Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > Credit Card Programs
Reload this Page >

Schwab Invest Visa? 2% cash back on everything? [Discontinued card]

Schwab Invest Visa? 2% cash back on everything? [Discontinued card]

Old Jul 8, 2011, 9:39 am

Originally Posted by Happy

So, they all have something equal to, or slightly better than the ex-Schwab card which the only good thing about it is the 2% is a no brainer straight cash. That is pretty much about it.
And about all it takes-straight cash is still king over at my place.
Old Jul 8, 2011, 1:47 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Mountain Trader
And about all it takes-straight cash is still king over at my place.
Personal taste obviously.

The cash involved is not a whole lot in our case that I dont mind to have the cash equivalent parked at other places especially the TYP 25% discount on flight redemption.

Besides, on top of each card has its own benefits and features, it is always a sound option to carry more than one 0% forex card when travel. What if your ex-Schwab card not accepted? This happened twice in our recent trip when paying at a swipe machine. Though I suspect it is due to the cashier swiping the card too rapidly. But it did give me a jolt when it first happened when it was very early in the trip, like the 2nd day on land... Renfe at Seville the "Same Day" desk girl claimed my card was no good, while the very same card was used no more than 10 minutes ago at another desk (the future dates desk).

I had other 0% forex cards with us so I wasn't too concerned if the ex-Schwab card stopped working.
Old Jul 9, 2011, 3:24 pm

Originally Posted by Happy
Personal taste obviously.

The cash involved is not a whole lot in our case that I dont mind to have the cash equivalent parked at other places especially the TYP 25% discount on flight redemption.

Besides, on top of each card has its own benefits and features, it is always a sound option to carry more than one 0% forex card when travel. What if your ex-Schwab card not accepted? This happened twice in our recent trip when paying at a swipe machine. Though I suspect it is due to the cashier swiping the card too rapidly. But it did give me a jolt when it first happened when it was very early in the trip, like the 2nd day on land... Renfe at Seville the "Same Day" desk girl claimed my card was no good, while the very same card was used no more than 10 minutes ago at another desk (the future dates desk).

I had other 0% forex cards with us so I wasn't too concerned if the ex-Schwab card stopped working.
It also helps to call schwab before and tell them that your traveling to make sure you dont get your card closed
Old Jul 9, 2011, 4:36 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by AlexSTC
It also helps to call schwab before and tell them that your traveling to make sure you dont get your card closed
They are always informed on each trip. They are actually not very careful in taking down the countries you will travel.

One time I had to re-iterate that we would be in Turkey when the lady just declared that all our countries were in Europe so just Europe would be enough... No M'ame, Turkey is not in Euro zone. Please do notate that the card would be used in Turkey and the currency would be Turkish Lire.

Frankly I am not sure the travel advisory is necessary.

In the past when we used Citi's card we never informed Citi where we went but the card(s) never encountered any issue all over the world. I suppose the previous spending pattern would clue the computer.

When we informed AMEX SPG our travel plan we got the response that it was not necessary at all and AMEX would still shut down the card in case its system detected irregularities (as "thought" by the computer).

I would love to try out the infamous C1 cards to see if it is really very bad to be easily shut down when used outside country.
Old Jul 10, 2011, 6:19 am

While all the travel books say to notify your credit card issuer if you are doing some international travel, and I really don't have any problems with that, it really doesn't seem to make any difference as noted above. The computer will be on the look out for what it considers suspicious charges. I have switched over to the FIA card for my international travel after years of using the AA advantage cards (I tried to rationalize it to myself that I was paying 3% to earn miles I wouldn't get with other cards) but the allure of 2% back on everything (sure it's not all that much but it's better than nothing) meant in my warped mind I was getting a 5% bonus for my international travel (or in other words, the AA miles were costing me 5% of whatever I purchased) but I digress. Like I said sometimes I notify them, sometimes I don't. I just got back from 5 weeks in Europe charging up a storm (well I believe in charging everything everywhere no matter how large or small and keeing my use of cash to the barest minimum) and not one charge was rejected. I think this notify your bank is meaningless for the most part but again I'm not saying not to do it.
Old Jul 10, 2011, 7:14 am

Programs: AA 4MM EXP; Starwood Lifetime Plt
Originally Posted by JEFFJAGUAR

... I just got back from 5 weeks in Europe charging up a storm (well I believe in charging everything everywhere no matter how large or small and keeing my use of cash to the barest minimum) and not one charge was rejected. I think this notify your bank is meaningless for the most part but again I'm not saying not to do it.

