years. (I was able to put one semester of grad school tuition on this card--which was awesome).

The guy from FIA card services made it seem like you will get "one point" (which I guess is 1%) for all purchases, or "one and a half points" (which I guess is 1.5%) back if you transfer the money to a BoA account, Merrill Edge, or (and I think he said) any other Merrill Lynch account. I do have a Merrill Lynch account, but I am definitely not going to get a BoA account.

The FIA person didn't seem to know when we will have to switch over to the new card, but he said that he would be happy to do it right now. I said no thanks, I'm gonna keep the 2% as long as possible. Hopefully we'll be able to get a few more months out of the card.
Old Sep 3, 2011, 4:50 pm

Originally Posted by tangfish
Well, this just sucks. It's somewhat surprising that BofA didn't think of something to do with all of us. As a group, those of us who initially had the Schwab Visa represent something that in my mind has some value (the obvious thing being a giant group of clients of one of Merrill's competitors). Anyway, it was nice while it lasted. I absolutely abhor every instance of contact I've had with BofA and FIA. So, I am actually quite surprised that it lasted as long as it has.

Let's pool our intelligence and figure out what the next best cash back/no forex/no annual fee card is, folks. Post em here if you have any leads.
+1 to this. I've searched up and down, and there just doesn't seem to be a card as well-rounded as this one. Yes, you have miles cards, but this card is straight cash-back, which is better for some of us, has no FOREX or annual fee, has features like Price Protection (came in very handy for me a few times), and has world-wide acceptance, being a Visa. It seems like it will take 2-3 other cards to equal what this one does
Old Sep 5, 2011, 3:43 pm

Question Lost card/change number

I appear to have lost my FIA card after using it while out and slipping it in my pocket not in the wallet. Stupid of me, I know. It may still be around the house, and I haven't seen any suspicious charges (I *love* that the FIA site shows pending transactions instantly; I will sorely miss that with another card).

The question is whether we'll be able to keep the current terms and rewards until the real transition (Nov/Dec per posts here, though the letter we received has no details) if I call and report it lost -- will they issue new cards/numbers, or force us onto the new program now? I hesitate to even call and ask until I'm certain it's lost if there's a chance of being shunted over early.
Old Sep 5, 2011, 4:47 pm

Not sure what the rule is on posting to other forums, but there is a post at FW that indicates some people have received letters that they are getting converted to a Cash Premier BoA card that appears to have some good rewards: http://www.fatwallet.com/forums/fina...71/?start=3360. It actually sounds better than the Scwab card.
Old Sep 5, 2011, 4:58 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

$25 annual fee for the 2.5% BofA card.

So the first $1000 spent would be to offset the fee. After that you start earning 2.5%.

Not too bad but it is still 3% forex fee so you would have to leave home without it.
Old Sep 5, 2011, 8:37 pm

Programs: AA, DL, SPG, Hyatt
Originally Posted by jmastron
I appear to have lost my FIA card after using it while out and slipping it in my pocket not in the wallet. Stupid of me, I know. It may still be around the house, and I haven't seen any suspicious charges (I *love* that the FIA site shows pending transactions instantly; I will sorely miss that with another card).

The question is whether we'll be able to keep the current terms and rewards until the real transition (Nov/Dec per posts here, though the letter we received has no details) if I call and report it lost -- will they issue new cards/numbers, or force us onto the new program now? I hesitate to even call and ask until I'm certain it's lost if there's a chance of being shunted over early.
I don't know what they will do when you ask for a replacement card, but I do know that both AMEX and Chase have added Pending Transactions to their websites. I particularly love AMEX's layout--because it tells you the exact type of Merchant code/category for all transactions.

But on the topic at hand, I will sorely miss the Schwab 2% CB Visa. RIP indeed...but it was too good and I knew it had to end...just was hoping that it wasn't this soon.
Old Sep 5, 2011, 8:50 pm

Programs: AA, DL, SPG, Hyatt
Originally Posted by Happy
$25 annual fee for the 2.5% BofA card.

So the first $1000 spent would be to offset the fee. After that you start earning 2.5%.

Not too bad but it is still 3% forex fee so you would have to leave home without it.
If that's really the case, then this will be a pretty sweet card! I just changed my address so I'm still waiting for my letter and details.

Just wonder how many people will offered this card. It'll be pretty easy to find another card without FX transaction fees with the staple CapitalOne cards and the selective Citi and Chase cards that now offer no FX fees.
Old Sep 6, 2011, 1:51 pm

Originally Posted by jmastron
My wife's wallet was stolen a couple weeks ago and we got replacement ex-Schwab cards without any problem. I wouldn't worry.
Old Sep 6, 2011, 5:44 pm

Originally Posted by rionio77
If that's really the case, then this will be a pretty sweet card! I just changed my address so I'm still waiting for my letter and details.

Just wonder how many people will offered this card. It'll be pretty easy to find another card without FX transaction fees with the staple CapitalOne cards and the selective Citi and Chase cards that now offer no FX fees.
I wonder if that card is for certain states only...anyways if that is the case for anyone then I am pretty happy with that.
Old Sep 7, 2011, 5:52 pm
Original Member

Programs: AAMM & PLT; UA Gold, DL Silver, Marriott LT Titanium Elite, Hilton Diamond, Hertz #1 Gold Club
Got my second letter today . Seems I have been "upgraded" to BankAmerica Cash Rewards" Credit card....

1% on everyday purchases
2% groceries
3% gas.

Card will go into sock drawer.

Schwab Visa is dead - RIP 10/31/2011!

Last edited by jamflyer; Sep 7, 2011 at 5:59 pm Reason: provide more detail

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.