Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > Credit Card Programs
Reload this Page >

Schwab Invest Visa? 2% cash back on everything? [Discontinued card]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Schwab Invest Visa? 2% cash back on everything? [Discontinued card]

Search this Thread

Old Jan 7, 2011, 6:57 pm

Programs: Alaska MVPG 100K, IHG Ambassador, Hilton Diamond, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott Titanium
Originally Posted by skit53
I'm guessing it's this:
https://easyrewards.fiacardservices.com/

"Record not found" for me though.
Me, either. I did receive a 5x Worldpoints bonus for the BOA card deep in my drawer (except when I receive promo like this). 5x bonus points up to 2,500 points on gas, groceries, and restaurants before March 31. So I am dusting it off for $500 of spend.
Old Jan 8, 2011, 7:05 am

Programs: DL Plat (won't hit DM again) 2MM (2.5), HH Gold, PC Gold, Hyatt Plat
Originally Posted by skit53
I'm guessing it's this:
https://easyrewards.fiacardservices.com/

"Record not found" for me though.
Thanks for posting the link. I tried it and did register and got a message telling me I got the offer on 12/21/10. I may have missed it or it went to spam. In any case, not sure that it is worth it -- 2% plus 1.67% if I just hit the minimum $1500.
Discover is offering 5% on hotels, airfare, etc. for the first $800. So, I'd spend that one first, then go to the Schwab Visa.
Old Jan 29, 2011, 2:35 am
Ambassador: Alaska Airlines

Programs: AS MVP Gold, Priority Pass
Lots of headaches with this card...and unimpressed with the service. Still impressed with 0% forex and 2% cashback, so it will remain my primary overseas card.

Problem #1 - Unfortunately, my card was stolen during the first week of a 2 month international trip. I arranged to have the replacement card mailed to a stopping point (not my home) during a brief 4 day stop back in the states. Extensive explanation and effort had gone into this. Unfortunately FIA fraud and security department cancelled the shipment since it was not going to my home without contacting me. By the time this was discovered, they couldn't get the card to me in time. I'd even called the day before the shipment was to happen to confirm everything was on schedule. Ultimately, they sent the card to a friend who delivered it to me personally in a very rural area of a developing country (no FedEx...)

Problem #2 - this month, with no explanation, my autopayment wasn't drafted from my bank, and my rewards weren't deposited in my bank. Long time on the phone trying to straighten that one out.

On the bright side...no problems forgiving the fraudulent transactions made by the thief. Good thing...since Visa shut down the WRONG card for 24 hours (I have another FIA issued card).
Old Jan 29, 2011, 11:15 am

I just got the new FIA cards. UGLY!
Old Jan 30, 2011, 2:24 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by ANC RED-EYE
Lots of headaches with this card...and unimpressed with the service. Still impressed with 0% forex and 2% cashback, so it will remain my primary overseas card.

Problem #1 - Unfortunately, my card was stolen during the first week of a 2 month international trip. I arranged to have the replacement card mailed to a stopping point (not my home) during a brief 4 day stop back in the states. Extensive explanation and effort had gone into this. Unfortunately FIA fraud and security department cancelled the shipment since it was not going to my home without contacting me. By the time this was discovered, they couldn't get the card to me in time. I'd even called the day before the shipment was to happen to confirm everything was on schedule. Ultimately, they sent the card to a friend who delivered it to me personally in a very rural area of a developing country (no FedEx...)

Problem #2 - this month, with no explanation, my autopayment wasn't drafted from my bank, and my rewards weren't deposited in my bank. Long time on the phone trying to straighten that one out.

On the bright side...no problems forgiving the fraudulent transactions made by the thief. Good thing...since Visa shut down the WRONG card for 24 hours (I have another FIA issued card).
This is mind-boggling - how can they shut down the WRONG card?

FIA closed my other FIA card (initially also was a Schwab card) that I had specifically requested NOT to close nor merge with the current FIA card (the 2% Schwab card) because I still have some WorldPoint on it but not enough to redeem the cash reward, due to inactivity. I pleaded them to re-open it to no avail.

Then the card was declined when I made an online purchase at Vueling for airline tickets. I called and got transferred twice before got to the "right" dept where the rep wasn't too helpful, and had misunderstood me a few times - when I explained I tried to purchase tickets from BCN to GRX, he thought I was in Europe... I had to repeatedly tell him I was at HOME, right in front of my computer and was very frustrated because the transactions failed due to the charges were blocked... It took a good while to make him understand my card was in my possession and FIA needed to lift up the blockage... I have multiple tickets and train tickets to purchase from European LCCs and national trains in coming weeks and I hope it would not be as frustrating experience as the one I just have experienced.

