Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > Credit Card Programs
Reload this Page >

Schwab Invest Visa? 2% cash back on everything? [Discontinued card]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Schwab Invest Visa? 2% cash back on everything? [Discontinued card]

Search this Thread

Old Jun 14, 2009, 8:53 pm

Programs: OnePass, MilesPlus, AAdvantage, SkyMiles (unfortunately), PC Plat, HH Silver, Marriott Aluminium
Debit Card benefits?

Heading over to Europe next month and was pleased to know I've got a Schwab VISA for all my fee-free ATM transactions while there. Then I realized the card is a platinum check card VISA debit version. Will this card also provide fee-free foreign transactions?
Old Jun 14, 2009, 9:01 pm

Programs: SPG, AA, BA, CO, UA, US, B6, DL, Amex MR, HH
No - the debit card associated with the High Yield Checking account only gets ATM fees refunded, but does have foreign currency transaction fees associated with it. Only the Schwab Visa Credit Card has the fee-free foreign transactions - sign up here : http://www.schwab.com/public/schwab/...l2=credit_card
Old Jun 15, 2009, 10:33 am

Programs: OnePass, MilesPlus, AAdvantage, SkyMiles (unfortunately), PC Plat, HH Silver, Marriott Aluminium
Originally Posted by dinosims
No - the debit card associated with the High Yield Checking account only gets ATM fees refunded, but does have foreign currency transaction fees associated with it. Only the Schwab Visa Credit Card has the fee-free foreign transactions - sign up here : http://www.schwab.com/public/schwab/...l2=credit_card
I was perusing through the Schwab website but couldn't locate any reference to specific figures for those foreign currency transaction fees. Would they be a set fee for each transaction or a set percentage of whatever the currency transaction total is? Thanks for your help.
Old Jun 15, 2009, 11:22 am

Most credit cards have a fee of about 3% of the transaction total (I think Amex has 2.7%). When using the Schwab Credit Card abroad, they do not charge that transaction fee.
Old Jun 15, 2009, 2:00 pm

Most credit cards have a fee of about 3% of the transaction total (I think Amex has 2.7%). When using the Schwab Credit Card abroad, they do not charge that transaction fee.
I know their credit card has no such fees. I was asking about the debit card.
Old Jun 15, 2009, 3:12 pm

You know, I can't find it either. However, on the Credit Card page, it explicitly states that there are no foreign transaction fees, while on the Checking account page, it doesn't have that listed as one of the benefits - so I'm assuming that means that purchases made using the debit card would be subject to that fee.
Old Jun 15, 2009, 3:44 pm
dw

Programs: DL Plat, AA Plat Pro, Marriott Titanium, IHG Diamond Amb
I have the check card that is linked to the Schwab One brokerage account (not the checking account). While the disclosure material I received with the check card indicated that a 1% fee would apply for foreign withdrawals, in my experience so far that fee has not been applied. (I.E. the exchange rate I received from withdrawing cash at foreign ATMs have been nearly identical to the exchange rate I have received when using my Schwab Visa, for transactions posting on the same day.)
Old Jun 16, 2009, 6:46 am

Programs: UA (former CO), TrueBlue, Etc.
Well, although it isn't straight from Schwab, the following is on the FlyerGuide Credit/Debit/ATM Wiki page:

Schwab - Visa/Plus - 0% ATM - 0% POS - Confirmed 3/2009 by use. Reimburses unlimited ATM-owner fees, but often fails to automatically reimburse overseas ATM-owner fees that are not broken out from the withdrawal amount (you will need to call customer service to get these fees reimbursed--save your receipts and hang up and call back if you get a customer service rep who is unfamiliar with the issue). Daily withdrawal limit = $500 for basic card, $2000 for Platinum Check Card (which most customers seem to automatically get). Note 0% is confirmed for ATM withdrawals from High Yield Investor Checking account, but 1% may be charged (unconfirmed) for ATM withdrawals directly from SchwabOne Brokerage or other SchwabBank account types.
http://www.flyerguide.com/wiki/index...reign_Exchange
Old Jun 16, 2009, 4:51 pm
Zeb

New AmEx card from Bank of America.