FIA ex-Schwab was never rejected a charge of mine anywhere in the world, as far as I can remember, and my charging philosophy is similar to JEFFJAGUAR's. CapitalOne, on the other hand, does reject charges from time to time, even with advance notification.
Old Jul 11, 2011, 4:35 pm

Originally Posted by JEFFJAGUAR
While all the travel books say to notify your credit card issuer if you are doing some international travel, and I really don't have any problems with that, it really doesn't seem to make any difference as noted above. The computer will be on the look out for what it considers suspicious charges. I have switched over to the FIA card for my international travel after years of using the AA advantage cards (I tried to rationalize it to myself that I was paying 3% to earn miles I wouldn't get with other cards) but the allure of 2% back on everything (sure it's not all that much but it's better than nothing) meant in my warped mind I was getting a 5% bonus for my international travel (or in other words, the AA miles were costing me 5% of whatever I purchased) but I digress. Like I said sometimes I notify them, sometimes I don't. I just got back from 5 weeks in Europe charging up a storm (well I believe in charging everything everywhere no matter how large or small and keeing my use of cash to the barest minimum) and not one charge was rejected. I think this notify your bank is meaningless for the most part but again I'm not saying not to do it.
I agree with your entire post, but I do notify FIA before I go so that, in the unlikely case a charge is rejected, they won't tell me I should have called.
Old Jul 11, 2011, 5:50 pm

Programs: AA EP; Formerly an Over-Entitled UA 1K MM until I wised-up and left UA for AA.
Originally Posted by ajnaro
FIA ex-Schwab was never rejected a charge of mine anywhere in the world, as far as I can remember, and my charging philosophy is similar to JEFFJAGUAR's. CapitalOne, on the other hand, does reject charges from time to time, even with advance notification.
i've had the card formerly-known-as-the-schwab-visa since january, 2009 and have never called to notify them in advance of my travel. like ajnaro's experience, despite frequent int'l travel to many less-than-popular destinations they have never declined any of my charges.
Old Jul 12, 2011, 1:36 am

Originally Posted by alemdohorizonte
i've had the card formerly-known-as-the-schwab-visa since january, 2009 and have never called to notify them in advance of my travel. like ajnaro's experience, despite frequent int'l travel to many less-than-popular destinations they have never declined any of my charges.
They've never declined any of mine either, but they did put a fraud hold on a mobile phone rental (Softbank) in Japan earlier this year. I did notify them of my travel plans prior to leaving.
Old Jul 16, 2011, 10:23 am

Angry finance charged waived for schwab 2% cashback credit card?

is fia waived finance charged? they only waived my late fee. promise to waive finance charged, called back 5 times but still no credit yet. please help.
Old Jul 17, 2011, 9:16 am

Originally Posted by tiffany
is fia waived finance charged? they only waived my late fee. promise to waive finance charged, called back 5 times but still no credit yet. please help.
I don't think there's any rule on that. It's all about your individual and specific circumstances.
Old Jul 21, 2011, 5:43 am

Programs: HH Gold
I'm going to be in London next and all my cards that I use currently have foreign fees. I still have this open and haven't used it for a while, wasn't sure if the terms have changed. Does this still have no foreign fees?
Old Jul 21, 2011, 5:45 am

Programs: HH Gold
Originally Posted by josephstern
Yup - assuming, as above, you mean the credit card, I just called last week to confirm again on the no forex fees.
Just answered my own question.
Old Aug 10, 2011, 7:58 am

is the CC still active ?

I see so many people referring to this 2% cb card as if it were still active but I dont see it on Schwab's website. In fact they seem to have discontinued their CC business.

That being said, can someone confirm whether there is some conversion fee when this debit card is used as a credit card abroad ?
Old Aug 10, 2011, 8:19 am

Programs: AA 4MM EXP; Starwood Lifetime Plt
Originally Posted by rojafly
I see so many people referring to this 2% cb card as if it were still active but I dont see it on Schwab's website. In fact they seem to have discontinued their CC business.

That being said, can someone confirm whether there is some conversion fee when this debit card is used as a credit card abroad ?
The Schwab credit card is not available anymore. It was taken over by Bank of America (FIA) and is now 1% for new applicants. It is called Cash Rewards. The debit card is still available from Schwab for checking account holders and has no conversion fee and no rebate.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.