The services indeed have gone worse from the days Schwab still owned it, even though it was managed by FIA - somehow we cardholders got better treatments when Schwab's name still on it.
Old Jan 30, 2011, 5:48 pm
Ambassador: Alaska Airlines

Programs: AS MVP Gold, Priority Pass
Originally Posted by Happy
It is mind-boggling. But, I guess in thinking about it, I cannot hold FIA responsible for this. I learned a lot from this experience...and will likely come better prepared next time. I couldn't find the contact info for this card...without the card right in front of me. Then when I did find something, no one at the police station or at the hotel I stopped in knew how to get an international operator or make a collect call...and I had no money on me as I had just been robbed. I finally found a local toll free for Visa International who took care of the situation for me. I specifically told them that I had TWO cards with FIA - the former Schwab one, and the BofA Alaska Airlines Visa. Unfortunately, I didn't know the cc number for either...but was very specific that it was the FIA formerly schwab card in question, and not the BofA card. In any case...Visa International cancelled the wrong one...and the stolen one didn't get cancelled until about 12 hours later when I was finally able to track down FIA's contact info in order to request a replacement card.

The whole thing was a mess, and I am partly to blame for not having the contact info for each card available to me. I will be better prepared next time...but I hope it never happens again!
Old Jan 30, 2011, 5:52 pm

It is mind-boggling. But, I guess in thinking about it, I cannot hold FIA responsible for this. I learned a lot from this experience...and will likely come better prepared next time. I couldn't find the contact info for this card...without the card right in front of me. Then when I did find something, no one at the police station or at the hotel I stopped in knew how to get an international operator or make a collect call...and I had no money on me as I had just been robbed. I finally found a local toll free for Visa International who took care of the situation for me. I specifically told them that I had TWO cards with FIA - the former Schwab one, and the BofA Alaska Airlines Visa. Unfortunately, I didn't know the cc number for either...but was very specific that it was the FIA formerly schwab card in question, and not the BofA card. In any case...Visa International cancelled the wrong one...and the stolen one didn't get cancelled until about 12 hours later when I was finally able to track down FIA's contact info in order to request a replacement card.

The whole thing was a mess, and I am partly to blame for not having the contact info for each card available to me. I will be better prepared next time...but I hope it never happens again!
Oh. Sorry to hear of your troubles. Getting robbed is a terrible thing.
Old Jan 30, 2011, 5:56 pm

Programs: UA, AA, SPG, HH

It's good that you were able to learn something from such a stressful situation.

As you alluded to one of the things that I do (and advise any friends or family that ask me for travel tips to do) is to type up a sheet with the contact info for all the banks whose debit and credit cards I will be carrying during my trip.

I then email a copy of this to myself and store it in my phone AND print out a copy and tuck it away in my luggage. That way you are almost guaranteed to have the necessary contact info should you need it.

As you said figuring out how to dial international collect can be quite an adventure though. The few times I've needed to do it it was still a pain in the butt.

One thing that I've done when I didn't have the patience or know-how to dial Intl. collect is to stop by an internet cafe and use Skype to dial in to the standard American style 1-800 #. This is very useful in a jam.

Hope these tips help someone somewhere sometime in the future!
Old Jan 30, 2011, 6:12 pm
Suspended

Programs: DL SM, UA MP.
I store my credit cards along with contact info on 1Password app for the iPhone and the Mac client software.

NFC is rumored to be coming to iPhones and that might make alleviate situations like this. I'd be happy if I could use my CC in Europe where a lot of things require the chipped cards they issue over there.

Tried to get gas once in France and took awhile to find a station manned by a person who could swipe the card.
Old Jan 31, 2011, 1:45 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by wco81
I store my credit cards along with contact info on 1Password app for the iPhone and the Mac client software.

NFC is rumored to be coming to iPhones and that might make alleviate situations like this. I'd be happy if I could use my CC in Europe where a lot of things require the chipped cards they issue over there.

Tried to get gas once in France and took awhile to find a station manned by a person who could swipe the card.
We have learned that lesson and we always fill up the tank whenever we see a manned gas station.

In Switzerland and France on weekends, there are very very very few manned gas stations open. We almost got stranded on a long weekend near Geneva as we had no idea it was a long weekend.
Old Jan 31, 2011, 7:25 am

FIA closed my other FIA card (initially also was a Schwab card) that I had specifically requested NOT to close nor merge with the current FIA card (the 2% Schwab card) because I still have some WorldPoint on it but not enough to redeem the cash reward, due to inactivity. I pleaded them to re-open it to no avail.

Then the card was declined when I made an online purchase at Vueling for airline tickets. I called and got transferred twice before got to the "right" dept where the rep wasn't too helpful, and had misunderstood me a few times - when I explained I tried to purchase tickets from BCN to GRX, he thought I was in Europe... I had to repeatedly tell him I was at HOME, right in front of my computer and was very frustrated because the transactions failed due to the charges were blocked... It took a good while to make him understand my card was in my possession and FIA needed to lift up the blockage... I have multiple tickets and train tickets to purchase from European LCCs and national trains in coming weeks and I hope it would not be as frustrating experience as the one I just have experienced.