According to the Cust. Rep. this credit card has a total foreign transaction fee of 1% and not 3% as the (great) table associated with this forum states. B of A does not add its own fee to the 1% AmEx charges, according to the Rep. Can someone confirm this and then if appropriate change the table?
Old Jun 16, 2009, 6:34 pm

Programs: DL DM, AA ExPlt, Diamond HH, HY, BW, & Titanium Elite Marriott
YES - Mine does! Confirmed verbally with CSR before leaving for Europe. Confirmed in practice on bill.
Old Jun 17, 2009, 8:52 am

Originally Posted by EasternTraveler
YES - Mine does! Confirmed verbally with CSR before leaving for Europe. Confirmed in practice on bill.
Can you explain further? Was this a debit card drawing on a checking, savings or brokerage account? Did you swipe-and-sign at point-of-sale or use it to withdraw money from an ATM?

In my and my friends' experiences, foreign ATM transactions with the Schwab High Yield Investor Checking account are completely fee free. The exchange rates are equal to or better than other fee-free accounts (like TD Bank and Citigold) and no additional fees were charged on the statement.
Old Jun 17, 2009, 3:23 pm

Yes it is a Charles Schwab Visa Debit Card drawing on the High Yield Invester Checking account.

There is no charge what so ever or conversion fee when used to withdraw money at an ATM machine anywhere in the world.

Do NOT use it for purchases, it is not free for that.

That is why you have the Schwab 2% Visa credit card. Don't use the credit card at an ATM, it is not fee free there.
Old Jun 17, 2009, 3:25 pm

Recap:

1. Brokerage account = Lets you get the 2% cash back and good for investing.
2. Charles Schwab Visa credit card = 2% cash back on all purchases worldwide and no fees for purchases.
3. High Yield Invester checking account = Fee free ATM's world wide and no conversion fees.
4. Savings account = Good APR for parking money.
Old Jun 19, 2009, 1:10 am

As of right now, for some reason Schwab bank uses Electronic Funds Transfer to transfer between banks, while Schwab Brokerage uses MoneyLink. They're not linked at all, and so even if one has a bank attached to it, the other one won't. I even called up and asked if they could just transfer the info over, and they said I'd need to fill out another form. IIRC, there's an online form you can fill out (with the test deposits and all) for MoneyLink though - just click on the "online" link next to MoneyLink, under Services, Forms. Also, as long as you initially funded your checking from your brokerage account, you can transfer between the 2 using MoneyLink. So, what I've been doing is using moneylink to transfer into the brokerage, and then moneylink to transfer from the brokerage to the checking. Another way obviously would be to push it from the external bank directly into the checking....or just give in and fill out the forms.
Schwab is in the process of allowing online EFT's to/from their checking and savings accounts.

You can already move money between your checking/savings accounts and your brokerage account online.
Old Jun 19, 2009, 1:22 am

Originally Posted by EasternTraveler
Recap:

1. Brokerage account = Lets you get the 2% cash back and good for investing.
2. Charles Schwab Visa credit card = 2% cash back on all purchases worldwide and no fees for purchases.
3. High Yield Invester checking account = Fee free ATM's world wide and no conversion fees.
4. Savings account = Good APR for parking money.
This is great info but, just for the sake of adding a bit of balance to this thread, there are a few deal killers to this for me.

1. The Charles Schwab Visa credit card does not support real time Quicken downloads - just a monthly statement download via the FSI interface. And Schwab's (or FSI's) online payment interface sounds a bit quirky according to some posts. Now that's terrible news for someone like me who hasn't looked at a real statement or written a real check for over ten years.

2. As a secondary card, this is a major hassle for only 2% - gotta get a Schwab Visa card, Schwab brokerage account to deposit your rebates, Schwab brokerage account debit card to get your cash out of the brokerage account, Schwab checking card for zero fee ATM withdrawals, and a Schwab checking account to get the checking ATM/debit card.

Now if this was my primary card AND I was a drug runner, this might be really appealing. But I'd have to move a lot more cash subject to forex fees and ATM fees than I do now to make this worthwhile.

Has anyone checked to see if the Schwab Visa rebates 2% on $1 coin direct ships from the US Mint? Buy and redeposit a few $100K a month and you can quit your day job. But your FedEx guy will hate you and, at about 1,800 lbs per $100K, you'll literally be blowing out wheelbarrow tires on the way to the bank.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.