The services indeed have gone worse from the days Schwab still owned it, even though it was managed by FIA - somehow we cardholders got better treatments when Schwab's name still on it.
I had the exact same experience with FIA last spring while trying to book train tickets on websites for the national train systems in France, Germany and Denmark. I even had an FIA security agent on the phone telling me that the charge would go through, then with the agent still on the phone I would hit "Send" and the charge would again be blocked. Finally they just pulled all security off my card completely and the charges went through, though carrying a card with that status is a little frightening.

Overall, I have found FIAs people anxious to please, but that security system is like a runaway beast that no one seems able to control.

Last edited by Mountain Trader; Jan 31, 2011 at 8:59 am
Old Jan 31, 2011, 7:04 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

When you are actually traveling and you have informed FIA ahead of time of your travel plan, the card actually works without glitch.

It is when you are at home trying to buy tickets from foreign airlines or national train system, you run into all sorts of security blockages.

Last year I was not able to buy tickets on Agean Air's site but was able to buy tickets from EasyJet without even needed to call FIA. Then when we were in Greece and Turkey we virtually only used the FIA card and had no issue.

Problem is, you are at home, and should not need to call to tell them the moment before you are ready to purchase something from foreign providers online... especially the transaction amount is just a couple hundreds. It is not like a $1 testing, nor a $5K big purchase, it is just 134xx Euro, and the charge was blocked. I did make the FIA fraud dept guy stayed on the phone with me when I tried the 3rd time to make the purchase. Luckily it went through.

I had purchased tickets to Alhambra since then, and the smallish transaction of 28 euro went through on first try.

We will see when it comes to buy tickets from Renfe... multiple purchases no less!
Old Jan 31, 2011, 7:18 pm

When you are actually traveling and you have informed FIA ahead of time of your travel plan, the card actually works without glitch.

It is when you are at home trying to buy tickets from foreign airlines or national train system, you run into all sorts of security blockages.

Last year I was not able to buy tickets on Agean Air's site but was able to buy tickets from EasyJet without even needed to call FIA. Then when we were in Greece and Turkey we virtually only used the FIA card and had no issue.

Problem is, you are at home, and should not need to call to tell them the moment before you are ready to purchase something from foreign providers online... especially the transaction amount is just a couple hundreds. It is not like a $1 testing, nor a $5K big purchase, it is just 134xx Euro, and the charge was blocked. I did make the FIA fraud dept guy stayed on the phone with me when I tried the 3rd time to make the purchase. Luckily it went through.

I had purchased tickets to Alhambra since then, and the smallish transaction of 28 euro went through on first try.

We will see when it comes to buy tickets from Renfe... multiple purchases no less!
Yeah. This happened to me on more than one occasion.

I'm not sure if they're overprotective, or their fraud-detection algorithm is just not very good.
Old Feb 1, 2011, 12:19 pm

Programs: STARS/LUMINOUS, PRIVE, FSPP, STARS, MO FAN Club, PEN Club, Bellini Club
Originally Posted by FlyMeToTheLooneyBin
Yeah. This happened to me on more than one occasion.

I'm not sure if they're overprotective, or their fraud-detection algorithm is just not very good.
I'm glad I haven't run into these issues. I have made numerous charges both online while in the US and in-country in China, Thailand, Indonesia, Mexico, Canada, Guatemala, Brazil, Peru, Chile, India, various European countries, Russia, Syria, UAE, Oman, Jordan, Kenya, Seychelles, Tanzania, etc with no issues whatsoever. And I've never bothered to inform FIA.
Old Mar 24, 2011, 2:38 pm
dw

Programs: DL Plat, AA Plat Pro, Marriott Titanium, IHG Diamond Amb
I just want to add that I called FIA today with some questions on this card-- the first time I've made a call to customer service since the transition away from the Schwab branding-- and I have to agree with other posters here that the customer service has really gone downhill. I was inquiring about the possibility of doing a conversion to a different card product. (I know, why would I be crazy to give this up? But to be honest, with certain hotel cards getting me--in my perception-- at least 2% back, and with several other cards now offering, or about to offer, no forex fees, this card has been largely unused.) I was literally transferred from person to person, department to department, and it wasn't until I spoke to a FIFTH person that she confirmed for me that conversions are not possible. (To be honest, I'm not even sure if that was an accurate answer or if she just said that to get me off the line.)

I imagine that if I were actually having difficulties with this card, i.e. if I was out of the country and it was stolen or the number compromised, or if I was having a dispute over a charge, that it would be very difficult to work with the CSRs to get an issue resolved.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.